Framing Slides for display as is

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Following from the brief discussion with Mark about how pretty slides are I was thinking it might be nice to rig up a back lit photo frame. A deep frame with a couple of diffused leds projecting onto a piece of white perspex, a couple of mf slides with a layer of clear perspex on top.

This wouldn't be all that difficult to knock up and might look quite nice if I ever take some decent photos. Now what's wrong with this idea?

have a look at Electroluminescent sheet, I have a light box here that uses it. Very thin and you ge a nice even diffuse light source:

Nothing, as long as you don't scratch your slides (y)

Absolutely nothing, do it and post your creation up here (y)

I'm not sure what was concerning me more, that there was a glaring flaw or that there wasn't and I'd have to actually try it!

have a look at Electroluminescent sheet, I have a light box here that uses it. Very thin and you ge a nice even diffuse light source:

Cool, I'll take a look. Bet its more effective and much dearer than my idea...

Ooo interesting. Build 2 and I'll have one as well.(y)

Andy

EL sheets aren't that expensive, A5 looks to be about £15 delivered from China. I think I'll do it my original way first as that should be less than that for the plastic and I won't get stuck waiting for Chinese New Year.

Would be light source have to be a similar colour temp to daylight to avoid weird colours? Not a subject I know a great deal about.

Good question, I can get warm white ones if need be. I've got a bit of perspex so going to try making the back light the next couple of days. Need to shoot flame this evening...

It's not the same thing I know, but my local camera shop has a Braun M330 slide projector, which will either throw them at the wall or onto a glass plate that props up. I'd never heard of it before, but there is one on fleabay, I see (currently a pound or so plus £25 postage... it IS heavy!).

Ended up ordering some opal acrylic couple of sheets at a4 for a fiver, purchased a (hopfully) suitable picture frame for £3 from a charity shop.

I tried frosting some clear plastic with sandpaper and I think to get a good look would have taken some time and it would still end up looking slightly scratched so threw money at the problem...

Any one know what colour temperature a proper lightbox runs at? The ones I've seen are a little warmer than high power LED's but much cooler than warm LEDS.

Any one know what colour temperature a proper lightbox runs at? The ones I've seen are a little warmer than high power LED's but much cooler than warm LEDS.

The tubes in mine are 6500k

Would be light source have to be a similar colour temp to daylight to avoid weird colours? Not a subject I know a great deal about.

I think it would be better if it was the same as the ambient lighting in the room.

Steve.

6500k is a good bit warmer than the 8000ish k ultra bright but warm white are about 3500k. I've got some ultra brights so I'll chuck them in and see how it looks for the first go. If it's no good I'll worry about blending in a couple of warm ones or start faffing with rgb.

Back