Critique First steps in macro

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I know its technically not the greatest image ever but for my first afternoon with some extension tubes , my 50mm 1.8d and hand held i am really quite pleased with the results .

Waspie by ChrisMarr, on Flickr

I've spent today looking at techniques and figuring out some ideas for shots and have to say its really quite fun .... Frustrating but fun ! Depth of fields even at f16-f22 is miniscule !

Chris

Not a bad first effort. I really like the composition and the detail looks ok with the dof but the harsh flash has just about burned it out. Was it diffused?

No flash at all - lovely sunny day and higher iso's .

A well, in that case you need to reduce the ISO or up the shutter speed because it is overexposed. I can't see the exif so can't comment your exact settings etc.

A well, in that case you need to reduce the ISO or up the shutter speed because it is overexposed. I can't see the exif so can't comment your exact settings etc.

Yeah :) I need plenty of practise . I won't lie thought i quite liked the bright colours and feel of the image .

F11 Iso 3200 1/1600 !

I was just worrying about a quick shutter speed to be honest

Last edited:
Nah, it's just a little too in yer face. It's a hover fly by the way not a wasp(ie);)

Hi and welcome to the crazy threads of macro.
Not a bad 1st attempt. You would do good to listen to @BRASH or @tintin or Timmy. G on here as they are all good at giving great advice to help you out. Just don't clip wings or feet/legs. Lol

I echo the thoughts of others. All in all, it's a lovely shot. Yeah it's a little hot in places but it can on occasion be hard to control bright highlights when in strong sunlight. Especially with darker areas on insects.

Back