First time poster!

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Well I've been visiting Talk Photography for some time now, admiring some of the stunning work that gets posted here. Thought it was about time I posted my first photo on here :D

I'm still a complete novice when it comes to dSLR photography but getting braver all the time. Took this when we were on holiday in Porthleven, Cornwall in July last year. Fancied a crack at a nighttime long exposure so we went for a walk down to the harbour wall and I set up with my Gorillapod and remote. After around 20-30 ham fisted attempts I managed to grab one shot that I was happy with:

7463042906_947cac6b5a.jpg

Well....I was happy with it anyway :LOL: Taken with the stock 18-55mm lens which is all I have until I decide on what I want in a second lens.

Last edited:
Shooting into the sun is not easy, really tricky actually. Its not the most interesting of images, and I am sure you have better to post later as Cornwall is great.

Welcome to the forum, get posting.

It was a night shot - that's the moon :D

Yeah I think I was more happy with it due to the fact that I managed it in Manual mode which is a scary place for me! :LOL:

I found the hardest part trying to manual focus when it's virtually pitch black - if you've any tips on that it would be much appreciated!

I would say that's the moon Steve :D.

I think the problem you have there John is trying to do a long exposure with a fullish moon, I'm certainly no expert but in my experience taking pictures of the moon, especially near to full, needs a lot quicker shutter speed than you might think. The moon is, although the sky is dark, a very bright subject.

It's a good base to work from though.

Back