First panorama - church interior

What is to critique, a super piece of work and very impressive church also.

Amazing.....could almost be there. Wouldn't know where to start doing this kind of thing...

really good set well stitched together. Looks a fantastic church. Shame the north end windows have lost detail due to burnt highlights but still shows good technical skill to put together.

Steve

Very nice tour.

The church interior looks slightly over cooked to me, but overall very good.

Thanks for the feedback, I take on board the overcooked/over saturated comments, the place is kind of overcooked in real life but maybe I have pushed it a bit too far.

At least it seems to be working ok for others.

Beautiful work and a beautiful church, well done!

Carol

I think technically it is very good, although possibly a bit oversaturate.

These type panorama shots always leave me a bit cold though because there is very little of the building narrative or sense of the photographer that took it. I think a few well composed stills are able to convey much more about the building and the photographer than a stand in the middle of the room warts and all panorama.

I think a few well composed stills are able to convey much more about the building

I wouldn't disagree although I think these have a place too and can help to showcase a location.

Your portfolio is excellent btw, I aspire to that quality. (I do think someone at the Salvation Army is on LSD though ;) )

Absolutely love that. Can I ask:
How long did it take to photograph?
How did you get it into the visual editor?
What software did you use?

I really like the look of that and would like to try it when I am in Europe next month.
Thanks for sharing (y)

@ slobbit, bear in mind I am a newbie at this type of photography so any thing I say should be taken with a pinch of salt.

The actual photos only took minutes once I had set my nodal ninja pano head to the camera, I took 4 with an 8mm fisheye.

I used ptgui to stitch them and pano2vr to produce the flash and HTML 5 output.

Tbh the cost of lens/head/software probably makes this approach unreasonable for casual use.

@ slobbit, bear in mind I am a newbie at this type of photography so any thing I say should be taken with a pinch of salt.

The actual photos only took minutes once I had set my nodal ninja pano head to the camera, I took 4 with an 8mm fisheye.

I used ptgui to stitch them and pano2vr to produce the flash and HTML 5 output.

Tbh the cost of lens/head/software probably makes this approach unreasonable for casual use.

Did you train for it or read about or is it something you will use professionally?
You know when something grabs your attention and....
Oh No, this is going to be expensive :D

Did you train for it or read about or is it something you will use professionally?

I have no training, on-line tutorials etc.

Hi, This is an "EXCELLENT" piece of work. I've never seen anything like it or as good.(y)

I have no desire to try and replicate the excellent work you have done but you have just pointed me to yet another location I must visit and photograph. Great job.

I have no training, on-line tutorials etc.

Well done you then, as everyone agrees it is a great job and definitely inspiring. I like it so much I think I will look at trying to achieve something similar if I can cobble the bits together :D

Very nice :)

Perhaps taking all the shots as HDR first before processing into the virtual panorama stitch? Not the sickly over saturated HDR though... But just to get better DR for the spots like the Windows etc.

I recently did a regular panorama stitch of HDR pics and it worked out alright :)

Very nice!
As someone who is looking at 'getting into' this kind of photography it's very inspiring. You've done a good job on the Nadir and Zenith shots. Interesting that you used an 8mm fisheye (Sigma?) as the Nikon 16mm is well recommended ( or did you use the Olympus?).
I'm on the verge of getting one of 2 heads (M1 or Adjuste), have you any thoughts on this?
JohnyT

Last edited:
Johny,
I used the d800 with a cheap samyang 8mm, the one with the removable hood. This is a dx llens but without the hood nearly fills the full frame with the image circle. This allows a single row of shots to include zenith and nadir.

Regarding heads I really haven't got much of an idea, I have a second hand nodal ninja 5 that seems ok.

I'm really not qualified to offer tips on workflow etc. In this I imported raw to lr4, applied some adjustment to shadows sharpening and clarity etc then synced this across the images, export as tiff. Stitched in ptgui without correction. More processing tweaks to the resulting pano, saved as jpeg before outputting with pano2vr, nadir patched in pano2vr to remove tripod.

I have absolutely no idea if this is a decent workflow and tbh I experimented with random sizes for the pano and output trying to balance file size v image quality. It is more by luck than judgement that the results seem ok.

Last edited:
Thanks Sponner for that.....when you said you patched the nadir in pano2vr how did you do this as i notice you only shot one row.....did you take an extra shot? Can't get my head round this nadir thing.
Also, "stitched in PTgui without correction"...do you mean you already had the photos corrected in LR4?
Thanks
JohnyT

Last edited:
Johny I am very happy to share BUT please remember this is my first go so I am no expert.

pano2vr gives you the option to take out a segment of the 360 degree pano it creates, edit in ps or similar and than patch it back in. Initially you could see my tripod but I cloned it out, I didn't take nadir and zenith shots, the 8mm fish eye on a full frame D800 captures the full 180 degrees.

I left the images as uncorrected fisheye in LR and the magic pixies in ptgui stitched it without correcting for fisheye effect etc, I did make some fine tune adjustments to the control points etc.

The ptgui rectangular panorama created looks weird until you output it as the 360.

Last edited:
Back