Flower I.D please

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I was down in Somerset this weekend & managed to sneak the camera out between cloud-bursts.

I spotted this flower on a river-bank , I think it looks like an Orchid but my wife is unsure :thinking:

orchid.jpg

This is a teazel ? .It actually came out exactly as I wanted it to , I think I'm beginning to see DOF in real life :eek: :LOL:

teazel.jpg

I like No1, looks more like a humble Snap Dragon than an Orchid to me though(where is Boon these days?)

Not sure on No2 except to say at the mo Im very tired and it kind of hurts my eyes to look at it! :LOL:

I was going to say the same as Glo...think that top one gets really good seed heads later on, youjust touch them and the pods pop making you jump and the seeds shoot out :LOL: but I could be wrong, I'll ask Mavis ;)

I have virtually nada botanical knowledge, but I'd say that #1 is a snap dragon, too - especially if it's at the waters edge!

Oh boy I had so much fun as a kid wandering through streamside fields popping them :D

I emailed Mavis (my Mum) and this is her reply....
The first flower is some sort of seed head of a globe Thistle and the second one is the wild Balsam or touch me not as the seed pods explode and flirt everywhere . It is great fun . Related to the busy Lizzie

obviously I sent them in the opposite order to how they are displayed here....she taught me well cos I thought that was the plant that popped lol

Thanks Marianne , had a wander round the 'net and found pictures of wild Balsam that look like mine (obviously not as well taken ;))

Teasel is fantastic, that works very well for me, super!

All these shots people are showing that could be in the monthly!

The picture of the teasel is amongst the "wish i'd" class for me!

Back