Forgotten History

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
I'm very much a fan of local knowledge and when I stumble across a building I often like to research its history. There is an old building seen from the road I often travel on and I've always wanted to photograph it. Prior to my trip I did some research on what it used to be. Its about a 15 minute walk through the countryside through fields and brambles to find it all alone and forgotten. Below is copied from an article on the internet about its history.. I find it rather facinating myself.... Anyone have some pictures and stories to share?

https://flic.kr/p/pYGmSe

I used to go on 28 days later web site. They do a lot of urb ex with photos and reports
I love clambering around old buildings. The more no entry signs the better

Love stuff like this and thats a nice shot though I think the angle might be just a bit too low, though I am guessing there were reasons for it?

I just recently discovered there is a windmill very near where I live, not unusual in itself, except this is north London, not known for it's mills normally. Sadly it is in a private garden and visibility and access to it are very limited, I would love to get a decent photo of it.

Very interesting history Scott and I really like the way you have captured the ruins, nice work,

Geoff

Love stuff like this and thats a nice shot though I think the angle might be just a bit too low, though I am guessing there were reasons for it?

I agree with this comment, maybe portrait orientation may have worked better with being a bit further away from the building.
I can see why you wanted the sky and stars in the picture so much.

I love things like this too, when there is a little history behind them.
Seeing's you asked, to "share" Although this is not local to me, I found myself working in the area a couple of years ago.

From the web :-
Slains Castle, also known as New Slains Castle to distinguish it from nearby Old Slains Castle, is a ruined castle in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. It overlooks the North Sea from its cliff-top site 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) east of Cruden Bay. The core of the castle is a 16th-century tower house, built by the 9th Earl of Erroll. Significant reconstruction of the castle has been carried out a number of times, lastly in 1837 when it was rebuilt as a Scots Baronial mansion. At one time it had three extensive gardens, but is now a roofless ruin. Plans to restore the castle have been on hold since 2009.

The locals of Cruden Bay fondly call Slains Castle Dracula's Castle. It is believed that Bram Stoker was so inspired by the Castle that it formed the basis for his most famous novel Dracula. Bram Stoker stayed in the nearby hotel, The Kilmarnock Arms, whilst he wrote his novel. Early drafts of his novel had Dracula coming ashore at Cruden Bay after his sea voyage from Transylvania. However, this was changed to Whitby in Yorkshire for the final published work.

View attachment 29555

View attachment 29556

Back