First time photographing swimming

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
im not an expert in this field but these i think are great, number 3 for me is the top one , its a belter !!:clap::clap:

Agreed, what a super set :)

Great set. It's something I've wanted to do but obviously most places won't allow cameras anywhere near a pool. Seems like it would be difficult for all but the best of autofocus systems. Also must be tough to catch a flattering moment, I can only imagine the faces I pull as I'm flailing through the water...

Great set. It's something I've wanted to do but obviously most places won't allow cameras anywhere near a pool. Seems like it would be difficult for all but the best of autofocus systems. Also must be tough to catch a flattering moment, I can only imagine the faces I pull as I'm flailing through the water...
It has taken a while to find a club willing to have a photographer. The parents seemed delighted as they have very few good images of their kids doing something that needs dedication from the family not just the kids. It is difficult to get the perfect image as the officials judge every lane and are at each end and there are others walking down teh sides. That and hundreds of kids moving around. If you get the chance make sure you leave time for your cameras to de fog and expect you and whatever you are shooting with to get wet. Also it is very physical kneeling down for most of teh day when you aren't walking up and down with teh swimmers. By far the hardest couple of days photography I have done in terms of the physical aspect.

My camera, Sony A1 with new 70-200 F2.8 GM, has great AF and I only used one camera and body for the full weekend. I never quite appreciated how little time the face spends out the water but I produced 4000 images over a day and a half of shooting I deemed worthy of selling and that was culling thousands that were sharp but were too close to the image before or after.

You are spot on about the faces being pulled. Not exactly seeing a kid at their best but they really do compete hard an you can see how tired they are at the end.

Such a great sport and I hope to shoot it more often now I have my foot in the door.

Great set! colours pop out and the faces scream determination...
1, 3 and 4 are cream of the crop for me, and 4 shows something different....

It has taken a while to find a club willing to have a photographer.

Its all wierd in your country haha.. down here its hard to find a swimming club that hasnt already got a photogrpaher :)

Back