|First go at taking motorcross!

Name
CAROL
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I have a day at a motorcross meeting in Shropshire, these are a few of the results, can you tell me were Im going wrong thanks
cas
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/sewstunning/IMG_6002.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/sewstunning/IMG_5901.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/sewstunning/IMG_5919.jpg

IMG_5964.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/sewstunning/IMG_5972.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/sewstunning/IMG_5993.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/sewstunning/IMG_6031.jpg
IMG_5973.jpg

Last edited:
A good set of shots really capturing the event well:clap:

Did you know you can paste the IMG code straight from photobucket into the thread to bring up the pic.

Cheers
Phil

It's the IMG Code that you want to use in your post, rather than the direct link. When you're viewing your album in Photobucket, there are 4 codes under each thumbnail. The IMG code is the bottom one. A single left click will copy this code, then you can paste it to your post. :D

Makes it easier for everyone (y)

Shots are looking good though... :)

Think your along the right lines with most of them, although for me id like to see the rider sharper so either brush up on your panning or use a faster shutter speed. I like the blured back ground, but if the rider id out of focus its off putting for me.

As far as jump shots go i also quite like to see the ground were possible to to give some perspective. Stick with it though. Motocross is a great sport to photograph (and take part in!)

If you want some idea's feel free to have a look at my Flickr page-May or may not be your cup of tea-Not the most mind blowing stuff-Spose il let you judge for yourself!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/click466/

I'm no MX expert by a long way, but three things I use for MX are:

1) Some crazy angles - tilt the camera!

2) Avoid flat panning shots, don't really work IMHO

3) Stick to shutter priority and about 1/500 - fast enough to be sharp, slow enough to just keep a little wheel blur and also fast enough to catch flying dirt and hold it in the air.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies i will keep on with it!
i know they arent the the greatest of shots, but im learning :LOL: I love motocross and my friend of 35 years has 3 sons who are all top riders.
I keep looking at photo on here and saying to myself one day i will take a shot like that lol.

IMHO I think MX is an excllent subject for action photography - there is just so much crazy stuff to snap away at. Sounds like you have a chance to get into it, so go for it!

Great set for your first outing.. I'd echo the replies so far in that a bit more ground to give some perspective of height on the jumps would enhance the shots no end, but for a first go quite chuffed by your current results.

Stick with it and I look forward to some more in the future.

#7 for me, shows a bit of a contest going on :)

And sorry about this, you obviously had a bit of trouble getting them to show, but they're mostly over the 800 pix limit. I'm going to have to change them to links :p

Lol, no problem dod, im not sure what im doing! i tried to export by pixel size in photoshop but i have obviously not done it right! i will try again soon.
Thanks for all your replies and encouragement.
cas

Lol, no problem dod, im not sure what im doing! i tried to export by pixel size in photoshop but i have obviously not done it right! i will try again soon.
Thanks for all your replies and encouragement.
cas

I also use PhotoBucket, and what I do is, before I choose which files to import, select 'reduce to' - 640x480 or 800x600, in the drop down box. I usually go 640x480.

I've tried exporting my pics in the smaller size, then uploading them, but they don't look right for some reason :thinking:

Nice one, thanks I will get there one day soon :LOL:

Oli, I wouldn't trust a piece of free webware to re-size my photos for me like that - well not if I was trying to impress other tog's with them...

Besides, after a resize you really should apply another unsharp mask.

right, well i better go to the learning centre and find out what this is! Im very new to this. as this post and my attempts to post some photos shows.
thanks
cas

Oli, I wouldn't trust a piece of free webware to re-size my photos for me like that - well not if I was trying to impress other tog's with them...

Besides, after a resize you really should apply another unsharp mask.

Fair enough, but it's the only way I seem to get them looking decent. I've tried exporting them as re-sized, but after I upload them they look terrible. It's got me puzzled, so any suggestions welcome :)

To size them, sort them out in Photoshop as you want them to look. Always do all of your PP on the full sized image. Make sure unsharp mask is the last thing you do.

When you are happy, save it out full sized (for future reference - and don't use save for web!! Also make sure you set your jpg quality to 10 - it defaults to about 7 if I remember!), then do an image resize (on CS2 its under image/image size).

Set the width or the height to 800 on the long edge, make sure you have "constrain proportions" ticked and the other edge will adjust to the appropriate value - it might not be "600" depending on your orginal image size - think my 30D makes this 533..

Do another unsharp mask to clean it up once more and save this out as your "800x600" forum posting version of your pic. Again make sure you use "save as" and not "save for web" and that your jpg quality setting is max'ed out at 10.

Upload this to photobucket/imageshack/your own website - making sure the thing isn't going to try and resize it for you and then link it to the forum with the "img" tag wrapped around the URL location of your photo....

If you do this then you will be showing your photos to us all in the best possible light and not some messed up shape :D

Hmmm... well I take all that on board. Makes sense. Thing is, I use Apple's Aperture. Obviously it's a lot different to CS2 (which I don't have, but do have Elements 5), but basically you process your RAW's, and simply export them as and when they are needed. So if I am uploading a set for use on my website, for example, I simply go to Export, and choose size, quality etc, from there. I've tried exporting an image at 800 pixels longest side, for TP forum, and they just look pants. Almost pixelated. Even though image quality is set to max.

They look much better (like, good) when I import them to PhotoBucket from full size, and choose which size to convert them to. :thinking:

I can't help you with your Mac problem... well, other than telling you where you could buy a PC that is ;-)

Got one right beside me :D

Anyway, I THINK I'm doing things ok for me. But perhaps I shouldn't dish it out as advice, as I'm probably saying the wrong thing for those using PC's :bonk:

well i took your advice and its fine for me jus now, im on a steep learning curve here and any help is fantastic

Yep, me still learning too. Especially on this kind of thing.

Mind, I'd take note of the procedure desantnik has described. Like he says; you want to make sure your pics look their BEST when you're showing them off to other togs.

In the meantime I'm going to do a bit of research on what's best for my set-up.

(y)

Back