first photo posted...

Name
jackie
Edit My Images
Yes
this is the first photo i have been able to post...please give me your opinion...i am very eager to improve.....
jackie

jem.jpg

You need a larger DoF. Try F.11 to F.22 as a bench mark for portraits. you used F2.8 at 50mm thats only around 4.09cm of DoF at 1meter away from subject or 16.8cm if 2meters from subject.

Use a scrim between natural light and the model to soften the highlights i.e. Her left shoulder.

Consider using a soft box towards the model even if at low power to lighten her face and even the shot out.

Its a nice pic but these points I feel could make it a great shot.

Phil

Last edited:
You need a larger DoF. Try F.11 to F.22 as a bench mark for portraits.

Use a srim between natural light and the model to soften the highlights i.e. Her left shoulder.

Consider using a soft box towards the model even if at low power to lighten her face and evening the shot out.

Its a nice pic but these points I feel could make it a great shot.

Phil

Why does she need a larger DOF?

Looks good to me I am also a little confused about why a DOF of F11 or F22 is needed, goes against everything I know or have been told.

The highlights work well for me as it backlights her somewhat, if I had to make any comment I would like to see her eyes clearer and the top of her head

Last edited:
If you use f/11 or f/22 indoors you are going to have to get light stands and shoot flash off camera.

Use natural light and shoot at f/2.8. If there isn't enough light indoors go outside. You will also get nice blurred backgrouds. Focus on the eyes and make sure you are getting a shutter speed of at least 1/60th. Thats my imput :)

so much for your comments i shall take it on board and try to do better in the future......
would you mind giving me your opinion on my 2 other photos....
thank you...
jackie

i like it

it looks like a very natural spontaneous kind of shot

i'm no expert but it works for me

Back