Flowers

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
This took a lot of patience for something so simple. I had to pre-shape the flower stems for a few hours before hand. Weighting them down with clothes pegs and tying up with fishing line, just to get the bends in the right places. Sometimes i wonder if it's worth the hassle, I will talk myself out of a doing a lot of photos for this reason.
Anyway, here it is.

untitled-9.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Needs viewing large in Flickr to appreciate it ... I'm in two minds, which I suppose is a good thing. :)

This took a lot of patience for something so simple. I had to pre-shape the flower stems for a few hours before hand. Weighting them down with clothes pegs and tying up with fishing line, just to get the bends in the right places. Sometimes i wonder if it's worth the hassle, I will talk myself out of a doing a lot of photos for this reason.
Anyway, here it is.

untitled-9.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

I didn't even know that flowers could be shaped, but I think it was well worth the effort although personally I might have gone for a simpler vase.

Me too, I didn’t know that you could shape flower stems?

I like it in monochrome (y)

I really like it ...I probably would have rotated the vase but leaving the flowers in the position they are.

Thanks everyone
Some stems bend better than others. These flowers (wild Garlic, from my garden) weren't the best choice because the stems are triangle in shape and have a concave in one of the sides of the triangle. Meaning they'll only bend into a loose right angle or S shape. Hollow stems are even worse.
Stems that are round and solid, bend a lot better and stay bent.

Needs viewing large in Flickr to appreciate it ... I'm in two minds, which I suppose is a good thing. :)
Yes, it's not everyone's cup of tea :)

I didn't even know that flowers could be shaped, but I think it was well worth the effort although personally I might have gone for a simpler vase.
The vase made lighting a bit tricky, but I did want to use something a bit different.

Me too, I didn’t know that you could shape flower stems?

I like it in monochrome (y)
Thank you

I really like it ...I probably would have rotated the vase but leaving the flowers in the position they are.
I did think about changing the orientation of the vase, but it took long enough to get the flowers to stay in the position I wanted and by then I didn't think I could go through it all again :)

That is a super image Dominic: composition, lighting, tones, choice of backgrounds, all good for me. (y)

Great image Dominic.

The bends are just perfect and fit the frame so well.

Was deffinately worth the time and effort you put in.

Loving that diffused highlight you created on the vase too.

For some reason I kind of want smoke to be coming out the top of that vase. I guess that's because the shape "in my minds eye" as the fluid look of smoke wafting upwards.

Well done.

Gaz

@gramps is right - it looks much better on Flickr - a lot more detail in the flower heads, stem etc. Looks very beautiful on that.
I would have included more 'grey' area to the top of the two flowers , similar to the amount to the side of the lower flower head.
I like the vase. The shape of it gives the impression that the flowers are twisted by it as they emerge.
Good job (y)

AS said that does look so much better on Flickr- very nice image :)

Les

That was well worth the effort Dominic. I love the way you've lit it - not an easy task. The curves in the vase are lit perfectly (for my taste) and the way you've 'shaped' the flowers complements it really well. Give yourself a pat on the back - I'd be really proud of that if it were mine. :) (y)

Great image Dominic.

The bends are just perfect and fit the frame so well.

Was deffinately worth the time and effort you put in.

Loving that diffused highlight you created on the vase too.

For some reason I kind of want smoke to be coming out the top of that vase. I guess that's because the shape "in my minds eye" as the fluid look of smoke wafting upwards.

Well done.

Gaz

Thank you

@gramps is right - it looks much better on Flickr - a lot more detail in the flower heads, stem etc. Looks very beautiful on that.
I would have included more 'grey' area to the top of the two flowers , similar to the amount to the side of the lower flower head.
I like the vase. The shape of it gives the impression that the flowers are twisted by it as they emerge.
Good job (y)
Thanks for your feedback

Beautiful......!

Thank you

AS said that does look so much better on Flickr- very nice image :)

Les

Thanks Les

That was well worth the effort Dominic. I love the way you've lit it - not an easy task. The curves in the vase are lit perfectly (for my taste) and the way you've 'shaped' the flowers complements it really well. Give yourself a pat on the back - I'd be really proud of that if it were mine. :) (y)

Thanks for the positive comments

Back