First Pics with home studio gear - C&C Please!

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
The 6x7' Lastolite Hilite backround and vinyl floor train (clicky) and three head Elemental lighting kit (clicky) that I ordered last week all showed up yesterday. I want to give the 'high key' thing a try, initially just of my kids but eventually friends/family once I've got to grips with it all. On top of that I've only had my D700 a week so still getting to know it too (what an amazing piece of kit) - I'm spoilt I know!

Yesterday afternoon I set it all up for the first time without having a clue what I was doing - I had one of the heads firing inside the background, one just in front of the background lighting up the floor (mainly to blow out the vinly floor/background join) and one in front of the subject and too the left using a black reflective umbrella. Next time I definately think I need to use the snoot/barn doors to control the light behing the subject illuminating the floor, and need to experiment with the softbox and reflectors that were also included!

I took a few before the kids and my brother/wife got bored, C&C and lighting advice welcome please!!!!

All taken using Sigma 50mm F/1.4 at f/10 1/200, very little PP, WB and contrast adjusted a little using Capture NX2 most are slightly cropped...

486517817_SDdeu-L.jpg

486518217_BPm8s-X2.jpg

486518361_jhJia-X2.jpg

#4 (me taken by the wife)
486518857_KvsNL-L.jpg

#5 (the wifes " I'm going to kill you if you don't stop spending money" look!
486516151_AeYSh-L.jpg

486516675_ieLeF-X2.jpg

486518958_q3pWR-X2.jpg

I got some kit aswell and just starting off like you.
The shots youve done are great and TBH your friends and family are not going to want much more than what you already produce.

I have a cloth background and put 2 on the background and one with shoot-through brolly to my side as i take their photo. that pretty much isolates them and makes great photos for people wanting highkey stuff.

You are never going to totally get rid of shadows on the floor, hence why alot of my shots are taken with the backround only in shot. Works well :)

I recently got a home studio set up, if I can get results like that, I'll be well pleased!

Dave

Lovely pictures Phil - the white vinyl/background really works well.

It would appear we have similar aspirations....these are exactly the type of shots that I'd like to produce (kids/family/friends). I bet they'd make great presents when professionally printed. (y)

Keep it up. :)

Steve

No. 6 and 7 for me (ahh, where is the hash key on a MBP keyboard?)

These are excellent for a first start! And you mentioned that you hadn't a clue what you were doing!
You also said there was not much PP work done, again this is good, although I bet that Lastolite HiLite helps!

Well Done, keep shooting, and keep reading up.

djs

thanks for all the comments, much appreciated! I have a mate coming round on Wednesday with his daughter for shoot #2 so I better get reading...

I presume you referred to 'High Key' in inverted commas as you know these aren't high key shots but simply normal shots on a white background?

And fetchmytools - what's wrong with a few shadows? No shadows for me always looks too odd as people appear cut-out & floating, so please keep some of the shadow detail on the flooring

That said - these are a good 1st effort and you have every right to be happy with these. For me, I think the key light looks a little more harsh than is usual, especially for kid shots, so if you have one use a larger brolly/softbox or move it closer would be my recommendation

:clap:

DD

Back