first Model Shoot

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
My first model shoot with the lovely Emma King, taken outdoors while the sun was ( almost ) shining at the local Coombe woods Gardens

15233149641_6e1d182fec_c.jpg

15235861412_34966f4fdd_c.jpg

15233158251_31d01ceda0_c.jpg

15049675318_165afd98f2_c.jpg

15049492249_e18559a449_c.jpg

15235874862_390426f974_c.jpg

15049566440_24baa6af68_c.jpg

15236263035_73f1609c75_c.jpg

better than my indoor shoots lol! i think more smiles and poses would have been nice but then Emma is also pretty new and building on her PF for plus size model work ( shes done some fashions and catalogue stuff already ) but her current shots were done quite some time ago and are rather dated and poor quality.
they are pretty much sooc with just the tiniest bit of exposure adjustments and the above are just a few of the around 200 shots taken today

Did you use a flash or any lighting? There are quite a lot of shadows, especially her face/eyes, in most of them.

Right, I've just ritually disembowelled my four year old for coming up and spazzing out my PC wiping the reply I'd just crafted. So I'll start again...

Technical: Light is your GOD (unless you have a god and then you just need to love it like ice cream or cheese or fish and chips). The first thing you need to do when choosing the location is find the light - especially when the only other source you have is an on camera flash. Look at numbers 4 and 5. See how the light is decent and even? Okay, it's safe, but you can use it. She is nicely exposed and there is light in her eyes. The other ones... well, let's just say that no model looks good with panda eyes. I can see you've tried to correct it with some fill, but not wholly successfully. Avoid broken sunshine until you really know your shizzle. It's hard to work with and you need to have been sleeping with light and be really intimate with her first otherwise the dapple will kick you in the balls (if you are into that ignore the metaphor).

Posing and chemistry: Okay, so the model is new and you're new - the blind leading the blind. :) Number 5 is okay - she has a ghost of a smile and she looks a little more relaxed than the others. She needs to be more side on, more extended and freer though. Get her to MOVE not pose. Suggest that she works at home in front of a mirror just gliding between poses whilst listening to music so she can be relaxed and free. The other, frankly, look like the kind of shots you take when you're testing the light. She looks lost, which, of course, she is.

How can you help her? Interact, chat, don't fret and keep chimping, laugh, tell jokes, ask her questions about her day, her life, her favourite cheese (see the theme here?). your job is to help her relax, to guide her, to make her feel awesome. You want her to sizzle and feel a million squids when she looks at the camera. BE READY to grab those fleeting moments.

I'd write more, but I need my dried frog pills...

thanks for the indepth reply i was using speedlite for most shots as it was pretty much overcast but didnt want to risk overdoing the exposure. oddly when the sun did come out about an hour or so in the images are alot harsher with the shadows and so was playing with fill flash to try and help. location wasnt to bad but alot of high trees so dappled light when it did come through and was moving around to several different spots ( plus 3 outfit changes ).. dreaded bra strap also kept making an appearance which was frustrating but being a ratehr top heavy gal wasnt quite suiitable to remove the offending things lol.
I did have my 5 in one reflector with me but wasnt quite successful in getting the angle right and no assistant to help hold it!
still its all a learning curve and enjoyed the first outing!

yes i know that, i worded it badly what i meant in that the light being much harsher actually made the shots much harder to deal with between the trees and whatnot because of the harsh shardows and light.
saying all that i dont particuarly agree with or like shadowless images as soft shadows can define a persons features and all to often you see high key featureless images that have been overblown to within an inch of there lives.

the 5th image is the best of the bunch. The light is about right and even, and there is a glint of expression, but you could have gotten more from her.

read up on lighting, posing and clothing for larger models, there are lots of trick that dont involve Photoshopping them :)

clothing were her own that she bought along, as for photoshopping there isnt any other than some minor exp adjustments

I don't want to be rude but smiling would have helped her a lot. Likewise a bit of posing suitable for her size. There was an excellent article on here a whole ago about posing plus size models.

Shooting straight on makes her look really fat, research slimming poses.
thats a pretty disgusting thing to say, shes a PLUS sized model and proud of her size shes NOT trying to look slim... ive heeard some pretty idiotic comments but that really takes the biscuit

thats a pretty disgusting thing to say, shes a PLUS sized model and proud of her size shes NOT trying to look slim... ive heeard some pretty idiotic comments but that really takes the biscuit

The whole objective of taking a portrait is to accentuate the subject's good bits and hide their flaws. I was just giving constructive criticism and telling it how i see it "no sugar coating". If this is idiotic then I'm an idiot but all this shows is your ignorance and unfortunately if you keep this attitude up and not take on-board what others with helpful insight say then you will never progress in anything in life.

For the record she isn't even class as plus size, plus size would be the average woman you see walking around.

sorry but you have no clue what your talking about and frankly are talking b*****ks. Firstly by calling a model fat is a disgraceful insult and shows your total and utter pathetic ignorance as a human being.
She has been modelling as a PLUS size model for around 3 years and featured in several fashion magazines so you clearly know f*** all about what a plus size is either.

nothing you said was a helpful insight it was an attack and insult pure and simple.
and sorry but if you think the object of taking a portrait is the accentuate a subjects good bits then you have A LOT to learn .
as for hiding flaws... do you have a body issue with people ?

do you know there are some models out there who have serious scars.. yet are proud to display them.. are they flaws? clearly in your eyes i think they are.

with your attitude you wouldnt last 5 minutes and i suggest you take your narrow minded views of the female form back under the rock you crawled out from

Several of the shots are actually ok, it's the posing that let's them down the most, in my opinion.
My initial impression was that she's never done any modelling before, yet she has around 3 years modelling experience. Were you directing the poses?

sorry but you have no clue what your talking about and frankly are talking b*****ks. Firstly by calling a model fat is a disgraceful insult and shows your total and utter pathetic ignorance as a human being.
She has been modelling as a PLUS size model for around 3 years and featured in several fashion magazines so you clearly know f*** all about what a plus size is either.

nothing you said was a helpful insight it was an attack and insult pure and simple.
and sorry but if you think the object of taking a portrait is the accentuate a subjects good bits then you have A LOT to learn .
as for hiding flaws... do you have a body issue with people ?

do you know there are some models out there who have serious scars.. yet are proud to display them.. are they flaws? clearly in your eyes i think they are.

with your attitude you wouldnt last 5 minutes and i suggest you take your narrow minded views of the female form back under the rock you crawled out from

I thought i was speaking to the photographer here and not the model, so how does the model's feelings come into this? Simply put, the poses weren't great and they let the model down.

Several of the shots are actually ok, it's the posing that let's them down the most, in my opinion.
My initial impression was that she's never done any modelling before, yet she has around 3 years modelling experience. Were you directing the poses?

Just proves my point!

Good luck on your photography endeavors. :wave:

I thought i was speaking to the photographer here and not the model, so how does the model's feelings come into this? Simply put, the poses weren't great and they let the model down.

Just proves my point!

Good luck on your photography endeavors. :wave:

I think you could have put your point across in a less insulting way.

The whole objective of taking a portrait is to accentuate the subject's good bits and hide their flaws. I was just giving constructive criticism and telling it how i see it "no sugar coating". If this is idiotic then I'm an idiot but all this shows is your ignorance and unfortunately if you keep this attitude up and not take on-board what others with helpful insight say then you will never progress in anything in life.

For the record she isn't even class as plus size, plus size would be the average woman you see walking around.

Mario, you need to read the rules of the forum. No commenting on the models looks, size or age.

......makes her look really fat.....

Reminds me of something my dear old gran would come out with.....but she's 93 and has dementia - what's your excuse?

To this day I'm amazed that people still don't know how to word things on forums so as not to appear jerks. There's 'not sugar coating it' and there's just being unnecessarily rude.

thought i was speaking to the photographer here and not the model, so how does the model's feelings come into this? Simply put, the poses weren't great and they let the model down.

another totally ignorant comment.... i wonder how many models would work with you knowing you feel that there feelings mean nothing.. i'll pass your comments on to other sites where the are model castings and bookings just so they know to avoid you

thought i was speaking to the photographer here and not the model, so how does the model's feelings come into this? Simply put, the poses weren't great and they let the model down.

another totally ignorant comment.... i wonder how many models would work with you knowing you feel that there feelings mean nothing.. i'll pass your comments on to other sites where the are model castings and bookings just so they know to avoid you
Do as you wish!

Shooting straight on makes her look really fat, research slimming poses.
My initial comment was just saying that the poses where making her look larger than necessary.

You took it as i'm throwing insults at the model!

Weight comments aside, she looks bored and that's your real problem. Although other people could be more tactful, they are right and just because she's a plus sized model doesn't mean you can't play to the model's strengths rather than highlighting the fact she's a plus sized model.

looks are decieving and i highlighted the fact because clearly some people dont know what one is?
and nope she wasnt bored in fact quite the opposite BUT that was the look she wanted with the serious expression.. and shes over the moon with the shots so for me thats all that matters i think theres a huge issue with how people are "supposed " to look in pictures and certainly way to much airbrushing that goes on.
its very easy to throw a cheap shot at the model rather than actually have something useful or constructive to say and thats the one thing that really p***es me off about TP is the amount negative BS that gets spouted on here where it seems there are a few people who's sole goal is to p*** on other people.
i guess she looks bored here too?

15060666128_fd315c9fba_c.jpg

looks are decieving and i highlighted the fact because clearly some people dont know what one is?
and nope she wasnt bored in fact quite the opposite BUT that was the look she wanted with the serious expression.. and shes over the moon with the shots so for me thats all that matters i think theres a huge issue with how people are "supposed " to look in pictures and certainly way to much airbrushing that goes on.
its very easy to throw a cheap shot at the model rather than actually have something useful or constructive to say and thats the one thing that really p***es me off about TP is the amount negative BS that gets spouted on here where it seems there are a few people who's sole goal is to p*** on other people.
i guess she looks bored here too?

15060666128_fd315c9fba_c.jpg
Dean, if you want to improve you have to wipe "the model was happy so that's all that matters" from your vocabulary and your mind. Wash your mouth out with soap every single time you consider saying it. Models, unless they're very honest and skilled, ALWAYS love the shots of them UNLESS they are utterly terrible and even then they still love looking at themselves because they are most all narcissists. Photographers, however, should be totally and utterly critical of their work.

All that really matters is that the work you produce is the best you can do and that you are willing to improve. Take a look at Mancs baby shoot posted in this section. It is exemplary work, really stunning. Two years ago Mark was very average but he was willing to humbly listen and lessen from those willing to give him honest crit. Now he is amongst the best.

I gave you honest and extensive crit, but, yes, she does look bored. Don't be offended but instead look critically. She can look serious AND engaging, but in most of these the expression is strained and posed. Suck it up, learn and move on. We're mostly trying to help. :)

Last edited:
# 6 in your initial post is good as it looks like she is quite natural and looking at ease. The lighting is fairly good too.

The last photo you posted is not very flattering at all, the nostrils seem to jump out as a focal point and she looks like she is smelling something unpleasant, sorry :)

If you had been a few inches higher it would have made a lot of difference and given a way better image as her face is nicely lit and she is smiling.

in regards to the model was happy.. in this case she was.. shes a work colleague of my wife and my wife was with us on the day and they spent half the time laughing and joking about . her previous pf was around 12 images done about 3 years ago when she was doing some stage work and acting and though shes done modelling work over past few years it has been for ladies clothing and the shots ive seen that she had to do were all very neutral non smiling rather formal poses ( kaftans and long dresses ) so in that respect though she had done modelling it was on a very specific scale and type so limited in experience in that respect. Just a shame the postive constructive crits which i fully welcome get marred by idiotic keyboard warriors and trolls with nothing good to say.

in regards to the model was happy.. in this case she was.. shes a work colleague of my wife and my wife was with us on the day and they spent half the time laughing and joking about . her previous pf was around 12 images done about 3 years ago when she was doing some stage work and acting and though shes done modelling work over past few years it has been for ladies clothing and the shots ive seen that she had to do were all very neutral non smiling rather formal poses ( kaftans and long dresses ) so in that respect though she had done modelling it was on a very specific scale and type so limited in experience in that respect. Just a shame the postive constructive crits which i fully welcome get marred by idiotic keyboard warriors and trolls with nothing good to say.
Dean
re-read this...

Dean, if you want to improve you have to wipe "the model was happy so that's all that matters" from your vocabulary and your mind. Wash your mouth out with soap every single time you consider saying it. Models, unless they're very honest and skilled, ALWAYS love the shots of them UNLESS they are utterly terrible and even then they still love looking at themselves because they are most all narcissists. Photographers, however, should be totally and utterly critical of their work.

All that really matters is that the work you produce is the best you can do and that you are willing to improve. Take a look at Mancs baby shoot posted in this section. It is exemplary work, really stunning. Two years ago Mark was very average but he was willing to humbly listen and lessen from those willing to give him honest crit. Now he is amongst the best.

I gave you honest and extensive crit, but, yes, she does look bored. Don't be offended but instead look critically. She can look serious AND engaging, but in most of these the expression is strained and posed. Suck it up, learn and move on. We're mostly trying to help. :)
You're hanging on irrelevances. picking fights with the way people say things instead of taking on board their points. Yes there was a comment which really was put badly.

When we teased each other as kids, one of us would go to my dad and say 'Daaad, he's getting on my nerves', to which his response was always 'You should keep your nerves covered up'. Frankly, if you read the 'non pc' post without a desire to be insulted, there's really useful information in it.

The bottom line is, the lighting and posing and wardrobe could all do with tweaks. But if your response to that is 'well I like it and so does the model' then what's the point posting and asking for crit?

The bottom line is, the lighting and posing and wardrobe could all do with tweaks
"Tweak" implies a fairly minor adjustment and I think this is a good thing for a first go at photographing a model. This should be encouraging.

Back