First Steps into Macro

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, posted a thread near the start of the year about a new lens and got put onto purchasing a Raynox DCR-250 macro adapter to try my hand at macro, never tried it before so looking for some critique on my favourite images.

edit8.jpg

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

None have been edited, apart from the first which had a vignette added.

Camera: Canon Eos 450D
Lens: 18-55mm Kit Lens with macro adapter fitted.
Lighting: 3 LED wind up torch, Laptop (opened on googles home page :LOL:)

I found it difficult to work with such a shallow DOF as I couldnt get the areas I wanted in focus, specifically on the guitar.

comments critique welcome.

Cheers
Scott

Hey Scott - sorry, missed these.
I like them. Makes a change to see something other than bugs.
DOF with a Raynox is next to zero, but you've handled it well. Great use of colour and good composition.
I look forward to seeing some more.

Off to a good start there Scott. I think I prefer the last one the most. The kit lens at 55mm will give you about 1/2x lifesize on the 450d. For full 1:1 you need to get to about 100mm, then you will need to stop the lens down to get DOF. The EXIF says you shot these with the lens wide open.

Hey Scott - sorry, missed these.
I like them. Makes a change to see something other than bugs.
DOF with a Raynox is next to zero, but you've handled it well. Great use of colour and good composition.
I look forward to seeing some more.

Off to a good start there Scott. I think I prefer the last one the most. The kit lens at 55mm will give you about 1/2x lifesize on the 450d. For full 1:1 you need to get to about 100mm, then you will need to stop the lens down to get DOF. The EXIF says you shot these with the lens wide open.

Cheers guys, I think someone told me that but was oblivious when purchased :LOL:

If memory serves I think that was to combat the lack of focus and get what I wanted within the frame, I had no idea what I was doing.

So if I was looking to get a macro lens I'd probably need something with 100mm prime or at least in its range?

look at the Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX Macro lens- I use one its a cracking lens- and I like the images by the way (y)

Les ;)

With the Raynox, you can use any telephoto zoom to get the same effect. I use my 55-250 to get between 1/2 size and 2.5x lifesize. The main key thing with a macro lens is that you get 1:1, the focal length gives you a greater working distance, and that means, if you're trying to shoot bugs, you're less likely to scare them away with the 100mm compared to the 60mm.

look at the Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX Macro lens- I use one its a cracking lens- and I like the images by the way (y)

Les ;)

Cheers Les, just had a quick look and the cheapest I could find one was £306.99. Possibly a future purchase :LOL:

With the Raynox, you can use any telephoto zoom to get the same effect. I use my 55-250 to get between 1/2 size and 2.5x lifesize. The main key thing with a macro lens is that you get 1:1, the focal length gives you a greater working distance, and that means, if you're trying to shoot bugs, you're less likely to scare them away with the 100mm compared to the 60mm.

Ah rite, I've a 70-200mm lens so shall give it a shot on that and see if I can get some better results with it. Would some extension tubes be worth a purchase?

I wouldn't worry about tubes for now... it's hard enough to use the Raynox at 2X, let alone making it magnify more. It's about 1x magnification for each 100mm, at min focus distance of the lens (a rough and ready estimate, but it does the job).

The Raynox will fit up to 67mm filter threads. I use a flash handheld with mine all the time. I've made a ring flash converter for it..

http://www.diyphotography.net/readers-projects-the-cd-spindle-ringflash

ah cheers, I was considering getting one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Macro-Light...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309882586&sr=1-2

but didnt know whether it would allow fitting of the raynox

edit:eek:n closer inspection these are jsut continous lights though

I didn't know the 360 pad could look so good (y)

cheers buddy :)

Last edited:
I looked at those ring lights, I'm not convinced the raynox would clip on... Similar sort of issue with the proper ring flashes

Back