Fishermen! Don't you just love em.

Just to round it off, are any of these fishermen policemen and wedding photographers in their spare time. I think we'd hit the fuit machine jackpot then... :D

Also, taking fish is not the done thing. I don't know the specific legalities but there is a massive programme of education undertaken by the EA and various angling bodies and clubs to dissuade the taking of fish to be eaten.

I've read some moronic comments on TP over the years and some of what's been spouted in this thread are classics.

Sorry, but I could not resist highlighting both pieces of text, because you are totally wrong in your assumption that "it is not the done thing" to take coarse fish for the pot.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/jan/17/freshwater-fish-fight

I have done this many times in the past, with pike, perch, chub and of course trout. There is nothing illegal about it, and I would suggest that the majority of people in the UK would see taking fish for the pot, more acceptable than simply "playing with the fish", keeping it in a keepnet for hours, or spending many minutes with the fish on the bank trying to work out the best photograph to take.
Go into any decent fishmonger nowadays (including Selfridges and Harrods) and you will see an assortment of coarse fish for sale - pike, perch, chub, carp, bream, eels.

Sorry, but I could not resist highlighting both pieces of text, because you are totally wrong in your assumption that "it is not the done thing" to take coarse fish for the pot.
What a few sandal wearing Guardianistas get up to doesn't make something 'the done thing'! :D

I don't object to the taking of an occasional coarse fish for the table, but it's worth pointing out that the majority of coarse fisheries which require a season or day ticket to fish prohibit the taking of any fish. Fisheries where the only legal requirement is a rod licence are where you will be most likely to be able to take coarse fish without recrimination.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/jan/17/freshwater-fish-fight

I have done this many times in the past, with pike, perch, chub and of course trout. There is nothing illegal about it, and I would suggest that the majority of people in the UK would see taking fish for the pot, more acceptable than simply "playing with the fish", keeping it in a keepnet for hours, or spending many minutes with the fish on the bank trying to work out the best photograph to take.
Go into any decent fishmonger nowadays (including Selfridges and Harrods) and you will see an assortment of coarse fish for sale - pike, perch, chub, carp, bream, eels.

There is nothing wrong with taking course fish where permitted that is true, but you are still quite wrong, I'm confident is saying that what Pat was referring to was the taking of fish from private fisheries...the vast majority of fisheries buy at great expense their fish and as a fisherman/woman you pay for catching not keeping the fish I'm confident you'd be shocked at the prices of some of the course fish

There is nothing wrong with taking course fish where permitted that is true, but you are still quite wrong, I'm confident is saying that what Pat was referring to was the taking of fish from private fisheries...the vast majority of fisheries buy at great expense their fish and as a fisherman/woman you pay for catching not keeping the fish I'm confident you'd be shocked at the prices of some of the course fish

Sorry, but you are the one who is wrong, because no mention was made of "private fisheries";)
I do not belong to a club, but I am aware that the places I fish in the South East are full of natural fish - not ones brought in or farmed. If you go to the River Stour in Canterbury city centre on a Summer's day, you can watch "Jack pike" (up to a couple of pounds) in a line across the river, waiting for their midday lunch of roach or chub.
I am not talking about poaching large carp, I am talking about taking one average fish per session for the pot.

Sorry, but you are the one who is wrong, because no mention was made of "private fisheries";)
I do not belong to a club, but I am aware that the places I fish in the South East are full of natural fish - not ones brought in or farmed. If you go to the River Stour in Canterbury city centre on a Summer's day, you can watch "Jack pike" (up to a couple of pounds) in a line across the river, waiting for their midday lunch of roach or chub.
I am not talking about poaching large carp, I am talking about taking one average fish per session for the pot.

And you know that you would have the right to fish there and take the fish, as unless you have permission to take the fish even from most rivers then your going to find yourself in hot water

When has a newspaper been the bastion of truth? I'd take whatever is suggested be a newspaper with a big punch of salt.

Maybe the majority of people would prefer to think that killing a fish us better than fishing for sport, but the majority of people also think that otters are a good idea.....

Those fish you see at the fishmongers ate bred for eating - they aren't just netted out of rivers an lakes for eating. BTW, eels are a protected species in this country so shouldn't be taken for sake of their numbers.

And it is frowned upon to take fish. It may not be wholely illegal but the EA and Angling Trust are working hard to prevent fish stocks being wiped out by anglers who use set lined (etc) to harvest great numbers if fish stocks.

Freshwater fish are more at threat from alien predators (both human and feathered) than ever before. The damage sport anglers do is minuscule compared to poachers, polluters and illegals

When has a newspaper been the bastion of truth? I'd take whatever is suggested be a newspaper with a big punch of salt.

If you read the Daily Mail then that is a good approach. However, the Guardian has not got much to gain from 'falsely' reporting on fishing...

Also, taking fish is not the done thing. I don't know the specific legalities but there is a massive programme of education undertaken by the EA and various angling bodies and clubs to dissuade the taking of fish to be eaten.

I've read some moronic comments on TP over the years and some of what's been spouted in this thread are classics.

It is in Ireland at least! Most Irish fishermen would see it pointless to go with all that gear 'fishing' not to take anything home.

And your post is a bit "moronic" [your own word] tbh, because you're ranting at others for giving opinion - whether you like it or not, it's theirs to have. They're not targeting it at specific individuals, none of us, including you, know these 'fishermen' or whether it was on purpose, or if they may well be the most ignorant anglers on the planet ... it's all assumption. Don't be all Judge Judy! ... :p

Last edited:
They probably started a thread on an anglers forum... Photogrpahers! Don't you just love em... there we where setting up and...

You could be right! And somewhere there's an agitated Nature walker/lover who came upon the scene and posted to her usual Nature forum about how photographers and fishermen only care about themselves, with no regard for the natural habitat of wild animals.

That should read 'most Irish game fishermen'. ;)

Indeed. I know enough Irish coarse anglers who would baulk at the thought of killing their catch. And plenty of game anglers too, who know the importance of salmon afishing to the tourist economy

I've fished for many, many years. 99% of the fishermen I know and knew were 'game' fishermen. As in, just fishermen. Maybe it's an area thing, and I did say "in Ireland" - not Irish men who fish in the UK. But down south east Eire, very rarely would you meet a coarse angler on the banks of the Barrow or the Nore. And again now I live along the Boyne.

It's not a competition :D it's just fact, most Irish fishermen [in Ireland] are of the game type.

Last edited:
i was fishing in belturbet in southern ireland a few years ago and came across a local fella who was eating perch stuffed with pike so it does happen over there, and im pretty sure it used to be on your old water board rod license that you were allowed to take 2 fish

there are ways and means of fishing canals, you need to keep your gear neat and out the way and if there are lots of walkers and cyclists then you have to be carefull shipping back and think about shipping to the side, saying that i sometimes plonk my holdall right in the path so that they slow down as they see there is something in the way, im pretty sure some pole/cyclist accidents are caused by the cyclist not seeing the pole till they hit it

i can see it from both sides as an angler and a cyclist...anyway isnt this a photography forum :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

It is in Ireland at least! Most Irish fishermen would see it pointless to go with all that gear 'fishing' not to take anything home.

And your post is a bit "moronic" [your own word] tbh, because you're ranting at others for giving opinion - whether you like it or not, it's theirs to have. They're not targeting it at specific individuals, none of us, including you, know these 'fishermen' or whether it was on purpose, or if they may well be the most ignorant anglers on the planet ... it's all assumption. Don't be all Judge Judy! ... :p

:clap:
Well said, I think that there is more than just a little hypocrisy on here regarding "fishing" - forget the term "angling".
Mind you, I think that some of the so called "anglers" on here would do well to read a book by Isaac Walton - "The Compleat Angler", they may learn something.

Oh yes, to you "anglers" I may do a spot of fishing tomorrow - in a river - in the South East of England - WITHOUT a rod licence - and it will be 100% legal. I shall be fishing for bass, possibly trout, pike, perch or whatever comes along and takes the spinner/spoon/lure.
If I catch something less than you would find on a supermarket slab (actually a lot less, they are catching and selling fish under the limits IMO), then it will be returned immediately. If it is over 1 kilo then I will take it home and cook it for tea, for the missus, because she likes fish.
If you have a problem with that then do not hesitate to PM me or post a reply on here for all to see.

i was fishing in belturbet in southern ireland a few years ago and came across a local fella who was eating perch stuffed with pike so it does happen over there, and im pretty sure it used to be on your old water board rod license that you were allowed to take 2 fish

there are ways and means of fishing canals, you need to keep your gear neat and out the way and if there are lots of walkers and cyclists then you have to be carefull shipping back and think about shipping to the side, saying that i sometimes plonk my holdall right in the path so that they slow down as they see there is something in the way, im pretty sure some pole/cyclist accidents are caused by the cyclist not seeing the pole till they hit it

i can see it from both sides as an angler and a cyclist...anyway isnt this a photography forum :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Great stuff.
You can take the fillets of perch, and then make a kind of smooth pate with the pike flesh. You take the two perch fillets, put the pike flesh in the middle and pan fry them in butter - this is the stuff of Michelin starred restaurants.
I had perch fillets in Lake Garda and "filets de sandre" in a white wine sauce in Burgundy - both were superb.

And you know that you would have the right to fish there and take the fish, as unless you have permission to take the fish even from most rivers then your going to find yourself in hot water

You do not need "permission" because there is nothing to say that you cannot take fish to eat.
I was a member of two angling clubs ten years ago, and they stipulated that you HAD to take all trout caught (limit of six per day), but there were no rules regarding "coarse" fish. I asked, and the immediate reply was - "feel free to take a couple of perch or pike if they take the lure.

Would you care to post a link/impart some knowledge how I am going to find myslelf in "hot water" regarding taking a pike/perch or zander for eating from a free river?

Andy700 - if you do that and follow the guidance of a book that is a historical artifact and not a book in keeping with modern practices, then feel free but. But don't try to bend the rules to meet your needs.

I love angling, I relying on angling for my profession, so don't take its importance so lightly.

In an age with so predators, fish need their heroes to protect yjem.

Last edited:
:clap:
Well said, I think that there is more than just a little hypocrisy on here regarding "fishing" - forget the term "angling".
Mind you, I think that some of the so called "anglers" on here would do well to read a book by Isaac Walton - "The Compleat Angler", they may learn something.

Oh yes, to you "anglers" I may do a spot of fishing tomorrow - in a river - in the South East of England - WITHOUT a rod licence - and it will be 100% legal. I shall be fishing for bass, possibly trout, pike, perch or whatever comes along and takes the spinner/spoon/lure.
If I catch something less than you would find on a supermarket slab (actually a lot less, they are catching and selling fish under the limits IMO), then it will be returned immediately. If it is over 1 kilo then I will take it home and cook it for tea, for the missus, because she likes fish.
If you have a problem with that then do not hesitate to PM me or post a reply on here for all to see.

I'd rather read to books my grandad wrote on angling thanks :D and if your fishing without the appropriate licence then I do hope your accept any consequences ;) though I'm going to assume that you must be fishing in salt water as from memory that would be the only place you wouldn't require a rod licence

You do not need "permission" because there is nothing to say that you cannot take fish to eat.
I was a member of two angling clubs ten years ago, and they stipulated that you HAD to take all trout caught (limit of six per day), but there were no rules regarding "coarse" fish. I asked, and the immediate reply was - "feel free to take a couple of perch or pike if they take the lure.

Would you care to post a link/impart some knowledge how I am going to find myslelf in "hot water" regarding taking a pike/perch or zander for eating from a free river?

I know for a fact that the vast majority of rivers in the UK the right to fish them is privately controlled and that any fishing on them without permission could be considered poaching

Maybe you'd like to familiarise yourself with this link http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/464

It is illegal to take eels.

You cannot take more than 15 fish that measure 20cm from snout to tail.

You csnnot remove fish from private fisheries without the consent PF the landowner.

Only a t.*** would damage fish stocks to prove a point and disadvantage future generations;)

Last edited:
It is illegal to take eels.

You cannot take more than 15 fish that measure 20cm from snout to tail.

You csnnot remove fish from private fisheries without the consent PF the landowner.

Only a t.*** would damage fish stocks to prove a point and disadvantage future generations;)

I do not fish illegally.

I do not fish for eels because neither my missus or I can stand the taste of them.

I do not fish in private fisheries.

As there is only the missus and I, there is no chance of us breaching the 15 fish rule;)

Please get down off your high horse - are you a Daily Fail reader by any chance:LOL:

I know for a fact that the vast majority of rivers in the UK the right to fish them is privately controlled and that any fishing on them without permission could be considered poaching

Maybe you'd like to familiarise yourself with this link http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/464

The following extract is from the Environment Agency site and is applicable to the South Eastern area - I am not really bothered what Yorkshire Police say or do, because it is not relevant to me.

On rivers, you may take no more than -

one pike of less than 65cm per day;

two grayling of between 30 and 38cm per day;

fifteen barbel, chub, common bream, common carp, crucian carp, dace, perch, pike,
roach, rudd, silver bream, smelt or tench (i
ncluding any hybrids of these species) of
less than 20cm per day.

A simple rod licence covers ALL of my needs:)

Not going to find much canal fisherman love from me, ever tried to get fishing line unwrapped from stern gear and propellers?

Not going to find much canal fisherman love from me, ever tried to get fishing line unwrapped from stern gear and propellers?

That is the minority , a good fisherman thinks a lot about the environment and will take line home and burn it . Sadly there are times when a line breaks and is impossible to recover , but this is few and far between .

I do not fish illegally.

I do not fish for eels because neither my missus or I can stand the taste of them.

I do not fish in private fisheries.

As there is only the missus and I, there is no chance of us breaching the 15 fish rule;)

Please get down off your high horse - are you a Daily Fail reader by any chance:LOL:

That is not a fact it is misinformation - rubbish.

The following extract is from the Environment Agency site and is applicable to the South Eastern area - I am not really bothered what Yorkshire Police say or do, because it is not relevant to me.

On rivers, you may take no more than -

one pike of less than 65cm per day;

two grayling of between 30 and 38cm per day;

fifteen barbel, chub, common bream, common carp, crucian carp, dace, perch, pike,
roach, rudd, silver bream, smelt or tench (i
ncluding any hybrids of these species) of
less than 20cm per day.

A simple rod licence covers ALL of my needs:)

The link I provided related to laws that are national and very much cover you, if you believe that they don't then you in for a real shock when you convicted :shake:

If you'd like to provided to location and date of your next fishing trip I'm sure I could arrange for an EA Bailiff friend of mine to come and see you!!!

The only things that really annoys me about cyclists these days is when they go straight through a red light and then abuse the motorist who has to slam the brakes on and nearly hits them as though it was all the motorists fault for driving through a green light in the first place. The other is when they ride in the road when there is a perfectly good cycle path about 12 inches away from them. It happens a lot on the road into the village I live in and got caught behind a long trail of traffic the other week behind a guy slowly pedaling down the road and weaving all over

Question why they don't use the cycle path. You think people wont choose the safer option? Does it have lots of grids and potholes, or is narrow, or there are cars parked in it?

If you haven't before cycle through it and see it from a different perspective.

The link I provided related to laws that are national and very much cover you, if you believe that they don't then you in for a real shock when you convicted :shake:

If you'd like to provided to location and date of your next fishing trip I'm sure I could arrange for an EA Bailiff friend of mine to come and see you!!!

Fine - it was after talking to an EA guy yesterday on their official number (he provided the link to MY local byelaws).

As for you arranging for one of your "friends" to come and see me - get a life - are you some Walter Mitty kind of character.:LOL:

I can just see the headlines now - Warwickshire man sends EA worker down to Kent in order to have an angler arrested for catching and killing a four pound pike for the table. EA worker then has to back down when he finds the local angler is well within his rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine - it was after talking to an EA guy yesterday on their official number (he provided the link to MY local byelaws).

As for you arranging for one of your "friends" to come and see me - get a life - are you some Walter Mitty kind of character.:LOL:

I can just see the headlines now - Warwickshire man sends EA worker down to Kent in order to have an angler arrested for catching and killing a four pound pike for the table. EA worker then has to back down when he finds the local angler is well within his rights.

I must have missed the link that you've provided :shrug: no I'm not a Walter Mitty type however my family has be heavily involved in fishing for the last 4/5 generations, I'd like to think I've build it a passing knowledge of the subject :cautious:

Andy700 - I don't get you.... you're either a massive wind-up merchant, or you have strange outlook on protecting fish stocks....

As for me being on a high horse. I'm passionate about angling and I earn my living from it. I don't want to see it destroyed by needless taking of fish. There's already too many fish being taken from unpoliced, unmanned waters by people from cultures that have a much sustainable source of fish and beleive that the UK is the same.

As for being a DM reader - lets just say the TV booklet is the only thing worth reading with it....

Question why they don't use the cycle path. You think people wont choose the safer option? Does it have lots of grids and potholes, or is narrow, or there are cars parked in it?

If you haven't before cycle through it and see it from a different perspective.

All drivers should have to cycle for at least a year before driving, that should sort most of the issues out about different perspectives...

SO much silliness in this thread ... everyone's a know-it-all on fishing it seems. Because of one incident. If they all threw back their catch, many, many people would be out of a job. And there'd be a big change in many people's diets! I have no love for the coarse angler, if anything all they do is irritate the fish. Pulling them in and out. A lot of fish they trow back don't survive because of how they handle them. And they don't pass anything along. It's a show 'sport'.

And now we're attacking cyclists? they go through red lights do they?? I'm a cyclist, never once have I ever gone through a red, I follow the ROTR like many motorists do not ... I love when they pretend not to see me when they cut me off dangerously on open corners - even ones with no lights. Try being a cyclist who obeys, only to get splashed dangerously alongside the curb, as a driver who can't be bothered to budge an inch flies through a deep puddle.

seems from this thread where there is one good mannered law abiding fisherman there are hundreds out there that are not.

same for cyclists where there is one who obeys the rules of the road there are hundreds who do not who give you all a bad name, same for motorists the list goes on.

its about not taring all people in all walks of life with the same brush.

All drivers should have to cycle for at least a year before driving, that should sort most of the issues out about different perspectives...

Agreed.
I assume you also believe all cyclists should drive for a year so that they can see things from a drivers perspective?
Likewise for Van drivers, Lorry Drivers, etc.

Unfortunately, while the majority of road users do behave in a reasonable manner, there are a minority (of cyclists, motorcyclists, car drivers, van drivers, lorry drivers, etc) that appear to believe the road is their own private space, the rules do not apply to them, and that everyone else should move aside / stop / wait, etc for them.

Agreed.
I assume you also believe all cyclists should drive for a year so that they can see things from a drivers perspective?

Unfortunately, while the majority of road users do behave in a reasonable manner, there are a minority (of cyclists, motorcyclists, car drivers, van drivers, lorry drivers, etc) that appear to believe the road is their own private space, the rules do not apply to them, and that everyone else should move aside / stop / wait, etc for them.

Most cyclists do have a driving license as well.

Agreed.

I recently started getting the bike out more (big Kona full suspension XC race bike), I used to drop it in the car and drive to locations, but with the weather I took to the roads.
On my first ride out, I had to overtake cars parked in a cycle path, I indicated to do so, pulled out and passed the cars outside the "door zone" doing about 28mph in a 30 limit, with some **** behind me, tailgating and leaning on the horn.

Plus despite there being a cycle path, I couldn't ride in most of it due to potholes, rubbish and drain covers with holes wide enough to grab my front wheel.

It's absolutely 100% correct that drivers need to see it from the cyclist perspective.
I hadn't ridden roads for a very long time and the difference in driver attitude from when I did regularly (in 1998) to now is just crazy.

Last edited:
Andy700 - I don't get you.... you're either a massive wind-up merchant, or you have strange outlook on protecting fish stocks....

As for me being on a high horse. I'm passionate about angling and I earn my living from it. I don't want to see it destroyed by needless taking of fish. There's already too many fish being taken from unpoliced, unmanned waters by people from cultures that have a much sustainable source of fish and beleive that the UK is the same.

As for being a DM reader - lets just say the TV booklet is the only thing worth reading with it....

I am not a wind up merchant at all, and I do not see what damage I am doing to the vast fish stocks of the UK, by taking around a dozen fish EACH YEAR for the pot - particularly when I am allowed to according to the byelaws covering my area.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.u...th_East_Fisheries_Byelaws_-_17_April_2013.pdf

Please see 1.7.2 which details the taking of fish, their numbers and size.

I am not a wind up merchant at all, and I do not see what damage I am doing to the vast fish stocks of the UK, by taking around a dozen fish EACH YEAR for the pot - particularly when I am allowed to according to the byelaws covering my area.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.u...th_East_Fisheries_Byelaws_-_17_April_2013.pdf

Please see 1.7.2 which details the taking of fish, their numbers and size.

Yes that is the regulation on what you can take in LAW but it is not what you can take by RIGHT, you still have to have permission of the owner of that strech of river/canal or whatever...oh and you mentioned not having a license...on any fresh water you have to have the appropriate rod license even private water

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/31485.aspx

As I said the vast majority of rivers in this country are privately controlled like it or not that is the truth

Permission to fish

A rod licence does not give you the automatic right to fish on any river, lake or canal. You must obtain permission from whoever owns or rents the fishing rights before you start fishing. This is usually the adjacent landowner or an angling club. Not all owners allow fishing on their waters and some restrict fishing to club or syndicate members only.

Where fishing is allowed, permits are usually available as day, week or season tickets. You can get these from the fishery owner, a local angling club or tackle shop, or from the club baliff. Some waters have a public right of fishing and some offer free fishing.

On my first ride out, I had to overtake cars parked in a cycle path, I indicated to do so, pulled out and passed the cars outside the "door zone" doing about 28mph in a 30 limit, with some **** behind me, tailgating and leaning on the horn.

So you cycled in a reasonable and responsible manner, but had an idiot (who happened to be driving a car) behind you.

Plus despite there being a cycle path, I couldn't ride in most of it due to potholes, rubbish and drain covers with holes wide enough to grab my front wheel.

Yes, there are some (actually quite a significant %) of cycle paths that are just a wast of space - councils who simply want a tick in the 'we have cycle paths' box, without a thought to their practicality.

We are lucky here in that we have a good network of off-road cycle paths - which have the advantage of being a good surface (with no potholes or drains), but they are shared cycle / pedestrian paths (but are all 10'+ wide), so not so good for high speed cycling.

Back