Critique First time birding

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
I found out about a hide that could be hired. I always wanted to photograph a Kingfisher so i spent the day in the woods in Durham and was very impressed with the set up.
I had to go high ISO, even with a 2.8 lens. Denoize has done a good job of cleaning them up i think.
Comments more than welcome.
JAY_3589-Edit by jason greenwood, on Flickr
JAY_3530-Edit by jason greenwood, on Flickr
JAY_3416-Edit by jason greenwood, on Flickr
JAY_3408-Edit by jason greenwood, on Flickr
JAY_3394-Edit by jason greenwood, on Flickr
JAY_3257-Edit by jason greenwood, on Flickr
JAY_3207-Edit by jason greenwood, on Flickr

super set

Very nice set..........and range of species.

As above #1 is the stand out one for me :)

Yes. Very nice.

A nice set. Number 1 is up there but the 3rd KF for me, she's looking more or less right at you and posed well. I'd maybe give it just a slight anti-clockwise tilt.

Good to hear you got out. (y)

An excellent start Jason, good detail, don't be afraid of higher ISO's, Topaz and the like are giving us more scope than ever to push higher than we ever did before.

Crit wise, try and give your subjects a bit more negative space to 'go in to'. The sparowhawk take off and the 3rd KF are both good shots but would be even better with the bird a bit further to the left in both instances. The Robin could do with more space all round.

The 3rd KF is the strongest mainly due to the head positioning - usual response to that critique is a sarky 'it wouldn't' listen when I asked' but it makes a world difference when you get the right head angle

Presentation wise they're all very good, some interesting behaviours, keep it up

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Pooley. I can give the launching Sparrowhawk more space as it’s a crop.
The robin unfortunately is tight and cropped on the right, missing the tip of the tail, so I can only give it more space top, bottom and left. I went for a square crop just to balance it out.

I appreciate the feedback. Always learning.

Back