First shots with the 1.4Tc fitted

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I went to the Imperial war museum at Duxford yesterday, the day was brilliant (y)

As they were getting ready for an airshow a couple of the old war birds were going through their routine, so I stuck the TC on my 70-200 and managed to snap a few frames :)

As our displayed images are limited i've added links, fast moving planes just don't look right in small boxes.

www.autoteknika.co.uk/Me109.jpg

www.autoteknika.co.uk/Me109b.jpg

www.autoteknika.co.uk/Me109l.jpg

Although the lens was reduced to f4, the focus speed was still rapid and even with the camera set on A1 servo it tracked the fast moving planes Ok.

I still have over 2Gb of raw files to trawl through, so....please let me know what you think.

Really nice shots of the 109 there. The only problem I can see is that, particularly on #3, the shutter could have been a bit slower. Not quite enough prop blur :)

Great images, DF (y)

That was with the Sigma 70-200, yes? How much sharpening did you have to apply?

A little bit dark for me, but a quick level tweak should sort that out. They're really good images regardless! Personally, I like the subject matter as well - you don't often see shots of 109s

Thanks for sharing

They've not actually had any detail work done, as Matty can testify......:)

the 3 images I posted all showed a nasty smudge in the corners of the frame, which i dragged the healing brush over in double quick time.
Aside from that, they got a quick crop and a 2px border and resized to fit on a screen.

When I get some free time, i'll go to work on them :D

I love the 109, and iirc thats the only flying 109 in the country......although it is a bit of a cheat as it's the post war spanish built model with the merlin engine in.

edit.....aye, the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and the 1.4x Tc

Re, the darkness, it looks ok on my lappy screen...i must be on the bright side.

exposure on the day was difficult as it was bland skies and strong sunlight. If I could have one more feature on my 20d it'd be spot metering.

If I could have one more feature on my 20d it'd be spot metering.

You mean like you get on the D70? ;)

Seriously, DF, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the other shots you got. And no sharpening? Damn! Best get a 70-200 then, I reckon!

Don't look particularly dark to me! Nice and sharp. Keep trawling :)

I've found 250 holiday pictures I forgot to transfer so I'm trawling through 1650 RAWs now .....in ever smaller batches.

I have the 70-200 f2.8 + 1.4TC from sigma and I wub it to bits! Lovely kit :)

Lovely shots mate love the first :D

Look great to me...perhaps a slight levels tweak (according to my monitor ;) ), but nice shots. Post some more good 'uns when you've found em.
:)

All look very good, even more so if they are straight out the camera - will never tire of Spitfires, but nice all the same to see something a little different (y)

I have a couple of spits to do, 1 is a 2 seater which you can book a flight in.........if your a lottery winner!
and the other is a pukka single seater.

The spit and the 109 both entered the airfield at high speed and low level while turning, it was a brilliant site with the sun on them as they thundered past. I have to admit being awe struck at that site and couldn't even get the camera to my eye :eek:

Very impressed with the pictures!

Something very special about the Spitfire...just listening to it as it fly's past gives me a lump in the throat....

Aye, at one point there were 3 spitfires and the 109 all throttling up, sounded awesome (y)

They look great to me, hopre to see some more soon.

I tried a few with a slower shutter, but tbh, they were going so quick the image was going soft.

I was hand held after all and panning with it :LOL:

I have a few of both the Me and the Spit coming in to land on the grass strip at an almost head on angle, they do have a nice blur.

Over all, I'm pleased with the TC's perfomance.

A small edit for Daveyuk

I found this on the IWM Duxford site

Aircraft Operator
Alpha Jet x 8 French Air Force Patrouille de France
F16 Fighting Falcon Belgian Air Force
Fouga Magister Belgian Air Force
Hawk 208 Sqn RAF
Chinook 18 Sqn RAF
Black Cats Lynx Pair Royal Navy
P51 Mustang Old Flying Machine Company
P51C Mustang The Fighter Collection
P51D Mustang The Fighter Collection
Bearcat The Fighter Collection
T28 Fennec Radial Revelations
B17 Flying Fortress B17 Preservation
Spitfire IX Old Flying Machine Company
Spitfire V The Fighter Collection
Spitfire V Historic Aircraft Collection
Spitfire XIV The Fighter Collection
Spitfire IXT Air Leasing
Spitfire Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
Storch (static) Historic Aircraft Collection
Chipmunk (static) Aircraft Restoration Company

The Me isn't listed there as yet, but the guy on the control tower PA said they were praticing for the coming show.

the listing does have a still to be confirmed section, but it doesn't look like they've updated it.

I would suggest giving them a ring before you make a journey.

Oh, I'd love a model that sounded like that :love:

Something about the Rolls Royce Merlin that makes the hairs on your neck stand up (y)

I've added a spit that I've been playing with,

spit.jpg

1 is a 2 seater which you can book a flight in.........if your a lottery winner!

Actually even if you won the lotto you wouldnt be able to fly in it (legally), they arent licensed to carry passengers ! There was a lot of trouble recently when news of someone getting a passenger ride in one of the 2 seater spits leaked out !

Very nice shots of the 109 DF :) like the mono of the Spit as well, even though its one of the later ones with a Griffin engine in it ;) Try a slightly slower shutter speed though, props need a bit more blur :)

well, I can make some cash here then by selling off the pictures of 4 lucky people who got 30 minute trips in the Grace spitfire at Duxford this week :D

I was hand holding at 280mm, that was as slow as I was going without shaking the camera too much :)

that TC is indeed a cracker

you happy with yours?

I don't think i've seen any long shots with it.

Lovely and sharp - bet you're pleased you invested in that 1.4x!

That one of the spitfire you've been playing with - lovely shot of a lovey plane but it does appear to have the slightest halo round it? :shrug:

aye, it's probably because of the way i desaturated it.

Not bad for 5 mins in cs2 though :)

Back