First time shooting track cycling!

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

My usual area is outdoors shooting mountain bikes, so it was a change of scene when I was asked to cover an indoor track cycling event! Definitely a challenge but I had a good time. My 1d Mark 2N doesn't have the greatest ISO capabilities so full size these aren't very clean. Most shot with the 70-200 f2.8, and a couple with the 50mm f1.4. Here are my personal favourites from the night. Critique is welcomed/encouraged.

I should also add that personally I don't like the look of shots taken using a flash at events like this. I prefer the authentic look of natural light.

1/
001_20131130_revolution_rd2__P7N0364_zpse57e2f2f.jpg

2/
006_20131130_revolution_rd2__P7N0125-2_zps0f65f808.jpg

3/
003_20131130_revolution_rd2__P7N0455_zpse60b4553.jpg

4/
005_20131130_revolution_rd2__P7N0080-2-Edit_zps3d014dc5.jpg

5/
004_20131130_revolution_rd2__P7N0664_zps491f134a.jpg

6/
002_20131130_revolution_rd2__P7N0367_zps0bd03026.jpg

Cheers!
Dan

V V Nice set. WB, viewpoint, clarity, composition all good - I look at a lot of cycling images. Perhaps some extra pp to make them 'pop' would add more. Not totally sold on the last one - unsure focus point works..................

V V Nice set. WB, viewpoint, clarity, composition all good - I look at a lot of cycling images. Perhaps some extra pp to make them 'pop' would add more. Not totally sold on the last one - unsure focus point works..................

To be honest the last one was unintentional. I was trying to get the guy on the right but the focus jumped as I started shooting. Thanks for the comments

I like the first Dan and I think that with some minor cropping some of the others would be also to my liking. An example would be to crop out the cyclist in the background of no8... It just draws my eye. I also like 4 and 5 as they are too.
Post some more next time you are out

Excellent set, always a challenge to try something in a new setting, hope you are happy with them

A very nice set and I would be very pleased with these, the standout ones for me are the 4th and 5th shots, excellent work.

A nice set of shots. 1, 4, 9 are good. Particularly like 4. Interesting comment about authentic look. Personally I think authentic looks are over rated, given your eye fills in so much of the detail that the camera misses! One thing these pics show, is how well a 1D 2N holds up given its age. Well done.

Now, the last one I love, I just like the way you are drawn between the other riders and I get in the mind of the rider in focus and see the photo as if I was him, clear as mud hey!!! :)

I'm thinking he wants to get past the others and I'm looking through his eyes.

for me WB looks a little bit greige (grey+beige)....and as a result makes the shots look a little bland…

#1 - i would have got lower, you would have got more of the banked track in as well as the crowd, shot looks very static, i think because of the position of the front riders legs…

#2 - unfortunate to have the chap walking across the shot, I would have locked focus on to where the riders are and then waited for the next loop and then got them right in the bottom of the frame to reduce the noise in the bottom of the photo - also find a position half way down the track to make the track as horizontal as possible…then crop out any half riders from the shot…i did a similar thing at the olympic trials for the paralympians in their wheelchairs - made for a great shot (IMHO)

#3 - not close enough, zoom in - get the riders pushing for the finish - there's no motion blur in the wheels, so aim for something else that will give the illusion of speed / effort - we all love gritted teeth !

#4 - best of the set for me - bang up the clarity and vibrance for a top shot

#5 - lie down for a shot like this - get lower than the riders head and look up…to get a great perspective

#6 - one for the bin - no motion and can't really see the emotion…timing well off - are they about to cross the line or have they just started…

#7 - get the winning rider bottom right in the shot, and take in the crowd…loose the other rider in the crop

#8 - timing off again in this - riders on the line better than over the line, or if it's not the final lap, avoid the finish line..?

#9 - nice shot, although Mr FRANCE's a*se spoils it…reflective goggles make for great shots, get in close for these, may be possible to get handlebars, other riders and track markings…boost the vibrance on this to really bring out the colour...

hope that gives you something to think about - look forward to seeing your next set...

JB

for me WB looks a little bit greige (grey+beige)....and as a result makes the shots look a little bland…

#1 - i would have got lower, you would have got more of the banked track in as well as the crowd, shot looks very static, i think because of the position of the front riders legs…

#2 - unfortunate to have the chap walking across the shot, I would have locked focus on to where the riders are and then waited for the next loop and then got them right in the bottom of the frame to reduce the noise in the bottom of the photo - also find a position half way down the track to make the track as horizontal as possible…then crop out any half riders from the shot…i did a similar thing at the olympic trials for the paralympians in their wheelchairs - made for a great shot (IMHO)

#3 - not close enough, zoom in - get the riders pushing for the finish - there's no motion blur in the wheels, so aim for something else that will give the illusion of speed / effort - we all love gritted teeth !

#4 - best of the set for me - bang up the clarity and vibrance for a top shot

#5 - lie down for a shot like this - get lower than the riders head and look up…to get a great perspective

#6 - one for the bin - no motion and can't really see the emotion…timing well off - are they about to cross the line or have they just started…

#7 - get the winning rider bottom right in the shot, and take in the crowd…loose the other rider in the crop

#8 - timing off again in this - riders on the line better than over the line, or if it's not the final lap, avoid the finish line..?

#9 - nice shot, although Mr FRANCE's a*se spoils it…reflective goggles make for great shots, get in close for these, may be possible to get handlebars, other riders and track markings…boost the vibrance on this to really bring out the colour...

hope that gives you something to think about - look forward to seeing your next set...

JB

Thanks for the great feedback. Loads of useful critique in there, I'll take it on board.

Dan

Back