Critique First Time Gig Photography - What could I have done better ? (lots of pics)

Edit My Images
Yes
First Time Gig Photography - What could I have done better ?

Shot indoors, without flash, from the mosh pit

Canon 40d
Canon 50mm 1.8
Full M
1/200
iso 1600
+2 EV

Editing after in Lightroom & PS5

Images are a bit noisy and DOF is small with shooting at 1.8 but Overall I'm pretty happy for a first attempt, but would like to know what could I have done better ?
(Please note, I appreciate some could do with being shot from a better angle but I was in the pit, couldn't have moved if I wanted to ;-D )

Last edited:
Why were you shooting at 1/200 ? You could have come down on shutter speed and gone up on aperture to get a bigger depth of field.

I set my shutter speed at 1/100 and F2-2.8.
You've caught a few gooduns.

Why were you shooting at 1/200 ? You could have come down on shutter speed and gone up on aperture to get a bigger depth of field.

To freeze motion, they never stop moving.

Even the drummer doesn't stay in one place, he picks up his drums and throws them into the crowd for them to hold while he drums !

Increase your iso maybe 3200/6400 to give yourself better DOF and keep your shutter speed up :)

1600 iso is as high as my 40d lets me go...

I believe it can be expanded to 3200 but I don't know how to do that.

I set my shutter speed at 1/100 and F2-2.8.
You've caught a few gooduns.
d

Thank You, I tried a few slower speeds, even at 1/160 I was getting motion blur, so doubt I would have caught anything at 1/100 :(

Ok, to open the ISO to 3200, press the menu button, scroll using the top wheel until you get to the C Fn page. Then the topmost choice is what you want C Fn I:Exposure. Press "Set" Use the bottom wheel to go to No. 3 ISO expansion, press "set" again, and highlight "1" on and press set.

E2A: Don't forget to turn noise reduction on.

Last edited:
Ok, to open the ISO to 3200, press the menu button, scroll using the top wheel until you get to the C Fn page. Then the topmost choice is what you want C Fn I:Exposure. Press "Set" Use the bottom wheel to go to No. 3 ISO expansion, press "set" again, and highlight "1" on and press set.

E2A: Don't forget to turn noise reduction on.

Thanks for that :)

I've done both and that will definitely come in handy for future events :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Some cool looking shots in there,

When you shoot a gig its common to come away with a lot of similar shots (only so many people doing only so many things) don't be afraid to pick your favourites and ditch the rest where you have a number of similar ones.

Noise is part of the bargain with live music, if the shot looks good at a normal kind of size don't worry too much about it.

Have a go with aperture slightly smaller, maybe 2 - 2.8 you'll probably find you get things a bit sharper.

It looks like a dark venue i'd bang the iso right up as suggested and see what the results are like.

A common trick with live music photography is to under expose in camera and then boost in post to get a higher shutter speed for sharper photos.

Have you tried processing these as B/W? Given the heavy metal appearance of these guys I think B/W heavy contrast would help.

Without a doubt the best of the crop is '238' or the second attached file in the first post. You've caught the energy and essence of live metal and part of the reason why this stands out for me is because of the framing - I get a feel for the guys body language more from that shot although '132' (same post) is another with a good amount of energy as is '42' in the third post. But you are right to be happy because for a first attempt at a metal show you've done a fine job.

As has been mentioned before getting the ISO up to 3200 is a must. Yes, the 40D is a bit noisy up there but it's a lot better to have noise than a shot that is not sharp. Once you do that you might be able to stop the lens down a bit, although in venues that dark I would generally be shooting at F2 anyway.
Shutter speed, you could probably drop down to 1/160th and still be OK with movement. With practise you can get pin sharp shots lower than that by knowing that you will have to pick your shots carefully and watching how the band move on stage. However where I can get more shutter speed at a metal show I take it over other considerations, being in the 1/160th-1/320th is a good comfort buffer.

Focus is something else you could address to improve the quality. What auto focus mode and point were you using for these shots, and how were you focusing? It's important to try and use the artists face for focus although I know this is no easy task when they keep jumping about... all about picking your moment again.

A lot of these shots look to be from the same spot in the venue. For a bit of variety I'd recommend you try and spend a bit of time each side of the stage and as well as getting the closeup shots of individual performers also get some showing the stage set and lights. You will need to stay in manual for this and accept that the lights will blow out completely, but it gives a sense of scale and a different vibe from live shots.

Without a doubt the best of the crop is '238' or the second attached file in the first post. You've caught the energy and essence of live metal and part of the reason why this stands out for me is because of the framing - I get a feel for the guys body language more from that shot although '132' (same post) is another with a good amount of energy as is '42' in the third post. But you are right to be happy because for a first attempt at a metal show you've done a fine job.

Thank you for that :)

As has been mentioned before getting the ISO up to 3200 is a must. Yes, the 40D is a bit noisy up there but it's a lot better to have noise than a shot that is not sharp. Once you do that you might be able to stop the lens down a bit, although in venues that dark I would generally be shooting at F2 anyway.
Shutter speed, you could probably drop down to 1/160th and still be OK with movement. With practise you can get pin sharp shots lower than that by knowing that you will have to pick your shots carefully and watching how the band move on stage. However where I can get more shutter speed at a metal show I take it over other considerations, being in the 1/160th-1/320th is a good comfort buffer.

Focus is something else you could address to improve the quality. What auto focus mode and point were you using for these shots, and how were you focusing? It's important to try and use the artists face for focus although I know this is no easy task when they keep jumping about... all about picking your moment again.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean?
I was in manual mode, I was focusing on the artists face using the central focus point

A lot of these shots look to be from the same spot in the venue. For a bit of variety I'd recommend you try and spend a bit of time each side of the stage and as well as getting the closeup shots of individual performers also get some showing the stage set and lights. You will need to stay in manual for this and accept that the lights will blow out completely, but it gives a sense of scale and a different vibe from live shots.

I shot in manual throughout , apart from the odd shot in tv mode

I was in the mosh pit , at the barrier , surrounded by Industrial dancing, as much as I would have loved shots from every angle, I wasn't going anywhere :) x

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Back