First Outoor Portraits'

Name
Jay
Edit My Images
No
I went for a long walk with my girlfriend, Delia and I took a range of shots in some really nice settings by a canal and a park. I really enjoyed the shoot and working with natural lighting, it was however challenging at some points when I couldnt get the exposure I wanted.

I think the editing probably isn't perfect, but after playing around with a few different settings I'm a fan of emphasising the tones a little more than natural - but dont hesitate to say if you dont like anything about the shots!

Here they are:

#1 - Maybe a little 'in the shadows' - I had to burn in the highlights a little as it seemed a bit too bright.
3375179703_2d28b52bd0.jpg

3375358215_0441e45530.jpg

3375966602_be5de27875.jpg

#4 //Removed

3375778512_a5dd714ea9.jpg

#6 - My favourite out of the bunch
3375781444_8d4faff9ce.jpg

#7 I wanted to try out some fashion like poses, I really like this one.
3375779306_e5d8664f9d.jpg

#8 - Just to finish up, something a bit fun and casual
3374963105_144f33481a.jpg

#9 - Suggestion for a crop from a friend on Flickr
3376222779_e778f773fb.jpg

Let me know what you think, and dont hesitate to be completely honest :)

Jay.

Last edited:
The worst thing you can do in portraiture I think is make the pose look forced.

#3,#4 and #6 a little bit spring to mind.

She looks like she's struggling to maintain the pose in #3 and #4, and she looks like she's having to crouch slightly because of the curve in the wall.

Natural poses are fantastic, and my personal favourites are #1, #2 and #5.
You've exposed well, but I reckon a reflector to bounce some light onto the pretty face would be a useful tool.

These are ok, you have some nice poses going on there.

A few comments perhaps to consider next time. You may want to open up a bit bit (use a larger aperture/small f/number) to help blur the background.
A reflector to bounce some light back at the model or diffuser to soften the light on the model, would be worth considering.

All the exposures look ok to me, the first one doesn't look dark.

I think you have captured the persons character really well in these images - I agree though that some of the poses seem a little uncomfortable.

Lighting wise I think you achieved some good results in what seemed to be VERY bright lighting.

For a first attempt, I would say get out there and do some more!!!:clap::clap::clap:

For me num 4 is very posed.

as for the rest i love them

2, 5, 7, and 8 are wicked

and a £10 reflector from e bay using the gold would finish them off a treat

The worst thing you can do in portraiture I think is make the pose look forced.

#3,#4 and #6 a little bit spring to mind.

She looks like she's struggling to maintain the pose in #3 and #4, and she looks like she's having to crouch slightly because of the curve in the wall.

Natural poses are fantastic, and my personal favourites are #1, #2 and #5.
You've exposed well, but I reckon a reflector to bounce some light onto the pretty face would be a useful tool.

With a couple of the shots I wanted to try out a few poses I had scribbled down in my notepad, I guess this influence comes from fashion photography. I can definitely see how it looks forced/awkward though.

I definitely agree that the more natural poses are better as the model feels more comfortable, relaxed and kind of thinks less about the camera.

I would have loved to have an assistant for the shoot to aid with a reflector and a diffuser for some of the shots, this is definitely something to think about for my next shoot.

Thank you for your comments.

Oh, and I also really like #7. I think the pose has worked well, but I reckon if the mouth were slightly open it would just make the shot.

I did have a few shots like this but they weren't properly in focus, this was the best out of that style. That would have made it more of a fun shot though :) I agree!

These are ok, you have some nice poses going on there.

A few comments perhaps to consider next time. You may want to open up a bit bit (use a larger aperture/small f/number) to help blur the background.
A reflector to bounce some light back at the model or diffuser to soften the light on the model, would be worth considering.

All the exposures look ok to me, the first one doesn't look dark.

Thanks for the advice. With the aperture, I usually had it at f/5 or higher, the problem came where i'd have the aperture so high, the shutter speed was either too fast or too slow, resulting in under/overexposure.

I think you have captured the persons character really well in these images - I agree though that some of the poses seem a little uncomfortable.

Lighting wise I think you achieved some good results in what seemed to be VERY bright lighting.

For a first attempt, I would say get out there and do some more!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Thanks. Yeah as I mentioned above some of the poses were to try and create a fashion style, but thats something to work on for the next shoot.

It was very strong lighting and at some points it was hard to get the correct exposure.

Thanks (y)

Last edited:
For me num 4 is very posed.

as for the rest i love them

2, 5, 7, and 8 are wicked

and a £10 reflector from e bay using the gold would finish them off a treat

Thanks

I have a couple of reflectors (different sizes), but next time i'll need to bring an assistant with me :D

I really like them. Dont be afraid to push the exposure to the right without blowing the highlights then you can bring back the dark tones in PP. Aside from a slight PP push, these are lovely vibrant photos. Nice one. :)

I really like them. Dont be afraid to push the exposure to the right without blowing the highlights then you can bring back the dark tones in PP. Aside from a slight PP push, these are lovely vibrant photos. Nice one. :)

Thank you. :)

I think that I tend to underexpose and then fix it in the PP. I never really thought abought exposing the image a little more and then bringing down the darker tones, i'll give it a shot (y)

I'm going to process a few more images! I'm very happy with the feedback i've got so far, it's been great. And I cant wait to do another shoot!

Thank you. :)

I think that I tend to underexpose and then fix it in the PP. I never really thought abought exposing the image a little more and then bringing down the darker tones, i'll give it a shot (y)

I'm going to process a few more images! I'm very happy with the feedback i've got so far, it's been great. And I cant wait to do another shoot!

Cool - the current crop of urban portrait snappers - Lovegrove, Harkness, Wiliams all push the highlights as much as they can then bring the levels in to the right as can have a really nice ethereal effect.

Cool - the current crop of urban portrait snappers - Lovegrove, Harkness, Wiliams all push the highlights as much as they can then bring the levels in to the right as can have a really nice ethereal effect.

Ahhh I see!

That also reminds me of another guy that also posted on here who had an ehtereal like effect, it really does look impressive.

Definitely go for it rotherad, I had a great time yesterday taking these shots.

I've just added a #9th image that was suggested by a friend on Flickr.

3376222779_e778f773fb.jpg

Back