Flash Canon 40D

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Like many here I'm new to the world of photography and just starting to build up my bag of goodies. Next purchase will be a flash.

Any suggestions on a good flash that will not break the bank and will see me right for the next few years?

Thank you in advance.

I would suggest the Canon 580exII Speedlite for around £280 or the Canon 480ex II for around £147

Sorry about hijacking this thread but can someone explain the benefit of having the 580EXII over the 480EXII?

Sorry about hijacking this thread but can someone explain the benefit of having the 580EXII over the 480EXII?

There are a few benefits, but basically the main reason is that it has about 20% more power.

Another vote for the 580EXii, so good I bought two! :love: Just trying to get my head around master and slaves and all that...

Over the 430, main benefits are the 580 has 100% more power (one stop extra) and it can be used as a master for E-TTL control in a multi-flash set up. It also has a sync socket and an external sensor, plus a built in bounce card that works well and is very handy.

Over the 430, main benefits are the 580 has 100% more power (one stop extra) and it can be used as a master for E-TTL control in a multi-flash set up. It also has a sync socket and an external sensor, plus a built in bounce card that works well and is very handy.

That's the wide angle adapter, and the 430EX II has one :).

depends what you are going to be using it for. theres cheaper ones out there.

the nissin di622 cost £90 from new, and works well for bouncing flash.

That's the wide angle adapter, and the 430EX II has one :).

It's not Dan, it's a pull-out white card above the wide angle diffuser. A lot of guns have one, but not the 430EXII :)

Back