First (real) attempt at stacking

Edit My Images
Yes
I had a go at stacking today, using CombineZM. Not on a live animal unfortunately, but luckily I happened to have a dead scorpion laying around to practice on, and she was most obliging. (Female Scorpio maurus palmatus which was just about at full term but passed away suddenly, incase anyone's interested).

8 images at 1/200, F/5.6, ISO 100, 1/4 power flash. I moved the actual lens - leaving the focussing ring as it was - is this correct?

Either way I am flabergastered at the amount of detail it can bring out! Amazing!

5843776120_0af0c66b5b_b.jpg

Not even 100% crop:

5843776874_509ef94e13_b.jpg

C+C on the stacking process/hints/tips much required please! (not on image composition/subject etc, :LOL:)a

Last edited:
great job mate, just one or two more just behind the head would have finished shot #1 off nicely.Stacking is great if your subjects remain still long enough to get a few shots.
looks a mean beast close up.:)

great job mate, just one or two more just behind the head would have finished shot #1 off nicely.Stacking is great if your subjects remain still long enough to get a few shots.
looks a mean beast close up.:)

I think you're right, could have done with more :) It is cool... I just need subjects that stay as still as this dead one! :LOL:

(Also she was a sweety during life, never agressive towards me).

can you explain what the stacking (or the process behind the stacking) does please, Ash?

truly, the best yet again...

You take several shots, but altering it so that you're focussing along the animal. The program then "stacks" them together using only the in-focus parts of each shot to get one shot which has a huge DOF :)

See here for a normal 1-shot @ F/5.6:

5843264207_1bdb605f16_b.jpg

I think you're right, could have done with more :) It is cool... I just need subjects that stay as still as this dead one! :LOL:

(Also she was a sweety during life, never agressive towards me).

You take several shots, but altering it so that you're focussing along the animal. The program then "stacks" them together using only the in-focus parts of each shot to get one shot which has a huge DOF :)

Ok... so you take lots of shots focusing on different parts of the body - use another piece of software which stacks them using only the in-focus... et voilà. Okeydokey - that's exacty what you said, just needed to repeat it :D

So can you pretty much do this with anything then?

Is CombineZM a free downloadable or ???

wow - who knew :cool:

Thanku - great source of info...

Ok... so you take lots of shots focusing on different parts of the body - use another piece of software which stacks them using only the in-focus... et voilà. Okeydokey - that's exacty what you said, just need to repeat it :D

So can you pretty much do this with anything then?

Is CombineZM a free downloadable or ???

wow - who knew :cool:

Thanku - great source of info...

Indeed! :LOL: Yeh - I don't think my flashes charge quick enough to get stacks of insects alive :help: We'll see I guess...

And yep, downloadable and free, give it a google. All pretty simple really! No worries :)

Cool - will be giving it ago... when I get my tamron... did I say I was getting a tamron? :p ... hahahaha - heh - just a few and some more times a? :cool:

Really, there are some amazing shots around... and this site gives so much info to folk - fabulous stuff.

Thanks Ash :)

<heh heh - I just got my milk bottle cut up - now I need to sort the flashy cover bit at the front>

Last edited:
try taking them at f11 or f13 and get more depth of field to start with

Back