Found a great, cheap image browser for OSX / Alternative to Bridge

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
I've never really got on with Bridge since it's inception. I always found it sluggish and clunky.
I've always yearned for a simple image browser with access to opening in editors, thumbnail sizes....Most importantly was speed of browsing.

Finally found one for OSX.

Lyn.

Strange name I know, but I gave it a whirl and ended up buying it. I can finally ditch Adobe Bridge and concentrate on the main three, Lightroom, Lyn and Photoshop.

http://www.lynapp.com/index.html
Bargain at £16.00 imo.

No this isn't a paid advert, there are loads of people with Macs on here and if anyone's like me, will find Bridge sluggish and clunky. :)

Lightroom, can answer that one easily. I only have my RAWs and actual photography photographs (If that makes sense) in the LR catalogues.
All my family photos / snaps etc (I have 10's of 1000's of them on HD's)...are in JPEG's in folders. Constantly updating a LR catalogue to include these is too much unnecessary work.

Finder, I've always found a bit of a pain. I like a directory tree on the left. Always have. I suppose it goes back to my Windows Explorer roots, but I find it easy to browse my HD structure that way, and coupled with a quick thumbnail update on the right.
Quick Preview using the space bar is fine...but I have always had a bug with it. I scroll to the next photo, then go back...and sometimes it's just blank.

Open a folder full of images, hit the first one, then hit space bar.
Then use the arrows to scroll through...get a few in, then use the up arrow to go back. Boom, empty image.
Down arrow to the next and that's fine...It's strange.
I did try googling it once but gave up. :p

:thinking: not sure how updating a lightroom catalogue can be too much hard work? Create a family catalogue, add all the folders, job done just the once, only needs adding to when you add more new pics, which as you have to download the to your mac anyway, might as well be done via LR as any other method....

Mind you, I am also a firm advocate of having as few programs as you need on any computer and not cluttering it up with totally unnecessary rubbish... :p

Im constantly importing photos.
Quick photos of the kids? Done, copied over from memory card and renamed and filed in one or two clicks. (Using ImageIngesterPro, very quickly loads up and does it's job).

When I bought Lightroom I did try and use that for importing and organising all my snaps / jpegs etc, but it was overkill and wasn't quick enough to do everything how I wanted it. (File renaming, folder structures etc).

Bear in mind this is so I can browse a vast selection of images quickly.
As my iMac is getting on a bit now (mid 2010), I'm looking for ways more than ever to keep it snappy. (Bear in mind in my Windows days I used to reformat and reinstall everything every couple of months!) :D

What about Picassa? I thinks thats free and if I remember rightly it searches for your pics and updates it's listing of images (I might be wrong it's years since I tried it)

Just Apple photos :) it looks super fast. Is in developer preview at the moment but will be released for general access imminently.

Back