Flash for weddings? and for Sony camera

Name
Gabriel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone
I'm going to be shooting my first wedding in a month and was wondering if I need a flash. I think most of my shots will be outdoors (weather permitting) but I think that I'll probably need a flash for indoor shots. If so can you recommend one for my Sony a77 SLT (<- Bit of a random link...) and any good tutorials on how to use a flash.

Under £100 please

Thank you :)

EDIT: Worded my question wrong - can anyone suggest a flash basically is what I meant and any tutorials for that particular flash

Last edited:
I think most of my shots will be outdoors (weather permitting) but I think that I'll probably need a flash for indoor shots.
Why do you think you wouldn't want a flash for outdoor shots?

Try the Sony hvl-42-am or metz 50af-1.

The question you really should be asking is if you should be shooting someone's wedding if you've no idea how to use flash
I know how to use a flash (I'm not very experienced I admit) but I don't have a flash. I think I worded my question wrong, basically can anyone suggest a flash for my camera and tutorials for that flash.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Last edited:
Can you get a copy of Gary friedmans e book in the a77? Plenty of flash stuff in there - like more than you would ever need. A hvl 42 am will come in under budget. If using it on top your camera it will auto ttl.if you have access to the for sale section someone is selling 42 am's for £75.

Last edited:
Can you get a copy of Gary friedmans e book in the a77? Plenty of flash stuff in there - like more than you would ever need. A hvl 42 am will come in under budget. If using it on top your camera it will auto ttl.if you have access to the for sale section someone is selling 42 am's for £75.

Thanks Brazo :)

I can not even remember my first wedding
I have never shot a wedding with out flash. Even in black and white.
A month is not really long enough to be confident to use a flash in all conditions with out having to stop and think about it.
A wedding photograper does not have the time to stop and think about techniques, or his equipment.

Get an old Auto flash like the Metz CT45, which is powerful enough for interior shots and accurate enough to set and forget for 99% of the time and then just set the auto setting on the gun to two stops wider than what you are using on the camera and it will give good fill in flash for all the outside shots. Job done for 99% of what you will do on an average wedding

The other 1% is where your experience comes in to recognise when the auto sensor might be fooled.

You don't need anything flash or fancy for weddings.

I think k you have had some good suggestions, what I would add is please have back up plan for bad weather

Back