Freshwater East – Dawn Rising

buckas

Mister Forum Regular
Name
Drew
Edit My Images
No
Sun rises on a new day at Freshwater East in Pembrokeshire viewed from the sand dunes. Prominent headlands are East Moor Cliff, Priest’s Nose and Old Castle Head

FreshwaterEast-DawnRising.png

5D3 - 24-70 Mk2 - 24mm - 20 s - f/16 - ISO 100

cheers
drew

It's a lovely image.

I don't think the sand below the coarse grass at the bottom of the image adds much and i'd be tempted with a square crop, but that's a personal preference.

It's a lovely image.

I don't think the sand below the coarse grass at the bottom of the image adds much and i'd be tempted with a square crop, but that's a personal preference.

yes crop a bit...and if you had the facilities a bit of fill on that grass??
optional is to dodge it
ps...place names are good but the shot really is about photography unless its a postcard view
cheers
geof
PS on a second view perhaps the sky could do with the crop to preserve the sand and grass detail
some sky of course as its quite noticeable

HE SAYS NO

Last edited:
Keep the sky. :LOL:

I agree - the sky and sea have lovely colours in them but the mass of sand and dune grass doesn't really do it for me.

#how strange the change from major to minor#

yes its a shot with a great amount of expression and caters for all tastes...
its the upright format which makes it difficult to scan

There's a lot here to like but somehow all the fine ingredients don't quite reach Ella Fitzgerald's artistic heights (A very high level I admit).

I think it's to do with that fantastic sunset. If we see a wonderful sunset we are naturally moved by its splendour and seek to photograph it. This is a rare and beautiful sunset very well photographed but sunsets on their own rarely make a successful photograph. Is the subject the grass or the sunset?

I may be wrong but if we perceive something as 'beautiful' in the first place, a flower, a sunset K.Moss (?) etc then the bar is set high to begin with, ie our expectations are high and it takes a lot to impress us. For me some of the most successful landscape photography takes a mundane scene and makes it interesting partly because our expectation is low and seeing a different take looks interesting. If that makes sense.

Back