First timer posting ...

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
Hope this works. This is my first time posting an image on a forum thread, so please be kind ...

Octoberrosebud3_zps9def3768.jpg

Really like the colours I'm not really a flower person so may not be the right person to comment but think that the composition isn't quite right
The flower should lower down in the shot with a bit more space at the top:)

You see I'm not sure that the flower has the main part here, for me its the spider! It's such a simple contrast between the beautiful flower and the creepy crawly that its captivating! Great work!

Thanks for your comments. I really enjoy doing macro and close up work and this shot was taken in my own garden ... In fact I was doing some weeding when I noticed the spider and had to rush in for my gear. Thankfully it was still there when I got back! I'll dig out another and post again. Something different next time ....

you need a dedicated Macro lens- the spider is lost in the image to be brutally honest

a 105mm macro lens will give you a 1:1 Life size resolution so idea for what you are trying to achieve

like this taken with a Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro lens

DSC05316 hover fly
by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

Les ;)

Thanks Les. I appreciate your comments but the spider was not intended to be the star of the show here. I used a Canon EF 100mm/f2.8 macro for the shot but stood off a little because I wanted both flowers in the frame with the spider as an incidental element. Love the bug shot you've posted here. I'll dig out some of my own insect shots and post one where I'm a lot closer in to the creature .... Who needs all those boring, girly flowers anyway..... :)

Who needs all those boring, girly flowers anyway..... :)

Well, me, actually. :D I photograph at least as many flowers, buds, berries etc as invertebrates. I don't bother posting them much because (on the other sites where I have previously posted) they rarely got much of a response, or no response at all. It was similar with "environmental" shots showing invertebrates in their natural context, which your image might be seen as, rather than close in shots concentrating entirely on the subject, or (even more popular it seems) a part of it. It looks like it may be different here and I've already posted a couple of more "environmental" shots of invertebrates, and your shot encourages me to try some flower shots too. Thanks for that.

So, I think it's good to see flower pictures, and well done with your first post. I saw it as a flower picture, with the spider as added interest.

The image has a light, airy feel to it, and that is fine. You might want to try playing with the balance of light in the image to see if any of the changes you get are appealing. For example I tried turning down the lightness of the background and the lightness of the highlights in the subject, cropped a narrow slice off of the right hand edge and sharpened a little.

NOT MY IMAGE - Quicksnapper - Octoberrosebud3_zps9def3768-Edit PS1 SS36x0.3
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

I'm not suggesting that this is better, just illustrating one example of a different look amongst the infinite variations that are possible. You might well feel what I have done has made it worse rather than better, but that isn't my point here. There are many possibilities, and I find that my flower images often respond well to some careful adjustment of the balance of light in the image. Exactly what appeals to the eye is a matter of personal preference of course. :)

Thanks Nick. I do like what you've done to the image. It looks tidier somehow and the light is definitely better. My off-the-cuff comment about flowers was meant to be ironic not disparaging and I hope you didn't take it as such. I love doing flowers as well. I'll see if I can post another flower and bug shot for comparison.

This image is an interesting exercise in proportion and scale as much as anything, as the rosebud is one of those tiny patio varieties: the bud was smaller than my thumb nail, which makes the spider look disproportionately bigger in comparison. I am trying very hard to improve my pp skills and its interesting to see what someone else has done to one of my images. Interestingly, I see you use Flickr. This image was imported via Photobucket and I've read comments on here about the quality difference, which I'm beginning to agree with. I think I'll start to use my Flickr account from now on to import and see if that makes a difference. There's one of my deer shots on another thread on here (about locations for photographing the beasts) and that looks flat and dull too, compared to my version of it.

Thanks again .... Flickr here I come. Let's start a "Flower Power" movement ......(y)

Thanks Nick. I do like what you've done to the image.

That's good, and a bit of a relief. Thanks. Some people don't really like having their images mucked about with.

My off-the-cuff comment about flowers was meant to be ironic not disparaging and I hope you didn't take it as such.

You jest! Of course not. :D

I love doing flowers as well. I'll see if I can post another flower and bug shot for comparison.

Excellent. I should put my money where my mouth is and post some more too. :)

This image is an interesting exercise in proportion and scale as much as anything, as the rosebud is one of those tiny patio varieties: the bud was smaller than my thumb nail, which makes the spider look disproportionately bigger in comparison. I am trying very hard to improve my pp skills and its interesting to see what someone else has done to one of my images.

Perhaps that's something we can pursue as we post more images here, or perhaps in the post processing forum.

Interestingly, I see you use Flickr. This image was imported via Photobucket and I've read comments on here about the quality difference, which I'm beginning to agree with.

I've been reading about that too. I've never used Photobucket so I've no direct experience. I have found recently though that looking at shots from Flickr is best done (on my PC at least) using Chrome or Internet Explorer (and possibly other browsers), but not (at least version 26 of) Firefox. I upload my images to Flickr 1100 pixels high, and they are processed for best viewing unresized at that size (if the viewer has a large enough screen). You can choose to see the as-uploaded image (known as the "Original" by Flickr), but it turns out that when you look at these "Original" versions in Firefox 26 they get upsized from 1100 to about 1200 pixels high, and very visibly lose sharpness.

I think I'll start to use my Flickr account from now on to import and see if that makes a difference. There's one of my deer shots on another thread on here (about locations for photographing the beasts) and that looks flat and dull too, compared to my version of it.

It would be interesting to know how your deer image looks in a comparison between Photobucket and Flickr.

Thanks again .... Flickr here I come. Let's start a "Flower Power" movement ......(y)

Yes please. :)

Gosh, Nick ... that's very full response to my earlier post. Thank you. I've just posted another "bug on flower" shot from Flickr this time and it does look better I have to admit. Quite an old shot, but i quite like it. Flower power rules .... !!

Thanks Les. I appreciate your comments but the spider was not intended to be the star of the show here. I used a Canon EF 100mm/f2.8 macro for the shot but stood off a little because I wanted both flowers in the frame with the spider as an incidental element. Love the bug shot you've posted here. I'll dig out some of my own insect shots and post one where I'm a lot closer in to the creature .... Who needs all those boring, girly flowers anyway..... :)

lets start a Flower Power thread, I'm game :p I see now what you were aiming for-I just wrongly assumed it was a Bug shot, apologies for that fella

Les ;)

Back