Flower portraits

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Stepping right out of my comfort zone here! Over the last few months I've been buying flash equipment and modifiers to add to the two speedlights I used to use for macro when I thought I was a wildlife photographer. I soon gave up that lark as it's too easy to do boringly and too time consuming to do interestingly - as in no birds or insects with smooth backgrounds! The reason for the purchases was to take better 'product shots' for my business. having got stuck and been stymied with other projects I thought I'd put the gear to use and get to grips with it.

Wildflowers on a white background aren't a new idea. Nothing original here. It's just been a fun exercise for a few days. I had an idea how to do it having read an article on it ages ago. It looked easy enough. And it is!

For anyone who thinks picking wildflowers is wrong everything I've cut has come from my overgrown back wildlife garden!

First attempt.

_7500810.jpg

With the set up sussed it's just been a case of finding flowers and moving one light around, sometimes using a piece of white paper as a reflector.

As these pics are more in the line of illustration or 'art' I'm happy to ignore the usual processing and cropping constraints I try to stick to with more documentary pics.

_7500949.jpg

Something which has been confirmed is that it's not 'all about the light'. If the subject doesn't make the right kind of shapes it doesn't matter what the light is like. Slight repositioning of a flower can make all the difference. As I've done more of these I've got increasingly critical and picky.

I've even been using a tripod, remote release and taking a white balance reference shot. What hasn't changed is using the same lens I've been using pretty much all the time this year. I'm now wishing I hadn't sold a macro lens to help pay for it. :D

Each time I've had a play around, and this really is playing, I've made some improvement or worked something out.

_7510964.jpg

I doubt this project will continue for long. Like the wildlife thing it could easily become a check list project, ticking off flowers as they come in season. But it has been an interesting learning process as was photographing dragonflies.

The trickiest thing has been finding a way to hold the flowers in place. This is my solution cobbled together from bits and bobs I already had. It's highly adjustable and does the job.

DSC_2721.jpg

I would have posted this in the lighting forum but apart from being a good place to get gear advice it mostly makes me annoyed when I look in there. As it did yet again five minutes ago. :LOL:

_7501054.jpg

That's it.

I'll no doubt take more flower pics when I'm at a loose end. The trouble I have is that as soon as I've got a handle on a technique I lose interest because what interested me was the learning bit. Once I have the fundamentals sussed it's soon time to find something fresh. It was the same with dragonflies. The technique was easy to work out, getting close to the insects was the hard part. But I guess that's photography, the technical stuff is a piece of cake, finding a subject that resonates and having a story or message to get across is where the stumbling blocks lie. Is that why the internet is full of technical how-to information?

Thanks for looking.

The last one works... the first one too, kinda, but I think I'd have liked the see the stem/leaves in focus too.
I'm not so keen on the slanty look of the other two.

It's early days though, and you're good at working your projects so it will be interesting to see where you take it.

I agree about the focus in the first one. The slanty ones are slanty because I hadn't got my clamp for holding them perfected and that was the best I could manage! :LOL:

The pics are posted in chronological order to demonstrate how I've progressed. Initially it was a case of getting the lighting/exposure right. Then the processing. Finally making pictures.

But as I said the enthusiasm may wane unless I can find a way to make it a project that's more than a catalogue of the flowers in my garden.

I agree about the focus in the first one. The slanty ones are slanty because I hadn't got my clamp for holding them perfected and that was the best I could manage! :LOL:

The pics are posted in chronological order to demonstrate how I've progressed. Initially it was a case of getting the lighting/exposure right. Then the processing. Finally making pictures.

But as I said the enthusiasm may wane unless I can find a way to make it a project that's more than a catalogue of the flowers in my garden.
It does look like a catalogue style. Not sure how far 'away' you can take it from your initial idea though.

It does look like a catalogue style. Not sure how far 'away' you can take it from your initial idea though.
I was thinking more about final presentation than the picture taking. A grid is the obvious thing, but pairing the 'portraits' with pictures of other things (possibly manufactured) might work.

I like 'em. No fancy subjects - we have most of these in our garden, but carefully composed and photographed. Perhaps a shade bright on my monitor but I'm guessing that was the intent as it suits the Summery subjects.

I like 'em. No fancy subjects - we have most of these in our garden, but carefully composed and photographed. Perhaps a shade bright on my monitor but I'm guessing that was the intent as it suits the Summery subjects.
Ta.

It might be time to recalibrate my monitor, although I am processing lighter than I usually do as another step outside my comfort zone.

A cutting of new growth from a self-seeded oak. Achieving sufficient depth of focus is problematic - as is my lack of a macro lens for the many small weeds I have!

_7501155.jpg

As I expected I got bored with this...

So I thought I'd try a black background. First attempt below. It's another learning curve so I'll have a few more tries later this week. 'Flat' flowers are much easier as they require less depth of field to look all in focus.

_7501352-4.jpg

I enjoy looking at these.
I prefer the white backgrounds as the colours are not as satuarated and remind me of those old nature books with sketches of plants/species.
Having said that the last black one is an attractive use of lighting and shade with the most open flower pointing towards the light.
My wife enjoys having cut flowers in the house and during lockdown we have only been able to buy them once a week on our weekly shop. We try to keep them going as long as possible but some of them do make interesting subjects as they fade away,: wilting, loss of colour and shape etc. I have been trying to photograph them as they fade, partly as I like them and partly as a kind of touchstone to our current way of life.

I enjoy looking at these.
I prefer the white backgrounds as the colours are not as satuarated and remind me of those old nature books with sketches of plants/species.
Having said that the last black one is an attractive use of lighting and shade with the most open flower pointing towards the light.
My wife enjoys having cut flowers in the house and during lockdown we have only been able to buy them once a week on our weekly shop. We try to keep them going as long as possible but some of them do make interesting subjects as they fade away,: wilting, loss of colour and shape etc. I have been trying to photograph them as they fade, partly as I like them and partly as a kind of touchstone to our current way of life.

I like both backgrounds, but they do give much different moods to the pictures.

I've been thinking of trying this with some fading blooms, and seed heads.

Have you got an 18% grey board? You used to be able to get them. You could use that to calculate the exposure, then remove it for the actual pictures.
(y)
That's what I've started doing since I rediscovered this which is supposed to be the correct shade of grey. Certainly gets things close enough for me.

_7512329.jpg

I've been playing around some more and have altered my set up a little. I'm now using a small stripbox on the main light with a small reflector (handheld) for some fill. This seems to be giving a softer and more even light, certainly on the longer stemmed samples.

Today I've tried a couple of tricky ones. Elder and meadowsweet. Too difficult to separate the small pale flowers from a white background for my lighting skills. Don't look too bad on black.

_7512358.jpg

_7512363.jpg

_7512371.jpg

_7512369.jpg

I prefer the white background and find the most recent images especially, simply beautiful.

Have you tried printing them? I know almost nothing about the best papers for this type of image but I think a fine texture would work, maybe even Japanese paper.

Best ask the experts though :)

Keep going (y) (y)

I prefer the white background and find the most recent images especially, simply beautiful.

Have you tried printing them? I know almost nothing about the best papers for this type of image but I think a fine texture would work, maybe even Japanese paper.

Best ask the experts though :)

Keep going (y) (y)
I've printed one of the dog rose pictures and it looks fine. The paper was some glossy Fuji stuff that was on a two for the price of one offer. :exit::LOL:

I'm a Philistine when it comes to photo printing paper. I've tried 'fancy' papers in the past but prefer glossy, or smooth matt at a pinch.

I'll have to have another go at thistles as I didn't spot the earwig until I processed the picture!

_7512466.jpg

I still think I prefer the white backgrounds...
I think a lot depends on the flower. Light coloured ones with tiny petals and fine detail seem to me to merge into a white background (e.g. the elder), whereas the larger petals don't.

I've run out of flowers in my garden for now so I've cut a few locally. Just one of each and nothing scarce.

_7501912.jpg

_7501910.jpg

And something different.

_7501930.jpg

Last edited:
I much prefer the black ones, and that last top down image really appeals to me.
Thanks. Funny how I started out doing them ion white but on a whim tried black and now prefer the look. I guess sometimes it pays to be open to changes of direction.

I kept that teasel in some water and it's bloomed some more.

_7501995.jpg

_7502061.jpg

Another one I've kept in water which is developing.
_7502289.jpg

The allium has been kept in water, and continues to 'mutate'. So I had another go at it. This time on white.

_7503029.jpg

Hi Dave.

Well done with these.

Those last two really made me want to photogragh them.

The shapes and colour are wonderful.

Gaz

Hi Dave.

Well done with these.

Those last two really made me want to photogragh them.

The shapes and colour are wonderful.

Gaz
Thanks Gary.

It's not my usual thing but it's been fun and educational to do.

Funny how you can forget how to do something. I'm out of practice but flowers are coming out again so I should soon get back in the swing.

_7507706.jpg

Back