First time football match - Thornaby v Synners

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
This was my first football match with my camera. I felt I was really struggling with the light and my F/4 lens.

I was also really refusing to use ISO1600 as on the screen it looked really really bad but 1250 didn't come out too bad. The light was bloody awful aswell so I did what I could. Was a fantastic learning experience and am hoping to either go to a daytime game or a night match with some good lighting.

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.JPG

017.JPG

015.jpg

Even got myself an assist in this game. I passed the ball to the guy taking a corner and he scored from it ;)

This is something that I really want to get into. This and/or motorsport so i'd like some pointers please. Harsh or otherwise ;)

Thanks.

Think you should of used the highest ISO possible, the shots might have been a bit sharper.

At non-league grounds ISO 3200 and 1/250 or 1/320 are the norm with a f2.8 lens.

You've done well to get anything at all with ISO 1250 and F4. Would be interesting to see what kind of shutter speeds you were getting.

Generally noise is preferable to blurred or underexposed. At f2.8 and 1/250 you will get blurred extremities (foot kicking ball etc.). The typical size that the images are going to be displayed at on the web means you can use ISO 3200 and not worry too much about noise. If you are going to produce posters then you wont want to use ISO 3200 but for the web at 800x533 pixels go for it.

At non-league grounds ISO 3200 and 1/250 or 1/320 are the norm with a f2.8 lens.

You've done well to get anything at all with ISO 1250 and F4. Would be interesting to see what kind of shutter speeds you were getting.

Generally noise is preferable to blurred or underexposed. At f2.8 and 1/250 you will get blurred extremities (foot kicking ball etc.). The typical size that the images are going to be displayed at on the web means you can use ISO 3200 and not worry too much about noise. If you are going to produce posters then you wont want to use ISO 3200 but for the web at 800x533 pixels go for it.

Yeah i'm going to go for 3200 next time. I realise that the quality of newspapers aren't the greatest so you wouldn't even notice the noise if I were to send them in for the local rags to use :)

I realise these pictures suck balls but that's all part of the learning curve :)

Back