Focus stacking question

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Wasn't sure which was the best place for this so please move if wrong.

I have been having a go at focus stacking on smaller objects, although not strictly macro.
The issue I am getting is that in the final merge there are areas that are not focused/sharp, but where I had taken an individual frame with these areas in focus and sharp.
What am I doing that causes this?
Does it matter what order I take or select each image/focus point?

FYI, this is the link I used for the process:
http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-focus-stack-macro-images-using-photoshop/

Hi andrew, it might help to post up the images so we can take a look at them, I have had no problems with PS CS6 stacking the images for me and not having to touch them afterwards (not that I pixel peep the stacked object).

If you could post up the complete set of images plus your final stacked version (if its half dozen or so, I could have an attempt) and just see if we're doing something different. I used that tutorial to figure out how to do my stacking, but I dont do the final-touch-ups that it explains.

Wasn't sure which was the best place for this so please move if wrong.

I have been having a go at focus stacking on smaller objects, although not strictly macro.
The issue I am getting is that in the final merge there are areas that are not focused/sharp, but where I had taken an individual frame with these areas in focus and sharp.
What am I doing that causes this?
Does it matter what order I take or select each image/focus point?

FYI, this is the link I used for the process:
http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-focus-stack-macro-images-using-photoshop/

If you're sure that the different shots aren't very far apart in focus then the only other thing that comes to mind is that the automated process hasn't quite picked the right parts. The focus stacking process isn't perfect sadly so sometimes it requires a bit of manual intervention.

Back