First shot of 2016

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Being the nominated driver on New Years Eve certainly has its benefits.....no after morning hangovers, no memory loss and obscured recollections of things said, and no stealing someone elses jacket by mistake when you make your way home from a gathering at 3 in the morning.....it also means you have the opportunity to take in the first sunrise of the New Year, as I did this morning on a whim.

Happy 2016 all.

Heading Out by Neil Almond, on Flickr

Last edited:
I nearly headed down to Northumberland this morning. Was on the fence between Dunstanburgh or Bamburgh castle. I am a teetotaller and never both with New Year celebrations. Seeing this image I wish I had but I chose to be lazy and write another Glencoe blog.

Being the nominated driver on New Years Eve certainly has its benefits.....no after morning hangovers, no memory loss and obscured recollections of things said, and no stealing someone elses jacket by mistake when you make your way home from a gathering at 3 in the morning..
You're a wise man Neil!

Lovely landscape Neil. I like the colours and simplicity of the subject in the frame. In an ideal world I would have loved to see the boat in the middle of the right hand third of the image, and perhaps a local contrast boost to make the image jump a little more.

Try this free clarity action I made, it may be of use: http://www.mountainsandwaves.com/no...og/photoshop-clarity-action-for-photographers

That boat was stationary - alas couldn't signal it to move!!
I also find these images quite tricky to balance correctly given the extent of the extreme contrast - too much shadow lifting and the image loses its reality!
Appreciate the comment though and a happy new year to you - will take a look at your action.

I nearly headed down to Northumberland this morning. Was on the fence between Dunstanburgh or Bamburgh castle. I am a teetotaller and never both with New Year celebrations. Seeing this image I wish I had but I chose to be lazy and write another Glencoe blog.

Weather has been appalling down here for too long Steve so had to take a chance! Will check out your blog a little later! Keep up the good work mate.

Reactions: ST4
Another really great shot Neil, without a doubt my fav' so far of yours this year.:whistle:

"HAPPY NEW YEAR" to you sir. :beer:(y)

George.

Just how the first morning of the year should be Neil. I was considering heading to the coast this morning on the way back from the lakes, but didn't find enough time. A great way to start the new year buddy!

Well worth being the driver, a lovely scene and a great introduction to your 2016 photography :clap:

Cheers Matty and Gramps. (...I've edited this shot about 5 bloody times!)
Look forward to seeing many great quality shots from you guys this year.

That's really nice, I really like that it has the boat in the background. I wish I could take decent landscape pics but I can't lol. I can never seem to identify a decent location.

I love your shots Neil especially the seascapes. I need to get myself out this year and get a few myself

May I ask what filters your are using, I'm thinking I might get a hard grad not sure what stop would be best? and a 3 stop soft grad, (I've got 1 and 2 stop soft grad)

thanks Jack

That's really nice, I really like that it has the boat in the background. I wish I could take decent landscape pics but I can't lol. I can never seem to identify a decent location.

Cheers Jamie.
I live quite close to the coast and the Norfolk Broads so plenty of the same ol stuff to go out a take pics of.

I love your shots Neil especially the seascapes. I need to get myself out this year and get a few myself

May I ask what filters your are using, I'm thinking I might get a hard grad not sure what stop would be best? and a 3 stop soft grad, (I've got 1 and 2 stop soft grad)

thanks Jack

Thanks Jack. I've been experimenting quite a bit with digital blending, but this particular shot was with a 0.6 hard grad, 0.9 soft grad and a Lee Little Stopper.

My kind of shot this, very well done. Been watching your post for a while now and everything you do is magic. People like yourself give me inspiration to try yes try to be as good. Always on the look out for jettys and such like. Was this local to you in Suffolk?

My kind of shot this, very well done. Been watching your post for a while now and everything you do is magic. People like yourself give me inspiration to try yes try to be as good. Always on the look out for jettys and such like. Was this local to you in Suffolk?

Thanks very much Paul, very kind words indeed. I myself have also been inspired by the many great photographers that grace this forum and other platforms. I still really consider myself a beginner. Been doing this for around 18 months and try to spend as much time as I can learning and reading techniques, understanding exposure, learning pp, and listening to relevant critique. I think it's a question of practice and over time it should come together I suppose.
I actually live in Norfolk, just over the border with Suffolk, about 15 mins from Caister. The Coast around this area is littered with granite and wooden sea defences which are great subjects in my opinion, especially for me as I'm very drawn to water!
Again thanks for the comment Paul and have a great 2016, keep practicing!

Neil, going back up to Norfolk at the end of this month weather permitting, please could you advise me of good locations for seascape shots. Been several times to Happisburgh which I'll love but you seem to know your way round the county. Got a week off but if I can decorate fast to keep the wife happy I'm sure I'm due two or three dates off for good behaviour

Really nice shot. Did you use a FLW filter when taking the image?

Neil, going back up to Norfolk at the end of this month weather permitting, please could you advise me of good locations for seascape shots. Been several times to Happisburgh which I'll love but you seem to know your way round the county. Got a week off but if I can decorate fast to keep the wife happy I'm sure I'm due two or three dates off for good behaviour

Good morning Paul.
There are a few really good stretches of coastline, some with a couple of minutes walk, others a bit longer. I'll post up some detail and map links a little later.

Really nice shot. Did you use a FLW filter when taking the image?

Hi Trevor, thanks for your comment.
No FLW filter used (had to look it up!).
The colours were obtained by using a color checker passport for profile, white balance card and additional grey swatches to warm or cool the shot, plus a final drop of split toning on the highlights to bring the colour pallet together.

Paul,

Assuming you have a sat nav, note the following locations.

Corton, Suffolk - park in the car park opposite the beach in Link's Road. The coast line here is littered with sea objects, especially at low tide.
http://www.bing.com/mapspreview?q=links+road+corton&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4

Corton, Suffolk - park opposite Tibbenhams Score or park at Bakers Score via 'The Street', Corton, for access to the beach area, via steps, for more ruined breakwaters and sea objects. Great at low tide. Not sure if access is possible currently as the council had closed the access gates about a month or so ago - will check and let you know.
http://www.bing.com/mapspreview?q=the+street+corton&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4

Hopton on Sea - Just up the road from Corton, new granite sea defences and some great old wooden ones too. Access is very easy here. Literally park next to the beach.
http://www.bing.com/mapspreview?q=beach+road+hopton&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4

Gorleston On Sea - Just along the coast from Hopton, Gorleston has a great selection of sea defences plus the old jetty/pier. Parking is easy, as per the attached. Park at the free car park on Marine Parade, nr Yallp Avenue.
http://www.bing.com/mapspreview?q=yallop+avenue+gorleston&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4

Great start to the new year Neil, Had similar ambitions, but the rain rattling against the windows sent me back to bed ;)
Must get out though, there are a few groynes around here that were badly damaged over the holidays and want to get out before they get repaired.

Beautiful image !

Thanks Neil, that's fantastic. Just want the right weather that week and I'll bore you some images. Keep up the good work and many thanks

Yep, works for me!

Cheers Stu.

Great start to the new year Neil, Had similar ambitions, but the rain rattling against the windows sent me back to bed ;)
Must get out though, there are a few groynes around here that were badly damaged over the holidays and want to get out before they get repaired.

Cheers Steve.
Know what you mean with the weather - I was going to head out to Waxham Sands this morning but will probably head off there for sunrise tomorrow.

Thanks Neil, that's fantastic. Just want the right weather that week and I'll bore you some images. Keep up the good work and many thanks

Another one is Waxham, just down the coast from Happisburgh / Sea Palling. I'm off there tomorrow for sunrise. Fingers crossed.
Look forward to seeing your images Paul.

Nice image and worth the early start to the year.

Thanks Peter.

Beautiful image !

Thanks Phil.

Back