From Aperture to LR6. Time to move?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Often we see the question about which post processing software is best. I'm firmly in the camp that the best pp software is the one you know best. I know Aperture well and have used it for many years but now wondering if it is time to move to LR6.

On recommendation, I tried out LR4 and found the interface difficult too different and never really used it. I also have DXO and found it all too automated and stuck with Aperture.

With no further updates and the potential for no more downloads of Aperture I'm wondering if now is the time to bite the bullet and buy the standalone version of LR6 (I hate the idea of monthly subscription).

Wondering if there is anyone else in a similar position that has already made the leap. I'd be interested in how you are getting along.

Thanks.

Hi Chris,
Yes I'm in the same boat, but not convinced about Lightroom.
I'm looking at Affinity Photo by Serif as an alternative

I'm also in the same boat having bought a Canon 70D that isn't compatible with Photoshop CS5 in processing RAW files. I have tried downloading the latest version of ACR (8.8) but still no good.

What I did was download the trial versions of LR6, Elements 13, CaptureOne and Paint Shop X7 and ran comparison tests using the desktop quartered into 4. I then opened the same RAW file in each one and made all settings zero. I looked at visual appearance of the file and straight away the PSP X7 looked totally different.

I then changed the settings uniformly on all to Daylight then to Shade. Again PSP was way out. The next steps were with Highlight reduction, Contrast then Clarity. PSP got un-installed.

My next task was to look at the usability of the remaining three. How did it open a RAW file? How do I change the settings using that softwares interface? Once processed how does it handle further editing?

The one I had high hopes for was LR6 but once I'd done the basic changes I could see no way of editing the file easily without opening it up in Photoshop CS5. It wouldn't do it because the RAW file being used wasn't compatible. I tried to save it as a .tiff and again CS5 threw it out. I also found the LR6 way of doing things over complicated with too many drop down menu's that had no real relevance to what I wanted to do.

CaptureOne was also similar in respect of the dropdowns and when I came to edit the file further I came up against more complicated buttons etc scattered all over the place.

Elements was much simpler without being made for idiots as long as I used the Guided and Expert modes. The appearance of the ACR window was the same as the older version on CS5 and I felt comfortable with that. Some sections such as HSL and camera correction were missing but that can be found in Elements proper anyway.

The file opened up easily in Elements and I could work on it straight away. I used to save Actions in CS5 but Elements can't do that but I have now got round that using a kind of snippets folder that I can use to store borders and a logo in that I can then add back in using the Place instruction.

I've decided to go with Elements on cost, ease of use, customability and because I only need one piece of software. With LR6 I would need to factor in the cost of a Photoshop CC subscription and CaptureOne I found far too complicated.

I'd suggest giving Elements a try out using the 30 day trial and see how you get on. There are gimmicky things included with it but they can be ignored. Overall it's a decent bit of software.

I have tried Canons DPP 4 but I found it a bit too dumbed down for my liking. I will still keep it on my PC though just in case.

Thanks both.

I already have PSE 10 that I rarely use. I find the interface cluttered and too cluttered with stuff I don't use. With a Aperture you can decide which modules you want to use.

why do have to drop Aperture if you like it.you can use an external HD with Yosemite installed and Aperture installed. then if the next new update for mac doesn't run Aperture
just boot into the Ext HD. and use the new non supportive OS X as usual.

No reason to drop aperture yet if it still does what you want. The modules visible in Capture One, Lightroom and DXOP can be turned off and on, so you only see the ones you want to use and it reduces the complexity & faff. Each of these packages has advantages and disadvantages, strengths and weaknesses, but they also appear to offer very similar overall functionality. Worth downloading the trial versions and working through IF you really need to change.

Hey guys! I would give Phase One's Capture One Pro 8 very serious consideration. You can download a 30-day Trial.

It's not just me who is saying that its RAW Converter is superior to both Apple's and Adobe's Lightroom and good RAW conversion is fundamental.

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Imaging-Software/Capture-One.aspx

:)

I guess you are right. There is no requirement to update but the work around just deals the inevitable. Maybe it is time for me to learn something new and very probably that is a good thing.

I have read that Adobe are not planning to support the standalone version of LR6. Now that sounds odd that they'd offer an option that they are telling people has a planned redundancy route as soon as you buy it.

I have read that Adobe are not planning to support the standalone version of LR6. Now that sounds odd that they'd offer an option that they are telling people has a planned redundancy route as soon as you buy it.

....Yet another reason why I chose not to migrate my workflow from Aperture to Lightroom. There may be some advantages to sticking your valuable assets up in the clouds but you then become vunerable to how well, or not, the hyperinterwebbynet and its servers and providers are behaving on the day.

Ooops! The hyperinterwebbynet hiccup'd and my reply ended up getting posted twice. Sorry, folks.

Last edited:
I guess you are right. There is no requirement to update but the work around just deals the inevitable. Maybe it is time for me to learn something new and very probably that is a good thing.

All software is expected to have a finite shelf life when it's part of a development series, and Adobe are supporting LR6, but they won't be adding more features to stand alone Lightroom in the future. It will work just as well in 5 years time as it does now too - probably better with the incremental updates they'll have to roll out to bug-fix.

....Yet another reason why I chose not to migrate my workflow from Aperture to Lightroom. There may be some advantages to sticking your valuable assets up in the clouds but you then become vunerable to how well, or not, the hyperinterwebbynet and its servers and providers are behaving on the day.

What assets in the cloud? Nobody is forcing you to put any images in the cloud.

What assets in the cloud? Nobody is forcing you to put any images in the cloud.
It's likely the name of the software that's causing confusion.

....My apologies if I have misled anyone, Toni the ancient mariner is right - I thought that "CC" was all about Clouds.

Apple is certainly pushing users to use the iCloud in their new Photos app.

Creative Cloud is the Adobe trade name for the licensing model. :)

....Then if it's not pushing or encouraging you to shove your creative assets up in a Cloud, then I think that Adobe are misleading - It's not a serious issue though.

Either way, I have made my decision and am very happy so far with my move from Aperture to Capture One Pro 8 and not to Adobe Lightroom.

The name is is a bit misleading. It's really just a subscription model.
The software is still installed on your HDD, the same as a perpetual licence. Your images are still stored on your PC, exactly the same as before.
You can still use the software without being connected to the internet, as long as you connect at least once a month so that Adobe can verify your subscription.
You of course have the option to sync image previews to the cloud so that you can edit using lightroom mobile, but that's entirely up to you.

COP8 does look interesting. I've downloaded a trial and just watch a couple of the videos.
Will take a bit of getting used to, but it appears to have a few very nice features that are missing from LR. (Something I think many LR users were hoping to see a bit of, but after 2 years of LR5, all we got was Panorama, HDR and GPU acceleration which doesn't work)

Marketing: let's take 2 current buzzwords & add them to the name of our new software program. What could go wrong? ;)

I have read that Adobe are not planning to support the standalone version of LR6.

Nope.

You have read that Adobe will not be offering any functional updates to the standalone LR6. They will, however, be offering bug-fixes and support for new cameras.

Er, just like all previous versions then.

For the time being i am sticking with LR5.5 its stable and does all i need, LR6 HDR and Pano are attractive but i already have Autopano and Photomatix.

The 2 things that put me off LR6 are the faces and gentle push for using cloud based images for editing on the road i feel if i was a wedding photographer or someone who needed faces i would switch but i am concerned it would find faces that never actually were there

I am on OS X 10.10.2 and LR6 crashes for me after it sleeps not tried it on OS X 10.10.3 though

Tried capture not fond and i will keep iPhoto and not open the new Apple photos system as again i do not want cloud storage just my 2 cents and based on where i live but the internet is way to poor for paying a subscription

Layers (Nice feature would like to see this in LR)
Different Clarity Settings (Nice feature would like to see this in LR)
Camera / Lens Specific Noise Reduction (After testing this does not seem as good as LR)
Much better colour editor (Nice feature would like to see this in LR)
Better Split Toning (Not a game changer)
The Raw converter is definitely more refined and i feel image quality has a slight edge over LR. (Not sure this would sway me from LR though)

That's what I've found so far. It's not perfect and I'm finding it difficult finding my way around, but that's probably because I've been using LR since V1

Last edited:
For the time being i am sticking with LR5.5 its stable and does all i need, LR6 HDR and Pano are attractive but i already have Autopano and Photomatix.

The 2 things that put me off LR6 are the faces and gentle push for using cloud based images for editing on the road i feel if i was a wedding photographer or someone who needed faces i would switch but i am concerned it would find faces that never actually were there

I am on OS X 10.10.2 and LR6 crashes for me after it sleeps not tried it on OS X 10.10.3 though

Tried capture not fond and i will keep iPhoto and not open the new Apple photos system as again i do not want cloud storage just my 2 cents and based on where i live but the internet is way to poor for paying a subscription

You do realise that NONE of these apps force you to store images in the cloud. Not even Apple Photos.

Lightroom 6 will no doubt get updates when it becomes Lightroom 7.

You do realise that it doesn't come complete with an armed guy who forces you to use the face recognition?

There's a suggestion that Lightroom 7 will never happen because it will be part of the CC model only.

I would suggest you ignore suggestions.
It was suggested by Adobe when CC was introduced that LR would always be available as a perpetual licence.

Could that change? sure, but Adobe have certainly not said anything.

Layers (Nice feature would like to see this in LR)
Different Clarity Settings (Nice feature would like to see this in LR)
Camera / Lens Specific Noise Reduction (After testing this does not seem as good as LR)
Much better colour editor (Nice feature would like to see this in LR)
Better Split Toning (Not a game changer)
The Raw converter is definitely more refined and i feel image quality has a slight edge over LR. (Not sure this would sway me from LR though)

That's what I've found so far. It's not perfect and I'm finding it difficult finding my way around, but that's probably because I've been using LR since V1

Capture One is expensive though.....unless you use their subscription model!

You do realise that NONE of these apps force you to store images in the cloud. Not even Apple Photos.
I do thanks I am being more cautious before update any software after Yosemite and iOS 8 farce along with as mentioned LR 6 crashes on my machine when it wakes up

If you check other posts I made you will see I was one of the lucky ones who when Yosemite was launched I lost maps function in LR5.5 only got back a functioning system when OSX 10.10.2 was launched

Got Yosemite latest version installed on my external drive along with Aperture.Nice fresh start and will stick with this for the foreseeable future

I have been using this for a while after exporting a library from Aperture. I was hoping that I was going together used to LR6 and find it intuitive. I don't. I just don't like the interface. Don't get me wrong, I was using CS5 and previous versionsfor years .

I'm wondering if it looks the same on a PC as it does on a Mac? Maybe that is why it is so popular?

Lightroom uses the same interface on both - the only differences are in the system toolbar at the top and the keystrokes required for some actions (control/command etc)

To me aperture was brilliant, and having use adobe lighteoom now for about two months and put about 1200 photos through it, and created three online sites and two books.....I still find the user interface unnecessarily clunky and taking more clicks, steps, view changes than is necessary.

It is most definitely from that perspective a retrograde step, but hey Apple decided not to develop aperture further and photos is much worse then lightroom. Despite its clunky ways you can get the job done.

Back