First proper attempt at light painting: Lotus Elise

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I took my Elise over to my parents this evening, as they live out in the sticks (no light pollution!) and tried my hand at some light painting.

Silohuette-Light-Painting by apretext, on Flickr

This silhouette, I have played around a bit with in photoshop.

Unedited by apretext, on Flickr

This one is basically as shot (very small tweek to the exposure in lightroom).

So, what can I do better? I know at some point I do need a full size tripod, as these were all taken from a gorrliapod.

#1 has a certain ethereal quality which is not unattractive. #2 is a photo of the rear end of a yellow car in the dark.

#1 has a certain ethereal quality which is not unattractive. #2 is a photo of the rear end of a yellow car in the dark.

Ok, but how do I improve #2? What do I need to do differently?

Digitalize - I'll have a nother play at editing #1 and repost.

The second shot doesn't work too well for me, the main focal point of the photo is the wheel. I would rather be looking at the curves of the car and the wheels just be there to finish it off. I think you're maybe too low down and too close to the car.

What settings did you use on your camera?
A narrower aperture or lower ISO combined with some experimenting with your light source may give better results. I like to try and get some nice highlights on the car making it look really shiny.
I point the light downwards from high up and walk around the car slowly.

Some shots of the front would be good too.

Keep going though, you'll improve very quickly once you get used to it.

Cheers
Ian

Ginsters:
I think the settings were ISO 200, F/11. I know that I need to get higher up, I'll try and borrow a full size tripod.

How dark should it be when taking the photo? I notice most of the other Light painted photo's seem to have more going on in the background, but unless I illuminated it, you just didn't see anything.

What kind of torch were you using? I bought one of These from B&Q (also an 8W flourescent, but I didn't use that), I'm wondering if its a little too bright? It is focussable though, so maybe I just need to move a bit quicker. Most of the exposures ended up around 15 seconds, I initially tried a minute, but it was really, really overexposed.

If your exposures are only 15 seconds, that will explain you backgrounds being totally black. My Exposures are anything up to 90 seconds.

The car you've done is quite bright and probably quite reflective, I would lower your ISO and narrow your aperture. Also, don't stand too close with your light source, you can stand back a little. I tend to do the light painting quite slowly starting at one point and slowly working my way round.
If your getting overexposure, just keep narrowing the aperture until you don't

Shoot in RAW. My backgrounds are very dark even after 70 seconds, but shooting in RAW allows me to pull back all the detail afterwards in lightroom.
Also, you can shoot 2 shots, one for background and one for subject, then blend the two together afterwards if you know how to do it.

Cheers

Ok, I stacked the image with a massively over exposed version of my 60 second exposure. This is a really quick edit, so I know it looks sh....... er, anyway. I'm just wondering if this is more the sort of thing to aim for?

Quick-and-dirty-edit by apretext, on Flickr

First off - Lovely subject! :)

I do like the first shot, that works well.

The last shot is better for being able to see some background as per the latest edit, it just needs more editing to look more natural. But with that comp it's never going to be a great shot, great practice nonetheless :)

The key to good light painting is lots of exposures, then merge them in photoshop. Also - try not to go to tight on the subject :)

First off - Lovely subject! :)
Thanks, its been my pride and joy for 6 years!

I just looked at your FlickR light painting section, very impressive. Was it all done with that bike light rig? I have some foamex board (I'm a design engineer by trade, use it for presentations), so that whouldn't be too bad to create, probably use the 8W flourescent I got from B&Q.

If this isn't too stupid a question, how do you use it?

The key to good light painting is lots of exposures, then merge them in photoshop. Also - try not to go to tight on the subject :)

William, I notice you are in Chippenham, if I brought the car over to you at some point, do you fancy showing me how its done? I saw your Viper shots, they are what I'm aiming for!!

Last edited:
Thanks, its been my pride and joy for 6 years!

I just looked at your FlickR light painting section, very impressive. Was it all done with that bike light rig? I have some foamex board (I'm a design engineer by trade, use it for presentations), so that whouldn't be too bad to create, probably use the 8W flourescent I got from B&Q.

If this isn't too stupid a question, how do you use it?

I think you'd be better with a much brighter light than that flouro tbh. Try with a torch that has some decent power

I don't use that particular light box very often anymore, but the box I use now is very similar and made of the same stuff. The only difference now is the torch light points straight out of the box (square shaped box) and exits via some white diffuser type material.

I think you'd be better with a much brighter light than that flouro tbh. Try with a torch that has some decent power

I don't use that particular light box very often anymore, but the box I use now is very similar and made of the same stuff. The only difference now is the torch light points straight out of the box (square shaped box) and exits via some white diffuser type material.

I thought my torch was a bit too bright (210 Lumens on high), but maybe if I make a diffuser for it, it might be better. I guess with this sort of thing, its all about experimentation!

Well the torch I use is rated at 900 Lumens - this lets you move further away from the subject with it for a more even spread of light :)

Give Image 1 a 4:3 ratio (add some black to the top of the image), this will make the shot comply to the rule of thirds, creating a much stronger composition.

I would then experiment with text layers in PS, you could make a pretty cool 'teaser' ad (something like "it's coming" followed by a logo and a url).

Shot one has great potential, I really like it. Shot 2 simply is poor, for this reason, who wants to look at the back wheel of a car?!

Clearly a very talented photographer, just ditch shot 2!

Sid

Give Image 1 a 4:3 ratio (add some black to the top of the image), this will make the shot comply to the rule of thirds, creating a much stronger composition.

I would then experiment with text layers in PS, you could make a pretty cool 'teaser' ad (something like "it's coming" followed by a logo and a url).

Shot one has great potential, I really like it. Shot 2 simply is poor, for this reason, who wants to look at the back wheel of a car?!

Clearly a very talented photographer, just ditch shot 2!

Sid

I am most definitely not a talented photographer, but thankyou very much for the compliment!

I will have another go at it when it finally stops raining, Shot 2 ended up being more Photoshop practice than anything else, hopefully with a better composition next time I can produce something a bit better.

I think both myself (with Torch) and the camera need to be a little further away from the car next time.

I'll play around with image 1 as you've suggested, I'm taking the car to a dyno day on Saturday, so it might be fun to incorporate the results of that into a shot somehow.....

James, have you thought about doing star trails? You could use that touch to illuminate some foreground interest - could make a very good shot.

With the car, worth having another go, but I am sure that the front of the car is much more aesthetically pleasing than the back, try focusing on that.

Good Luck! Look forward to seeing the results!

James, have you thought about doing star trails? You could use that touch to illuminate some foreground interest - could make a very good shot.

Good Luck! Look forward to seeing the results!

I had thought of doing them, yes, I have no idea how long an exposure you need for them though, I know they are usually a stacked image in photoshop, but beyond that, I have no clue how to do them! I'm really only just starting out in photography, so I'm trying to vary what I do as much as possible, although obviously cars are a huge passion of mine.

Ok, ignore the composition on this one (if you can), it was taken in the garage, and there is only so much space. However, I think I've sort of figured out how to do it now. Ish.

IMG_2090 by apretext, on Flickr

More practice needed, but I think I have at least figured out how to do it now....

Just waiting for a dark night to try it outside!

Last edited:
I really like that shot, would love to be able to replicate this, how hard is it to merge photos in post? what do you have to do just use masks?

That shot is straight out of the camera.

I'm hopefully going to have another go tonight at my parents (away from pesky streetlights), and hopefully get a better composition.

I used a cardboard box wrapped around a flourescent tube, with the box covered in black gaffa tape, so that no light spilled. Then I just wandered up and down the car illuminating what I wanted (and tripping over the lawnmower). One pointer I do have, is the angle of the light does not want to be directly parallel with the camera, I think around about 60 degrees works nicely.

Back