Food Photography

That looks very nice, but to my mind the composition is more "still life" than "food" . In general food often looks best if it's photographed from a point of view which approximates how you see it when you eat it. 'Dressing' the shot appropriately with kitchenware can help, and a tilt-shift lens can throw the plane of focus across the top of the food. Lighting is important, of course, as it is with every type of photography. If you want to get into food photography more seriously, you could do much worse than study the photos in the Waitrose Food magazine - they're consistently good.

Last edited:
H Jose,
the cake looks luscious, like Stewart says try taking from different angles, maybe putting plates serviettes and dessert forks on the table too just as if you were going to cut into it, food looks good with back lighting too, and look in the food magazines, the Waitrose food magazine is good but you can learn even from Tesco's mag. good first try(y)

Yes I must admit when i've tried food photography it's the angles and composition I struggle with. To me I think this is image good but maybe shot slightly higher and some more light coming in from the right side. I usually use a reflector to one side (white card). I'm know expert though :)
Good luck with future photos.

Gaz

Back