First HDR Photo

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
After being inspired by some HDR photos, I wanted to become familiar with the process - I've got magic lantern which made taking the photos easy.. and then lightroom and photoshop, and it seems it couldn't be easier!

Now when I'm out and about I'll be sure to think about taking multiple exposures.

Here is my 'test' shot from outside my house -

Starry, starry night.
Paint your palette blue and grey,

Starry Starry Night by dancook1982, on Flickr

I was quite pleased to see how the stars could be exposed with the rest of the image - I'd like to try out some more night time HDR

If anyone has input about using photoshop for HDR processing - perhaps they'd recommend a dedicate piece of software for it as an alternative? perhaps one that integrates with lightroom. Photoshop seems to have few options, but if it's enough - it's enough!

i use oloneo photo engine for my hdr forays...which arent that often
i do think your street lamps are a bit over the top relevant to your stars and a shot like this is truly a candidate for hdr..but comes over a bit harsh
did you try to do it in colour as well

cheers
geoff

Here's a colour 'example' - white balance isn't easy.. if I counter the yellow too much the sky turns too blue..

Colour HDR example by dancook1982, on Flickr

Finding it difficult to tone down the street lamps without losing the stars - would probably need to spend time in photoshop

Dedicated software - Photmatix makes it very easy.

Here's a colour 'example' - white balance isn't easy.. if I counter the yellow too much the sky turns too blue..

Colour HDR example by dancook1982, on Flickr

Finding it difficult to tone down the street lamps without losing the stars - would probably need to spend time in photoshop

night-HDR by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

use software which separates the colours into discrete sliders
lightroom 3 does this for me..does the edit seem to be as you would like it?

cheers
geoff

Last edited:
i think HDR is a matter of personal taste. I am not into the first set but absolutely love the second set.

Nice work

Agree with Baldy27 - HDR is a matter of personal taste and it is often 'overdone' in my opinion. First shot is OK but clearly HDR whereas the second lot on the road bridge is much better and uses HDR for it's main purpose (as far as i'm concerned anyway) to help improve the dynamic range in your shots.

Thanks, I started using photomatix for more control of HDR processing

Some nice shots there. Love the sunset picture. I like HDR when it's really subtle but can understand why it's not to everyones taste.

Some nice shots there. Love the sunset picture. I like HDR when it's really subtle but can understand why it's not to everyones taste.

i think the author of an hdr shot must explain why they thought that media enhanced their shot
in terms of exposure latitude i can see that hdr will contain a range of exposures overlapped so that they can be manipulated to make an overall result of lower highlights and higher lowlights...as i understand
when i started off with the hdr kick i was butchering the shot to death with ott slider applications...no where had i raised u-ex or lowered o-ex to any effect

i think a google of a hdr shot is worth a look

cheers
geoff

Geoffs advice is spot on, I see it all the time with people slamming the sliders about, sometimes all they need is a small tweak.
I personally do not like photomatix and use hdr pro from niksoft

9783360945_af4f38bac6_c.jpg

use software which separates the colours into discrete sliders
lightroom 3 does this for me..does the edit seem to be as you would like it?

cheers
geoff

....I really like this and particularly because what has happened to the street lamp.

I take the view that HDR is usually better looking when it's very obvious that it has been applied.

Last edited:
....I really like this and particularly because what has happened to the street lamp.

I take the view that HDR is usually better looking when it's very obvious that it has been applied.

thanks Robin
i really wish i could get some images to try out HDR in the correct way..ie getting the exposures to meld and make a more dynamic shot

i did some on a couple of churches where in mid day sun there were a lot of shadows and shot 7 images at 1/3...the lower exposures burnt out a lot but i managed to select 4-5 which afforded some base to manipulate
appreciate your comments
cheers
geoff

Last edited:
Hi Geoff,

That church shot is so 3-dimensional. Love the composition which draws the eye down the paths into the distance.

The image looks like a very realistic architectural scale model. I'm not saying this is a bad thing but only how the image strikes me. I rather like it and if it was 6 x 4 I think it could make a very saleable postcard.

Chocolate box? Jigsaw kit? - Personally I see nothing wrong with that. It's just another photo style.

no. 5 of the second set i think is a cracker good work HDR is a pain but keep with it i love HDR photos (y)

Hi Geoff,

That church shot is so 3-dimensional. Love the composition which draws the eye down the paths into the distance.

The image looks like a very realistic architectural scale model. I'm not saying this is a bad thing but only how the image strikes me. I rather like it and if it was 6 x 4 I think it could make a very saleable postcard.

Chocolate box? Jigsaw kit? - Personally I see nothing wrong with that. It's just another photo style.

thanks Robin
i took this with two others for an article my friend is writing on eco friendly graveyards...ie plenty of plants and berries etc for the birds and not to well manicured
hope it gets published...will let EVERYONE!! know of course

cheers
geoff

I really like that Guildford HDR shot, I have just started to learn how to do it using Photoshop but nothing good enough to show yet.

I certainly prefer the black and white to the color. You need to get a little detail in the street light bulbs and it is possible with an extremely underexposed image added into your HDR mix of exposures. It may require minus 8 or10 stops to record some detail in the bulbs. You can also darken that area by making a contrast mask to add some tone to the bulb area. I have found that HDR images can be over done, especially with color. Try to make your HRD images as believable as possible by toning down the HDR effect and the concentration of the color. You will also need to deal with the increased noise in the image from long exposures and the HDR compression.

Back