flash gun query

Name
Geof
Edit My Images
Yes
i have a panasonic G1 and the hotshoe shows 3 connections for dedicated flash and the large central one which seems to be on all cameras

i have got a vivitar zoom thyristor 2500 flash gun now with central contact only
in the past i have used thyristor guns and think this one will suit me fine

question...is it ok to use it on my G1 without any problems of firing voltages etc

it cost me 1.99 in a charity shop and i am itching to get back to flashlight photography without having to change the flash power in the camera when i have been using the built in small flash

the guide number of the V 2500 is 20M for asa 100 setting...iso 100 that is
which for me would be fine for indoor and close work up to 2-3M on thyristor settings

also it has bounce and zoom facility

you may think this is really out of the ark stuff but its what i was used to in the misty past...1988 etc

thanks for looking

cheers
geof

Trigger voltage is somewhere between 10-14v for the 2500. I'd check about your G1 before using it. Most modern cams seem to rate up to 6v although varies from manufacturer.

Hi, You should be able to get the maximum acceptable trigger voltage for your camera from the user manual, if it's not in there then from the makers website or customer services/technical department.

It's very easy to check the trigger voltage of the flash gun if you have access to a volt testing meter. Just switch on the flash gun and wait for it to reach it's firing capacity.

Switch the meter on and set it to a low reading to start with, maybe something around 20, then hold the Positive prong to the centre contact of the flash gun and the Negative prong to the side contact of the flash gun. If it's within the range of the meter setting then the reading you get will be the trigger voltage of that flash gun. If it's not in the range you have selected on the meter then increase the setting and check again. If it's higher than the acceptable trigger voltage of the camera then it's not a very good idea to use it directly connected to the camera.

"IMPORTANT NOTE". Some (but not many) older flash guns were Negative Polarity, if this is the case with yours it will show a (- minus) before the meter reading. If this is the case then it MUST NOT be connected directly to a digital camera as it will damage the camera regardless of the triggering voltage.

Hope this helps.

Trigger voltage is somewhere between 10-14v for the 2500. I'd check about your G1 before using it. Most modern cams seem to rate up to 6v although varies from manufacturer.

check!

i have been trying to tie down the G1 trigger voltage...with no luck
or
should i be finding out the trigger voltage of the G1 compatible flash gun??

i may be on a loser here and need to use some other means of firing the flash

cheers
geof

check!

i have been trying to tie down the G1 trigger voltage...with no luck
or
should i be finding out the trigger voltage of the G1 compatible flash gun??

i may be on a loser here and need to use some other means of firing the flash

cheers
geof

Hi, I've done a little bit of reserch for you with regards to flash trigger voltages of various flash guns and thought you might find the following link useful. Hope this helps.

George.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Hi, I've done a little bit of reserch for you with regards to flash trigger voltages of various flash guns and thought you might find the following link useful. Hope this helps.

George.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

thanks George

that is a great help and gets me down the road a bit...
i think i now need to find out the voltage of any gun which can be used on the G1 lumix...

cheers
geof

thanks George

that is a great help and gets me down the road a bit...
i think i now need to find out the voltage of any gun which can be used on the G1 lumix...

cheers
geof

and i have emailed panasonic tech help with the question now i know they exist
will let you know the result

hopefully i can get some use of the V2500...if not i may then consider a s/h one especially designed for the G1

Actually, most are rated up to 250 volts.

Best check the manual though.

Steve.

Actually, most are rated up to 250 volts.

Best check the manual though.

Steve.

thanks Steve...yes i did see the Canons take those high voltages...
i await some further data from panasonic in any event

the use of flash isnt a priority with me but if i had the thyristor flash going ok it would save me fiddling with the G1's flash power and using varying f no's to get the fill levels right

cheers
geof

i have a panasonic G1 and the hotshoe shows 3 connections for dedicated flash and the large central one which seems to be on all cameras

i have got a vivitar zoom thyristor 2500 flash gun now with central contact only
in the past i have used thyristor guns and think this one will suit me fine

question...is it ok to use it on my G1 without any problems of firing voltages etc

it cost me 1.99 in a charity shop and i am itching to get back to
flashlight photography without having to change the flash power in the camera when i have been using the built in small flash

the guide number of the V 2500 is 20M for asa 100 setting...iso 100 that is
which for me would be fine for indoor and close work up to 2-3M on thyristor settings

also it has bounce and zoom facility

you may think this is really out of the ark stuff but its what i was used to in the misty past...1988 etc

thanks for looking

cheers
geof

I think there is no such problem just take are of voltage. Even I have used G1 so there was no such issue(y)(y)

Last edited:
I think there is no such problem just take are of voltage. Even I have used G1 so there was no such issue(y)(y)

thanks Vincent...all this info is boosting my expectancy...if the V2500 works i will be going into a fill flash fase...fff...:LOL:...for some variation on doing pano stitching

cheers
geof

panasonic say the flash for the G1 trigger voltage is 3.6 and should not have a flash attached whose trigger voltage is greater than 12V
so it looks like i wont be wise to use the vivitar 2500

thanks for all the advice

cheers
geof

Back