Formula one farce

Wonder how many people put money on a Massa win at the bookies and are now out of pocket?

I don't have a problem with team orders....Formula 1 isn't just about who is the fastest driver, which is what makes it interesting imo.

What stinks is seeing the drivers and team just barefaced lying in front of the cameras, it's embarassing frankly and just brings the sport into disrepute.

If you follow that argument to its conclusion, Red Bull should have been penalised for swapping the front wings between the drivers at Silverstone.

At what point is it acceptable for a team to assist one driver to the detriment of the other? During the race is not OK, but giving one inferior equipment is?

I don't think they should have done that either to be honest. If they'd only had one part ready or needed to run both for comparison then fair enough but to just take parts off one driver because the other guy broke his? No.

If Vettel was a proper sportsman he'd have refused the part.

maybe we should go back to the old days where one driver would give up his car so the one that'd crashed/ broken down could finish the race?

But even if i did agree with it it's completely different. Once they're on track it's a RACE and as much as possible the finishing order should be determined by the ability of the drivers not a guy sat watching in the pit lane.

What's the point in having drivers and constructors titles if they're just going to use the 'second' driver to help the other win regardless of talent? :shrug:

Last edited:
The simple fact is, the championships are worth a **** tonne amount of money to the teams - both in funds received from FOM/FIA and sponsorship deals. So expecting the teams to make decisions that dont favor the mathematically better suited driver in the standings is ridiculous - especially when the championships are so incredibly close.

If you want to watch true motorsport, I suggest going to your local kart track. Formula 1 is a multi-billion pound business, and its going to be run that way - regardless of whether its in the spirit of the sporting regulations and driver fairness or not.

I meant the racing is grassroots/basic racing.. The racing is far more agressive, and a lot fairer.. at least it was when I used to kart

I know very much its a money game, all levels of motorsport are.

Last edited:
If you follow that argument to its conclusion, Red Bull should have been penalised for swapping the front wings between the drivers at Silverstone.

At what point is it acceptable for a team to assist one driver to the detriment of the other? During the race is not OK, but giving one inferior equipment is?

As pointed out on one of the F1 sites, if Red Bull had any sense, they should have only let one of their drivers have the new front wing and let him have both copies of it rather than give them one each and hope neither broke it.

Here's looking forward to Sept 3rd (WMSC meeting when Ferrari's rule scoffing comes under higher scrutiny) and hoping they come to a decent conclusion. Oh, and for those who may be worried about JT's impartiality, he's not going to be sitting, to avoid any calls that he may be biassed. Just hope Spanky Max isn't going to be invited back as a guest president...

In the 80s and early 90s ,F1 was interesting and a fierce battle to win at ALL!!! costs,and drivers held a bit of respect . Today it's a joke ,i don't care who wins ,i want to see close wheel to wheel action not moans that their tyre's have grained up or i haven't the right balance in the car drive around these problems ,the Ayrtons and Mansels and Prost's all had problems similar to these but they still put in stonking drives .Modern day drivers have so much more help in and out of the car these days, and as for team orders .... they're a complete joke IMO

The simple fact is, the championships are worth a **** tonne amount of money to the teams - both in funds received from FOM/FIA and sponsorship deals. So expecting the teams to make decisions that dont favor the mathematically better suited driver in the standings is ridiculous - especially when the championships are so incredibly close.

It's not ridiculous. The rules/ laws say no team orders which fix race results.

I expect a team/ business to comply with the law. :shrug:

It's either a sport or it's not. If it's a sport then ALL the competitors should be giving their all to win. Not handing points to people who haven't earned them. :cautious:

Also it's only a multi-billion pound business while we bother to watch it and if it continues to go the way it has over the last decade then i suspect the attendance figures and TV ratings could drop drastically.

If you want to watch true motorsport, I suggest going to your local kart track. Formula 1 is a multi-billion pound business, and its going to be run that way - regardless of whether its in the spirit of the sporting regulations and driver fairness or not.

Naa.. Not karting. I prefer super bikes, BTTC, & the lower formula races. Much more entertaining :)

Indeed they do say that. The rules say many things which are regularly breached.
The biggest problem is with teams often being financially fragile, its hard to punish them. Take Renault's crash-gate for example - a pathetic 2 year suspended ban for race fixing. The FIA knew that if they imposed a financial penalty, Renault would duck out. With Honda having pulled out earlier that year and Toyota teetering over the edge (and now gone) - they couldn't take that risk.

Back to 'current affairs', Ferrari have been fined $100K to bring themselves back in contention for a drivers championship - thats pretty cheap considering the potential rewards.

So as I said previously, teams will favor the mathematically more advantaged driver because it makes business sense.

I personally don't believe the teams should be allowed to order their driver to pull over, and let another through. I would've preferred to see Alonso fight for that position, but when you're a team manager, in this case Stefano Domenicalli, are you going to order Massa to pull over and risk a fine - or risk them taking each other and not getting an almost guaranteed win, like the RedBulls in Turkey?

Of course we can all sit here and play armchair team manager/FIA/driver/steward - but we dont have that corporate and commercial pressure on us to perform and maximize the results for the sponsors.

I also highly doubt that F1 is in risk of having its ratings drop or attendance plummet any time soon. It survived Schumachers dominance, and has had 3-4 seasons of fantastically close championships. I dont have any statistics such as viewing figures or attendance records, but I would say F1 as a brand and show is probably the strongest its been in a long time. Especially with the lack of scandals this year.

James

Back