Flying Dragonfly

Name
chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to take pics of wakeboarding but not much going on. Spotted this dragonfly & decided to give it a try. Can't believe how fast these guys are.
Had to use manual focus most of the time & just hope!! This was a first for me but I think I may be hooked.
Regards
Chris

#1 looks promising, but the i age is soooo small. can you post a larger one?

not sure I have done this right.

DSC_0128a.jpg

hope so.
Chris

A brilliant set of in-flight DF shots - even more impressive as your first go, so very well done!

Yes, it is very addictive and quite a challenge. Some days you get lucky, others you get very disappointed and frustrated, but you still go back for more lol.

Linda

Fully agree with Linda, seriously not easy and a big dollop of luck is needed to get them well. Nice views of what I am fairly sure is an Emperor Dragonfly - Anax imperator - they will fly for most of the day.

Yep, Emperor Dragonfly. #1 is great, especialliy as this species does not stop flying often. You'll definately get hooked and while-away many hours trying to get that shot that is better than your last one.

Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah you are right I think luck has a lot to do with it. Got a chance this weekend to do it again, bit of advice, should I stick with the 70 - 200 or use my 105 micro? Prefer the flying shots rather than static to be honest. Like the challenge!!
Regards
Chris

Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah you are right I think luck has a lot to do with it. Got a chance this weekend to do it again, bit of advice, should I stick with the 70 - 200 or use my 105 micro? Prefer the flying shots rather than static to be honest. Like the challenge!!
Regards
Chris

Use the 70-200mm, set camera to auto ISO, shutter speed priority at around 1/1000 sec and fire away - good luck and don't forget to pots you results.

They are great very well done. I managed to snap one of these when he was still (in my gallery) but I didnt have a prayer while he was in flight you caught it very well!!

Use the 70-200mm, set camera to auto ISO, shutter speed priority at around 1/1000 sec and fire away - good luck and don't forget to pots you results.

Any reason why not to use the 105?

Thanks for the comments Michelle, yeah these guys are hard to get. Cant wait for Sunday, son playing/training basketball for 6 hours leaving me 6 hours to catch that df.
Chris

Great images. They have nspired me to get out my 105mm & go hunting around the garden (if the sun stays with us).

Superb images, you have spurred me on to go to our local lakes and try to capture the dragonfly there

Back