First go at Rugby and first outing for my TP strap

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks to that nice man Marcel my TP Optech Strap turned up today. Amazed at how comfy it was I decided that I should get out with the camera. I then decided that the local Rugby match would make a interesting test. The weather was overcast so 800 - 1600 ISO was the order of the day. All shot in AV with Partial Metering.

Are they any good, how can I do them better?

Thanks for looking(y)

More on my Flickr if you're interested.

hi Mark, this is a good set, i know how hard the game is to photograph. My only tip from my experience would be to try and kneel down or else get one of those fisherman seat things to give a lower perspective on the players. It makes a big difference i think you will find.

hi Mark, this is a good set, i know how hard the game is to photograph. My only tip from my experience would be to try and kneel down or else get one of those fisherman seat things to give a lower perspective on the players. It makes a big difference i think you will find.

That's a good point thanks, I'll try that next time. I really enjoyed it, so suspect I'll return(y)

PS Rinaldo 1711 - thanks for the comments

Last edited:
5 could have been tidy but is a very good start. 1600 ISO all the way today....

Thanks DG, ISO1600 on the 400d is a bit noisy so needs a bit of nr to lose some grain. I assume you mean it could have been tidy if I hadn't managed to cut the top of the tackling players head off:shrug:.

Thanks for the comments though, having seen your rugby shots I think I have a long way to go.

Thanks for the postive comments folks, I really enjoyed the afternoon and am planning on going back again.

Gary....:rules::D.. I'm sure the Rugby fratenity will be able to think of a lot of captions, none of which would be fit to publish.

Thanks for the comments gingerjon.

I've been in touch with the club, they would like to meet me next time I go:cautious::D.

just out of interest who are the team in the red and black kit. i think i recognize one of them.

just out of interest who are the team in the red and black kit. i think i recognize one of them.
Hi Fudge, the team in red and black are Wymondham. Any help:shrug:

thought so . thats my home town. nice shots by the way particularly like no1 . pity you couldnt of asked him to turn the ball round so holt rfc was up the right way( i m sure that would of gone down well ):LOL:

thought so . thats my home town. nice shots by the way particularly like no1 . pity you couldnt of asked him to turn the ball round so holt rfc was up the right way( i m sure that would of gone down well ):LOL:

Lol might try that, "excuse me mate but the composition of my photograph would be so much better if you'd just turn the ball round the other way......what's that you said about my mother!!":bat:

I'm sure some one far clever at PS than me could turn it round!

no 3 and 6 are worthy of a caption!

Great action in #5. It's always annoying when it's ridiculously dark - looks like you did a good job though!

Thanks Rob. It did get far to dark for any meaningful photographs late on in the game, so I packed the camera away and enjoyed the match.

You did well Mark, I remember taking photographs at Kingston Park (Newcastle Falcons Ground) in the evening once, after half time it was impossible to take any photos because it was Dark and the flood lights don't seem to help at all.

taken 21 Aug 08 at 19:59 - ISO: 800 Aperture:f/5.6 Focal Length:350 mm 1/640 sec
2785422574_c30899281a.jpg

taken 21 Aug 08 at 19:50 - ISO: 800 Aperture:f/5.6 Focal Length:400 mm 1/500 sec
2784568047_ac2053dfd3.jpg

taken 21 Aug 08 at 20:55 - ISO: 1600 Aperture:f/5.6 Focal Length:320 mm 1/400sec
2796989005_a4111474c4.jpg

All taken with a Canon EOS 30D and Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens - Lot of noise in the last one, I think that was the last photo I took as it was to dark.

Nice set there Kerry, looks like rain tomorrow so I may give it a miss, unless I can sort out some waterproofing for the camera.

Back