First go at...... (56k beware!)

Name
Robyn
Edit My Images
No
.....Rugby!

Birmingham and Solihull Bees -v- Bedford Blues. One thing I would have to say is that it's one of the trickiest things I';ve done - the game is so fast at times and keeping track of where the ball is is not easy. We also had to contend with the weather being mainly dull and overcast - I was at ISO1600 by the end and struggling for shutter speed even then, and on the odd occasion the sun did pop out it was shining straight at me (just out of spite, I'm sure of it!).

8208.jpg

8213.jpg

8214.jpg

8229.jpg

8248.jpg

8253.jpg

8270.jpg

8280.jpg

8291.jpg

8297.jpg

Comments most welcome - and yes, I do now want to have another go at it!

1. What a load of Arses
2. If I stick my tongue out I can throw it further
3. B'jesus the other side have thrown up a corpse!
4. Splitch! Weight loss the easy way.
5. Must .... kick... the .... egg shaped... ball...
6. Oi ... that dude in the funny hat is nicking our ball
7. Where is that ball thing?
8. hhhhhhHHHUP!
9. You put that hand any nearer and I'm gonna chunder..
10. It's not just cows that you can stick your arm up :)

Very good.
I'm impressed (seriously)

ROFL - Cheers for that - superb captions!

I love the chap with his tongue out - reminds me of a girl putting on mascara! (Oddly enough I decided not to say that to his face though!)

Excellent set of shots. Enjoyed looking through those.

Captions weren't bad either :)

Nice punchy, sharp shots them is. (y)

Excellent shots - Well Done

Were these all with the sigma?

Yes - Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG - and used a custom setting on the 30D to boost the saturation and contrast a bit as I knew the light was flat. That lens is a superb piece of kit for its cost - no question about it. Towards the end of the afternoon as the light was really falling off it struggled a little with AF'ing in servo focus mode. Other than that though, can't fault it.

Brilliant......#2 my favourite...

Lets have some more great viewing

Brilliant set of captures Witch.
You've managed to use the 30D and the Sigma to produce some brilliant results.

Inspires me to know what's possible, especially as I have the same combination ;) Thanks for that. :D

It was a horrible day on saturday, so to get these colours and shots is all the more impressive, well done and a really nice series (y)

A great set of action shots Witch ... and considering it is your first go I have to say ... I don't believe you ... (y)

Good sharp shots and lovely vibrant colours with loads of action ... liking them ... ;)

One small point as an observation ... some of the shots could have done with a more oof background perhaps ... just imo to aid concentration on the real subject ... :thinking:

:thinking: ... Wonders how good they will be after you've practised for a bit ... :D

:p

A great set of action shots Witch ... and considering it is your first go I have to say ... I don't believe you ... (y)

Good sharp shots and lovely vibrant colours with loads of action ... liking them ... ;)

One small point as an observation ... some of the shots could have done with a more oof background perhaps ... just imo to aid concentration on the real subject ... :thinking:

:thinking: ... Wonders how good they will be after you've practised for a bit ... :D

I'd have liked to have got the background more oof too to be honest - bit limited with a f4-5.6 at the long end though! now. once I've got a 70-200f2.8 with a 1.4x......! ;)

Excellent set Witch. Good shout with the saturation, it really worked well (y)

I could have boosted the saturation in PS afterwards but was glad in the end I made the call to do it in camera instead - made such a difference to the way the shots were appearing on screen I was feeling happier with my results.

Thanks for the comments guys - I was quite pleased with them I must admit, although there were a heck of a lot of duds I really felt I learnt something from it and was pushed well clear of my comfort zone! Definately want to go back and have another go! (y)

Back