Beginner First music gig shots

Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of nights ago I went to a gig with my camera as a favour to a friend. I usually stick to buildings but I like to try my hand at other things. Looking for tips on how to improve if anyone can help?

ISO was on auto due to horrible lighting, quite a bit of noise on some, but better than no image at all. My settings were a bit of a mess quite honestly, I chopped and changed a lot, it was just so fast paced and a very crowded venue. Lenses were my PC-E 24 (the only wide angle I own currently) and my little 50mm 1.8G.

The more input the better. I'm not shy of being told I'm wrong. Thank you so much

View attachment 3040 View attachment 3039 View attachment 3041
View attachment 3038

View attachment 3037

I think you have done well, these are really good for a first attempt.

Yes look good to me too.Did you just use available light on all of them ?

Gaz

Not a bad set at all, certainly doesn't show it's your first gig.

The shots look like flash balanced well with available light, if so good job. Big thumbs up for getting the full guitar in too, musicians often love this.

Hi all,

Thanks for the compliments! Very much appreciated and it spurs me on.

The lighting was mixed in all except the first and second, which have no flash iirc (because they turned on more lights towards the end of the performance...go figure).

There wasn't really anywhere to bounce the flash so I used a home made bounce card, it's sort of a foam, white one side, black the other and I velcro it on. It's about 20cm tall by 10cm wide so pushes a lot of light forwards, often too much I've been finding. I turned the flash all the way down to -2 for most of them, the exceptions being the outdoor shot and the one of the bass player, where you can see more flash.

If you look at the EXIF which you're welcome to do of course, you'll see the settings are messy. I felt rushed, it was busy and I kept having to ask people to move which is not a problem I usually have when I shoot architecture (my primary subject I suppose you could say).

Lots to learn, especially with the flash, I'm clueless, I just know not to use direct flash unless I'm pretending to be a photo journalist! lol

Last edited:

Lots to learn, especially with the flash, I'm clueless, I just know not to use direct flash unless I'm pretending to be a photo journalist! lol

I'm in the same boat as you - had a flash for Christmas (+wireless triggers) but not even tried them yet as working through the Syl Arena book - Speedliter's Handbook eg see

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedliters...UTF8&qid=1388490051&sr=1-3&keywords=syl+arena

I am up to page 47 and won't be reading anything about speedlites till page 70 because he begins with chapters on understanding light, and it is all good stuff.

The book is aimed specifically at Canon speedlites but is generally regarded as useful for all brands (mine isn't Canon so I hope that turns out to be true:))

+1

I do rather like the look of that Warwick Corvette bass in green, and Warwicks aren't usually my thing. :cool:

I'll pass that on, cheers. :)

The acoustic is a beautiful Martin, that I know :) Dont know anything about Bass at all. hehe

Last edited:
Very good for a first attempt. I'd maybe try forcing a bit more Bokeh if you get chance, pub venues never make for particularly nice backgrounds! Other than that, nice!

Back