Four thirds lens on a m4/3 Panasonic body??

Edit My Images
No
Bit of a long shot, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of using an Olympus 14-54 (4/3 lens) on a Panasonic m4/3 body, via adapter.
I have read lots and seen various videos re slowish AF speed (apparently v2 quicker than v1) but would be very interested in hearing from anyone that's currently using this combo (or has done in the past) as their "take everywhere" kit. What is it really like to live with day to day?
Thanks

I've no direct experience but I would expect it to be pretty poor.

The old Oly lenses really need a phase detect type AF system and Panasonic flatly refuse to use Phase AF on their m43 bodies. In fact there are only two Oly m43 cameras that work to any great degree with the old 4/3 lenses and they are the EM1 and EM1ii, both of which have phase detect in their AF systems.

I've no direct experience but I would expect it to be pretty poor.

The old Oly lenses really need a phase detect type AF system and Panasonic flatly refuse to use Phase AF on their m43 bodies. In fact there are only two Oly m43 cameras that work to any great degree with the old 4/3 lenses and they are the EM1 and EM1ii, both of which have phase detect in their AF systems.

Thanks Ned. Plenty of reading made me aware of the PDAF issue but I also read that the version 2 of the 14-54 had been "optimised" for CDAF. Just thought if AF speed wa bearable, it might be worth picking up one of these for optical quality/cost.
Thanks.
Stuart

I can't say I know specifically but I'd be surprised if a 4/3 lens had been optimised for CDAF as they are from the days of DSLRs (remember them? :p) which don't have CDAF.

Could be wrong but I wouldn't risk it, especially as pretty much all of the m43 lenses are fantastic.

CDAF is what DSLRs had to resort to for live view, where having the mirror flipped up renders the PDAF system inoperative. Not all DSLRs had it.

Later versions of several Oly 4/3 lenses (usually with a blue ring around the lens near the front, I think) are supposed to be optimised for CDAF and ought to focus better adapted to a m4/3 body.

Having had both mki and mkii 14-54mm lenses I can say that the mkii definitely focuses quicker on an E-P3. If I could prize the G5 from my Daughter's hands I would give it a go, but the 14-45 Panasonic lens is plenty good enough in any case and a bargain second hand (often with a G1 attached :))

Last edited:
Back