Focus ST & RS Meet - 23rd July

Name
Will
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I've posted this in the 'Motorsport' section by mistake, and haven't received many comments or critique and I think that's the reason why - so thought I'd post it here where it belongs!

This is the second 'car meet' that I have photographed so I'd like to know how I can improve in the future. Here are a few shots from the Tarnock Garage ST Open Day in Axrbidge, Somerset a few weeks ago.

I'd like to know what your thoughts are - I played with different compositions and angles to try and add some interest to the cars.

Some of them are HDR as it was midday and the sun was out (I would've taken them earlier or later but this was not possible unfortunately).

Enough of me rambling on...let me know what you think...

#1 - One of my first successful panning shots.

300hp Green Goblin by Will James Photography, on Flickr

#2 - B&W RS

RS by Will James Photography, on Flickr

#3 - HDR ST using Photomatix Exposure Fusion

Posed. by Will James Photography, on Flickr

#4 - HDR ST 500 using Exposure Fusion, selective colouring with adjustment brush (Lightroom 3), and graduated filter tool (Lightroom 3)

Ready to Roar by Will James Photography, on Flickr

Thank you for looking, I hope you like them :)

If you like them there are many more on my Flickr set, here.

Will.

Great set :) Love number 1, for me it seems spot on. There is something about the vibrant green set against the natural green of the trees that makes it quite interesting to me. Not sure about the selective colouring on the final image, just the number plate and light in colour doesn't do a lot for me I'm afraid. Maybe if the stripe was in colour, it could work nicely? :)

Looks like a great set of pictures there! Love the effect on nr 3 :)

Great set :) Love number 1, for me it seems spot on. There is something about the vibrant green set against the natural green of the trees that makes it quite interesting to me. Not sure about the selective colouring on the final image, just the number plate and light in colour doesn't do a lot for me I'm afraid. Maybe if the stripe was in colour, it could work nicely? :)

Hi Will, thanks for your comments. I'm glad you like #1, it was my fave of the day :) I know what you mean about the selective colour, someone else pointed it out on Flickr and I meant to replace it with a pure B&W - I will do that this week and let you know to see what you think. The stripe is silver unfortunately so only looks a bit blue when I take out the selective colour due to the sky reflecting on it.

Looks like a great set of pictures there! Love the effect on nr 3 :)

Thank you, Hans :)

Those are all great, but I'm more impressed with the 2 HDR shots as they're pretty much the first hdr's I've ever seen that actually look right and natural instead of looking weird with halos around everything.

Great job on those two! Would love to know how you got it right! :)

Those are all great, but I'm more impressed with the 2 HDR shots as they're pretty much the first hdr's I've ever seen that actually look right and natural instead of looking weird with halos around everything.

Great job on those two! Would love to know how you got it right! :)

Hi Justin (btw just signed up to your blog newsletter),

Thanks! Glad you like them! I used Photomatix and the Exposure Fusion category, then adjusted things slightly....I think a lot of people who do HDR using Photomatix tend to purposely go for the 'surrealistic' effect, whereas I just wanted to blend the exposures and bring the best from each out in one final image.

Here are some more HDR shots from the same day since you like them :) (I didn't direct post them as I don't want to spam the thread for others lol)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willnicks/5988385670/in/set-72157627184393481

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willnicks/5987738805/in/set-72157627184393481

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willnicks/5987719543/in/set-72157627184393481

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willnicks/5987708051/in/set-72157627184393481

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willnicks/5988146950/in/set-72157627184393481

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willnicks/5988106542/in/set-72157627184393481

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willnicks/5987519831/in/set-72157627184393481

Last edited:
Cheers man! It's getting updated soon I swear haha.

I just love the fact that the effect is being used for it's real intended purpose as in to avoid ending up with a photo thats over or under exposed in places and not in others. And for that they look awesome.

Some seriously nice metal in your pics too. Liking the obligatory yb cossie engine shots too ;)

You'll have to come down castle combe on one of the race days we'll be running the uni's ff1600s in!

I like no3, its not an obvious hdr which I think works far better than the in your face type.. now clone out that pylon :LOL:

Cheers man! It's getting updated soon I swear haha.

I just love the fact that the effect is being used for it's real intended purpose as in to avoid ending up with a photo thats over or under exposed in places and not in others. And for that they look awesome.

Some seriously nice metal in your pics too. Liking the obligatory yb cossie engine shots too ;)

You'll have to come down castle combe on one of the race days we'll be running the uni's ff1600s in!

Thanks mate :) Yeah there were some nice cars there. There's a Ford Motorsport meet on Sunday 28th on Weston beach lawns so I'll be going there to get some more pics. I'm definitely up for coming to combe for a race day! I haven't got a car I can race in though lol. Are you going to the Forge Summer Performance Car Action Day on September 10th?

I like no3, its not an obvious hdr which I think works far better than the in your face type.. now clone out that pylon :LOL:

Thanks for your comment :) Ok ok I will :LOL: I'll let you know when I've done it and re-posted.

Will James said:
Thanks mate :) Yeah there were some nice cars there. There's a Ford Motorsport meet on Sunday 28th on Weston beach lawns so I'll be going there to get some more pics. I'm definitely up for coming to combe for a race day! I haven't got a car I can race in though lol. Are you going to the Forge Summer Performance Car Action Day on September 10th?

I didn't know that was on! I'll book a day off and get down there with my gear :)

some great shots, but a shame about the locations (people and backgrounds etc) but the cars look stunning

some great shots, but a shame about the locations (people and backgrounds etc) but the cars look stunning

Thanks Adam, really appreciate it! Yes unfortunately the backgrounds aren't ideal, but it gave me an opportunity to practice shooting the cars from different angles nevertheless :)

Makes me miss my old '07 orange ST2! Nice photos, backgrounds are messy, but you've got the overall feel of the meet there.

Col

Hi Col,

Thanks for your comment, really appreciate it. Glad you like the pics, if I get time I'll edit the photos further to declutter the backgrounds a bit.

I like number three, HDR is a very personal thing and this picture works for me; not too much just sharpening it up a bit and bringing the colours out.

Reminds me of my Focus ST, really liked that car.

Thanks :) yes with HDR I always use the exposure fusion option on photomatix to simply blend the three bracketed shots and adjust contrast as necessary. On the link provided in my first post you'll see a few more of this 'natural' look for HDR images from that day...

I haven't owned an ST (i wish) but my friend has one so I tag along to these meets :)

Back