Football Players team photos

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been asked if i would consider taking the team photos and individual player photos for 2 local non league football teams, my question is which lens is more suited to this for each type of picture. The individual pics are head and shoulders only!

Shooting with a Nikon D300 and a choice of the following lenses

1 24-120 f3.5/5.6 vr

2. 35 f1.8

3. purchase something that would suit depending on a limited budget of £150

any advice would be welcome!

:shrug:

depends what effect you want... I always shoot head shoulders with players knelt and my slightly above.. this gives a plain grass background the same for everyone.. then if they add players during the season its easy to replicate the background... all look same on website for example

what lens will depend on what effect you want and the lighting available.. you dont say if this is indoors wiht flash or outdoors..

either of your lens will do.. i would shoot outside as above with grass background f8 point at eyes

ALSO
When doing team pic... make sure the club have benches/seating ready before you arrive... make sure players know not to wear teeshirts under the kit (diff coloured sticking out at neck usualy) get the players with black or white boots at front.. nothing worse than one lime green or bright red pair of boots at front spoils it...

i get the players to do a stupid pic first tell them i am checking my setting.. get them to pull there faces do summat stupid.. makes for a great fun team pic and also gets it out of there system before the serious one :)

the trouble wiht football players when they are all together.. from pro to amatuer....they become like a bunch of school kids.. you ahve to control them...

Last edited:
really appreciate your hints and tips. The pics will be for their website eg player stats and the likes!

im hoping to go up during the day for the shoot but have to arrange that with PR man

going up tonight to speak to the press guy that does all the PR work for 1 club and try my hand at the game under flood lights for the first time!

depends what effect you want... I always shoot head shoulders with players knelt and my slightly above.. this gives a plain grass background the same for everyone.. then if they add players during the season its easy to replicate the background... all look same on website for example

what lens will depend on what effect you want and the lighting available.. you dont say if this is indoors wiht flash or outdoors..

either of your lens will do.. i would shoot outside as above with grass background f8 point at eyes

ALSO
When doing team pic... make sure the club have benches/seating ready before you arrive... make sure players know not to wear teeshirts under the kit (diff coloured sticking out at neck usualy) get the players with black or white boots at front.. nothing worse than one lime green or bright red pair of boots at front spoils it...

i get the players to do a stupid pic first tell them i am checking my setting.. get them to pull there faces do summat stupid.. makes for a great fun team pic and also gets it out of there system before the serious one :)

the trouble wiht football players when they are all together.. from pro to amatuer....they become like a bunch of school kids.. you ahve to control them...

+1. I usually take a set of small kitchen steps to stand on so I can get at least as high if not higher than the players!

ALSO

Thanks for this, great tips. Especially about shooting from slightly above and the wearing of undergarments. I found myself PS-ing some neck areas last season because of this. Unfortunately plain old boots are becoming less common in favour of the more garish!

Back