Freemasons....

Edit My Images
No
I am photographing a Ladies Night in a couple of months time for a local Masonic lodge. Has anyone ever covered one of these events before?

woaw.. thats major.. i would like to see some of them photo's

make sure you take the book that containes all there
''knowledge'' , not everyday you get to go inside masonic lodge or so , i aint too sure.. but make sure you take them 10/10 photos :D

Nope, but I've been I a lodge a couple of times, but that's likely to be of no used to you in that its was in the midlands so likely not the one you'll be at...I was much younger though, I was there with my parents attending a event organised by a family friend who was big in the local order...from memory it was not a lot different from a social/working club I don't remember anything that particularly stood out as being different...well except for the debate and vote on who they were going to allow to become the next prime minister :LOL:

Thread cleaned. If you can't be constructive and help the OP. Stay out of the thread

Charming :LOL:

The only Masonic lodge I've been to also becomes a rock club at weekends (I don't know either) - but it tends to be quite dark, so I think widest aperture lens are the order of the day.

Hi Nick.
I have never "covered" these events but I have been to more than my fair share.
what is it you would like to know?

Nick,
I've been to a couple of these albeit a few years ago. Pretty straight forward. Photograph the couples as they arrive, group shots as requested and prize giving if they have one. Dress code important as normally you'd be expected to wear a DJ. If not sure best check with the organiser.

Just whet to expect really, I have photographed numerous social function (formal and informal) in the past. The Dj is a good idea. It's just i have never photographed a masonic function. It's an area I don't have any knowledge off.

Just whet to expect really, I have photographed numerous social function (formal and informal) in the past. The Dj is a good idea. It's just i have never photographed a masonic function. It's an area I don't have any knowledge off.

Can't really help you there other than to say the couple I've been to there's no rituals:p

Hi Nick.
yes the ladies evenings tend to be very formal.
each lodge can do things very differently but the formality is normally the same.
The worshipful Master and his wife / partner would normally have their photo taken with the guests as they enter the function room.
during the evening there will be a song to the ladies were the singer will firstly approach the Junior warden's position and sing to his lady presenting her with a rose.
he will then approach the senior warden's position and sing to his lady also presenting her with a rose.
finally the singer will approach the top table and sing to the Masters partner where another rose is presented.
photos are normally taken of the singer & ladies at each position.
there could also be an occasion where the Master may present his partner with a gift from the Lodge.
the rooms are normally very well lit so the equipment required is quite small.

I would suggest speaking to the director of ceremonies (DC) of the Lodge holding the event as he is normally the person who controls the evening.
other than what I have mentioned above there are not normally many more opportunities for photography.

if you need anything else give me a shout & I'll help if I can
if you get the opportunity then enjoy yourself, they are just normal people having a good time.

Hi Nick.
yes the ladies evenings tend to be very formal.
each lodge can do things very differently but the formality is normally the same.
The worshipful Master and his wife / partner would normally have their photo taken with the guests as they enter the function room.
during the evening there will be a song to the ladies were the singer will firstly approach the Junior warden's position and sing to his lady presenting her with a rose.
he will then approach the senior warden's position and sing to his lady also presenting her with a rose.
finally the singer will approach the top table and sing to the Masters partner where another rose is presented.
photos are normally taken of the singer & ladies at each position.
there could also be an occasion where the Master may present his partner with a gift from the Lodge.
the rooms are normally very well lit so the equipment required is quite small.

I would suggest speaking to the director of ceremonies (DC) of the Lodge holding the event as he is normally the person who controls the evening.
other than what I have mentioned above there are not normally many more opportunities for photography.

if you need anything else give me a shout & I'll help if I can
if you get the opportunity then enjoy yourself, they are just normal people having a good time.

Many thanks for that useful insight. I'm quite looking forward to it. I will approach the DC as you suggest.

Hi Nick
you are welcome, I'm glad it was of use to you.
I don't know how interested you are but occasionally on request the lodge's open the Lodge room to allow non masons to view the rooms.
I'm not sure about photo's though you would have to ask.

Hope you enjoy the evening

Back