Flashgun for Canon EOS400D for around £150. Black tie events photographs

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get a flashgun for around £150 (ideally not more) as I will be taking pictures of black tie events.

Some of the shots will be relatively close ups on a background where the subjects will be very up close with the background. So with normal flash from the 400d I would normally expect a horrible black shadow ring around the subjects. I may also be using the flashgun for night do's and even a wedding so would want to get a decent "first dance" shot.

Can anyone recommend anything on what might be a good buy.

Also, anyone have a good link to a thread or page about flash guns and what to look out for? It is the aspect of photography that I really don't understand and don't mind admitting that.

Thanks guys! :D

Try and find yourself a Canon 430EXII, it'll be slightly over your budget, but would be your best bet in that price range.

You should be able to get a Canon 430EX for that kinda price (maybe even the Mark II version, not too sure on prices though!). There are alternates from Sigma etc, I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise further :)

thanks for the advice so far. By the looks of it I will need to include getting a rechargable battery system as they seem to take just AA batteries don't they?

there's a 430EX for sale just now in the classifieds.

here mmcp42 looks after his stuff so if he says it's mint it is :)

I just bought the 430ex II today (£180 from camerabox) and it is much better than the pop up flash.

+1 for 430 EX II. I've got a 430 EX and very happy with it, it just works. It also has manual if you want to get it off camera at any time :)

You'll want a flash that can tilt and swivel, so that you can angle the flash head and bounce light off ceilings and/or walls. If there is nothing to bounce off you may need to consider a flash bracket so that you can keep shadows behind and below your subject rather than to one side where they are visible and ugly.

For the budget I do think a 430EX (II) would be the best bet. Also do some reading up here....

http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

and check this out for a cheap but effective flash modifier....

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

Rechargeable AA batteries are all I use and they suit me fine for weddings.

See examples (not very good ones but hopefully they will help) of how bounced vs direct flash looks and what effect different modifiers have - http://picasaweb.google.com/EezyTiger/Flash

Don't rule out the Sigma EX530ST Super it is a hell of alot of flash for the money and offers significantly more power than the 430 from canon, I got mine second hand on here for less than £150 and can't fault it.

little more (around £200) Sigma's EF-530 DG claimed guide no 53.

That does seem well featured - on the face of it almost up there with the 580EX.

Unfortunately it looks like the wireless control system is not compatible with Canon's, so you can't mix and match for wireless operation, unless you use a third party triggering system.

thank you very much for all the replies. Tim your links were extremely helpful although the bottom one did appear to have pics of someones mum lol!

I have gone for...... wait for it....

the speedlite 430EXII....! £175 from simplyelectronics.net. I have ordered 2 lenses off them before and they were spot on, slightly cheaper than most places and free delivery.

could do with sorting out some batteries now. Is it wrong to fantasise over eneloops? ha!

I would add that it is best to use nimh rechargeable batteries, as high a power as you can afford.

They are much more efficient for flash, give you a greater number of flashes per charge and shorten the flashes' recycle time.

Another vote here for the 430 EX, only slightly out of your price range, but fully compatible with your camera.

I own the 580EX, 580 EX II and 430 EXII and the 430 is more than adequate for what you will be using it for.

Something like a Stofen Omnibounce would be beneficial for you, there's a thread here in the lighting section where JPWONE made one from a Carex bottle.

Back