first go at orbs

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
hello there.

I dont normally post in this section but im always looking for thinking of trying some of the stuff seen.

So here is my first go at doing light orbs, just in the garden.

DSC_3199 by stonedcamel, on Flickr

DSC_3194 by stonedcamel, on Flickr

DSC_3185 by stonedcamel, on Flickr

number 3 is my favourite :)

please be critical so i can learn and get better. I know the setting isnt the best but alright for my first attempt. these dont include the ones i deleted and i had to give up because i took the skin off my index finger from spinning the rope.... ouch

hope you like and thanks for looking

Hi Mark. Indeed, speaking as someone who has had a go at it, it's quite addictive, isn't it.

Whiile you have got the general idea spot on, it might be great if you could get hold of a torch where the bulb itself is more exposed. Just that in this case, as you spin the torch around, the sleeve around the bulb causes it to "go out of view". As a result the top, behind and bottom part of the orb becomes hidden and doesn't look as spectacular as it should do.
Then once you have got hold of such a torch, you need a more interesting location to do it in rather just your "back yard". A cave or a ruined building would do perfect if you feel brave enough to venture out at night (I get nervous being out with the camera after dark!).
However, since I will think of your effort as a test trial to gauge opinions, I reckon if you get hold of such a torch and put yourself in an interesting location, I reckon you will nail it as you got the right idea in terms of using the camera for it - although keeping the aperture at around F11 through 30 seconds might lift things up a bit more.

Go for it and have fun!

Last edited:
I would second that on the light source, needs to be visible from side on and above to get the Orb to really pop like an Orb should.

Again for a test it's a great start as you have to start somewhere. I find every-time I make/get something new the weathers awful so have to have a few wee plays in doors. Get out and about as soon as you can and get some better location to really get into it!

Nice One! The settings will come, once you get experimenting. As a starter, my 'base' is F7.1, ISO 200/400 depending on how dark, and the exposure to your liking, shorter = darker, longer = brighter :D

Back