Flying cars. Drone-delivered pizzas. 5G

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
The email just landed into my inbox from Three (current supplier) and the tagline is exciting. The video (below) I must admit is not so exciting for me personally (lots of dumbed down zombie-like creatures in video game like augmented reality), but I can see why they did it like that to appease to media thirsty millennial consumers

I am just wandering what good may actually come of it? Drone deliveries - I'd be OK with it providing packages will be transported in better shape than they are today. Flying cars (PRIVATELY OWNED, and free to go anywhere) -- HELL YES! Scotland here I come for the sunset. All the rest I'm not too sure. I am not into gaming or media consumption to say the least.

Last edited:
As long as the flying cars are not 'flown' by your average motorist, many of whom cannot cope with travelling in 2 dimensions, never mind 3.

AI will take care of the flying, probably designed by Tesla.

Half Life Alyx shows immersive VR gaming is the future, I can't wait for it to become mainstream. Reason current crop of games are not as good is because they all have VR added retrospectively.

Drone delivery is going to be great as long as the noise levels from ground level are not more than occasional noisy ICE cars on the road. Don't want quiet neighbourhoods have noisy drones constantly buzzing around.

I don't agree with flying cars though. With the level of details VR can achieve, people's need to move around the world will be greatly reduced. We need to be moving towards more efficient existence, not spend MORE energy to get to places further away for a short time or so just because.
Also, human driven flying cars could be another problem on its own.

5G is just natural progression. No one has ever gotten fired buying too much RAM, same goes for infrastructure speed, the quicker the better. I just wish it happens in the next few years, not in the distant future as shown by the advert.

I don't agree with flying cars though. With the level of details VR can achieve, people's need to move around the world will be greatly reduced. We need to be moving towards more efficient existence, not spend MORE energy to get to places further away for a short time or so just because.
Also, human driven flying cars could be another problem on its own.

While I could agree about conference calls replacing some in person meetings, as a landscape photographer nothing is going to stop me wanting to go places. In fact quite the opposite.

While I could agree about conference calls replacing some in person meetings, as a landscape photographer nothing is going to stop me wanting to go places. In fact quite the opposite.
It's the mass commute I'm more concerned about. May be after this virus force everyone to work remotely, more people will want start working remotely more often.

I expect there will be 2 outcomes:
- Most people move to remote working, freeing up the sky and resources for pleasure. Meaning people can get to where they want to go quicker, if they have the resources to do so.
- Due everyone moving to remote working, research into new technology to move people quicker like the flying car will slow to a halt. Meaning we are stuck with what we have today, only saving grace is the absence of rush hours.
Will depends on which comes first, remote working or flying cars.......

Thankfully I don't have a job where I can work remotely, I can't think of anything worse.

Thankfully I don't have a job where I can work remotely, I can't think of anything worse.
We've got a visit due from a gas fitter for the annual service. If he says he's going to work remotely I think I might panic. Just a little bit... :exit:

We've got a visit due from a gas fitter for the annual service. If he says he's going to work remotely I think I might panic. Just a little bit... :exit:
It's the mass commute I'm more concerned about. May be after this virus force everyone to work remotely, more people will want start working remotely more often.

- Most people move to remote working, freeing up the sky and resources for pleasure. Meaning people can get to where they want to go quicker, if they have the resources to do so.
- Due everyone moving to remote working, research into new technology to move people quicker like the flying car will slow to a halt. Meaning we are stuck with what we have today, only saving grace is the absence of rush hours.

This. I think for every 1 office job where remote working is possible, there are several out there that are not. For example how would I remotely photograph some interior?

With a drone? :coat:
I actually got into drones partly for this reason :LOL:

I think VR drone tourism will be great. Take out the pointless wasted hours in the airports, jump straight to the attractions. The same tourist spots can suddernly hold a LOT more tourists and feel a lot less crowded.

This. I think for every 1 office job where remote working is possible, there are several out there that are not. For example how would I remotely photograph some interior?
Of course I'm not saying everyone must do remote working. But there are so many who can and more things can be done to reduce travel: appliances should be able to tell the technician what's wrong saving multiple trips, a lot of trades quotes can be given via photos and Emails, etc.

But for every 1 office job not commuting, or even just reduce to 2 days in the office, there will be a massive amount of resources saved. If all office jobs do more remote working, there will be a huge improvement in rush hour traffic, better for everyone.

You can, of course, use a really long lens to photography interior ;)

Remote working has been around for decades. My ex-employer introduced remote working and hot desking in the late 90s for its salesforce & system engineers & consultants. We were given laptops, home printers, they paid for ADSL lines to be installed. It saved them a fortune in office accomodation.

Some kind of postal delivery of a high quality web-connected camera (maybe evem remotely controlled). Sweep/scan around the room and let a 'digital artist' do their thing with that raw material.

Back