Flashgun Playaround?.

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi.

I am after a cheap flashgun, Pretty much to mess around with taking pictures of random things. Doesnt have to be the lastest and greatest bit of kit. 90% of my pictures are taken outside anyway, This is just for myself to play around with diffrent things angles and lighting. Looking around £40?.

To fit a Canon (1000d)

Was looking at the Jessops 300AFD

Thanks
Luke

Get one with E-TTL auto exposure control. I think you'll struggle to do that for £40. Nissin are good value.

Thanks. Was does the is E-TTL auto exposure necessary?. Dont you hook the flash up and setup in the camara settings to use a flash gun the put it onto auto flash?.

I am still learning so please excuse my ignorance!.

Luke

Thanks. Was does the is E-TTL auto exposure necessary?. Dont you hook the flash up and setup in the camara settings to use a flash gun the put it onto auto flash?.

I am still learning so please excuse my ignorance!.

Luke

I can excuse your ignorance Luke, but I'm struggling with your English bud ;)

For £40 I don't think you will get an auto-exposure gun with E-TTL. This is Canon's flash system which moderates the power output. Without this, with a manual gun you have to adjust the power output yourself, and it will change (a lot) according to distance, and other factors.

Sure you can do it manually, and it will help you learn a bit more about what's going on, but it's a faff. Cheapest manual gun I know of is the Yongnuo which Flash In The Pan sells in the link above - £35.

Thanks Hoppy, Well i just read back my post and some parts are well :wacky:, But in my defence i have a cold :p.

Well that clears that up. I am not sure if i would need and want to spend the extra on E-TTL gun, As i would only be using a gun to mess around with, Plus i wouldnt mind playing with settings to see how everything works.

Regarding the YongNuo YN460. Does this fit the Canon gun mount?, And how does it fair with the Jessops 300AFD?.

Thanks
Luke

Yongnuo fits no problem. That Jessops gun is three times the price, and you say you don't want E-TTL. For £100 I'd get a Nissin, much better spec.

For that money you could get a couple of Yongnuos and a set of triggers to do loads of fun stuff.

Hoppy, The Jessops 300AFD is £34.99, But for some reason when i click on the link (Jessops site) it goes back to there homepage.

Think i might go for the YN460, Seen a few people comments and seem to be ok for what i want it for.

Luke

Might be worth checking out your local Curry's.

The one near me was clearing Canon fit Sunpak PF30's or PF40's for around £30-40, these have e-TTL.

Hoppy, The Jessops 300AFD is £34.99, But for some reason when i click on the link (Jessops site) it goes back to there homepage.

Think i might go for the YN460, Seen a few people comments and seem to be ok for what i want it for.

Luke

So sorry, I've been looking at the Jessops 360AFD. Can't comment on the 300AFD as when you click on it, as you say, it goes to the home page.

Might be worth checking out your local Curry's.

The one near me was clearing Canon fit Sunpak PF30's or PF40's for around £30-40, these have e-TTL.

Just checked at the Basildon branch and they have at least one PF30X left at £35.

The Sunpak web site does not say if it is compatible with the 1000D, but most of the other recent Canon's are listed.

http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pdf/SUNPAK Comp Chart Apr08.pdf

Just checked at the Basildon branch and they have at least one PF30X left at £35.

The Sunpak web site does not say if it is compatible with the 1000D, but most of the other recent Canon's are listed.

http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pdf/SUNPAK Comp Chart Apr08.pdf

Thanks for the heads up, Just nipped down to my local now and they have non, And cant move stock around between stores :(.

Would there be any chance we could come to an arrangement?, Or am i talking silly? lol.

Luke

Back