first photos

Name
Noman
Edit My Images
Yes
hi,

i am a complete beginner, i always want to get some catchy pictures and most of the the time i know what i want to do.
but it never works. I dont know if i am doing something wrong.
for example. i know how i should shoot a portrait but when i practically do it, it all looks like a dumb. :/

now this was the picture i took at Coventry, but i really need guide lines, how to and where should i start.
4562-1399588552-aec184ce902bb9972da03ca7b486a169.jpg

any reply would be great.. thanks

Hi nomee..

Was your focus point the monument of the leaves? The main thing you always need to get right is the horizon!

Can you list your camera and lenses?

Ok. As a picture it is not great. The obvious things are the point of interest, the blown out sky and the wonky horizon. The main point of interest should have been the monument. The leaves add nothing to the picture whatsoever. It looks like the light wasn't great which you can't do much about, but shooting from what looks like a shady position into the sky was always going to end up with blown highlights. Unless you were using filters. The buildings behind don't help with isolating the main point of interest. I suggest you post some more pics, because I'm sure you must have taken some better ones. Then we can help you improve.

@keenan I have canon 600d and it was a kit lens 18-55mm, but yes you are right about the horizon. how should i improve it or work on it. thanks

@dekeyboy yes i got some other pictures but didnt like much, i will post them and will let you know so you can guide me how to improve it. thanks so muc.

You need to get comfortable with the camera and know your way around it. For a beginner I would advise to use a single focal point (middle one) and once you focused on your intended subject recompose to get the picture you want.. use your viewfinders focal points as a guideline for a level horizon.

Last edited:
focus point is the leaves.....i would fill the frame with the leaves in this case as the rest of scene is just adding distraction. Unless the focus was well off??
Something caught you eye when taking the shot so fill the frame with that or you might have been trying to frame the statue with the leaves?

@Danzaroonie thanks for you feedback. yes i was actually trying to focus on leave but a little bit of scene from behind. like statue and something. a failed try.
i dont know how can i make leaves visible like proper green and the sky/the background not blown away. like in this one plain white.
@keenan yes certainly i will do now. i am much happy after hearing from you people. thanks alot.

If you are in Coventry, why not go to the old cathedral as that's an interesting location. Taking photos by the Lady Godiva statue isn't that easy with the shoppers all around. Or try Coombe Abbey. Or War Memorial Park maybe. Less busy, easier to practice.

If you are in Coventry, why not go to the old cathedral as that's an interesting location. Taking photos by the Lady Godiva statue isn't that easy with the shoppers all around. Or try Coombe Abbey. Or War Memorial Park maybe. Less busy, easier to practice.

Nomee take this advice and keep trying. It will all start to make sense.

@JAC40 thanks alot for the tip. yes i will definitely try and work on it.:banana:
@dekeyboy i tried it today and yes you are right. its working :clap:

@Danzaroonie thanks for you feedback. yes i was actually trying to focus on leave but a little bit of scene from behind. like statue and something. a failed try.
i dont know how can i make leaves visible like proper green and the sky/the background not blown away. like in this one plain white.
@keenan yes certainly i will do now. i am much happy after hearing from you people. thanks alot.

The leaves and sky algae such a different exposure range no camera would be able to capture both dynamic ranges. You would have to do an HDR shot which is around 3 different shots at 3 different exposures, this would capture the sky,mid range and then the leaves. Blending all the photos together using something like photomatix you get an HDR shot. Again thou the shot looks a bit too distracting and the idea of another location might be more ideal.

Back