Critique From the beginning

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone.

I am totally new digital photography. I recently bought a Fujifilm X-M1 to get me started. I only have the kit lens and a tripod. I fully appreciate that this is far from the pinnacle. I have Lightroom 5 and tend to edit using this software.

I would really appreciate any feedback anyone would care to give - positive, negative or otherwise - as I really just want to improve.

Here are a few samples;

Rabbit, Rabbit
by AndyWalker1871, on Flickr

Moody Snowdrop

Worthing Beach

Thanks for reading/looking.

Last edited:
Good shots, I like them :)

The first one is a great idea, and I like the inclusion of the shadow. I think that it's cropped a little too tight on the white rabbit though.

On the second one, I find the front most flower distracting as it's too out of focus. Apart from that I love the saturation and contrast of it.

The third is great, and I dont think there's anything that I would change. The exposure is good and has caught detail in the bright sky and shadowy foreground. Composition is good with great use of the rule of thirds, although I find that it leads my eye out of frame to the right (Don't think there's much you could have done about that though.)

Nice work :D

Oh, and by the way, Lightroom is a fantastic tool. I used to use Photoshop but for general photography I think Lightroom is much better and easier, so that's pretty much all I use now. Plus it has some amazing organisational capabilities (Lightrooms best feature in my opinion).

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a response Carl. I totally agree with everything you have said.

1. The crop is too tight. I might re-do it.

2. Agreed. I was struggling to get focus on the front snowdrop. Maybe I was too close?

3. Again, totally agree, it leads me off to the right of shot as well. Lesson learnt.

I think it is easy to go overboard when using Lr. I am trying my best to not go too crazy with the contrast and saturation.

Thanks again.

Hi Adam. Welcome to the forum! :)

You've chosen a very nice camera to enter the world of Digital Photography with! The Fuji system is a nice one to progress with and build up.

As for the pics, great start!

#1 -Is missing
#2 - A nice clump of Snowdrops you've found there. For me though, you have missed the focus on the front stem which is where i want to keep looking. Maybe that is just me, but i feel it detracts from a nice photo with potential. The actual bunch of Snowdrops has a nice feel to it. The sky looks like you have darkened it a little too much though or tried to pull the highlights back too much.
#3 - A great shot which is full of detail! The sun is a little blown, but that is to be expected. Do you know what you metered on for the shot? Metering on the sun may have helped you out a little or you could have took two shots, one for the sky and one for the beach then merged them should you have needed to. The leading line is really strong and good.
#4 - REALLY like this one. The more i look the more i like. The shadow shows that you are thinking about your shots and composing them well. There are a few marks in the shadows that could do with a little bit of a tidy up and there is a squigly line behind the white rabbit that catches the eye. Sort those and it'll become a much stronger image imo.

HTH,
David.

Hi Adam. Welcome to the forum! :)

You've chosen a very nice camera to enter the world of Digital Photography with! The Fuji system is a nice one to progress with and build up.

As for the pics, great start!

#1 -Is missing
#2 - A nice clump of Snowdrops you've found there. For me though, you have missed the focus on the front stem which is where i want to keep looking. Maybe that is just me, but i feel it detracts from a nice photo with potential. The actual bunch of Snowdrops has a nice feel to it. The sky looks like you have darkened it a little too much though or tried to pull the highlights back too much.
#3 - A great shot which is full of detail! The sun is a little blown, but that is to be expected. Do you know what you metered on for the shot? Metering on the sun may have helped you out a little or you could have took two shots, one for the sky and one for the beach then merged them should you have needed to. The leading line is really strong and good.
#4 - REALLY like this one. The more i look the more i like. The shadow shows that you are thinking about your shots and composing them well. There are a few marks in the shadows that could do with a little bit of a tidy up and there is a squigly line behind the white rabbit that catches the eye. Sort those and it'll become a much stronger image imo.

HTH,
David.

I assumed that people thought that the X M1 is just a hipster camera!?

Re #3 I didn't meter on the sun. I should have. Thanks. [noobalert]leading line?[/noobalert]

Re #4 Thank you so such for the compliment. Are you referring to the shadow 'marks' on the white wall at the top/center of the image?

Thanks for your help.

Leading lines are lines that draw you into the photo. So the line of wooden posts lead your eye into and across the picture. As Carl said, it does kind of lead you out of the frame but it's still a nice line. Google it for the proper meaning and some pointers on how to include them in your shots.

As for the shadow marks, they appear around the 'ray' of shadow that leads to the rabbit shadow... just makes the image look a little mucky imo. A quick dab with an adjustment brush in Lightroom should be enough to sort it.

Leading lines are lines that draw you into the photo. So the line of wooden posts lead your eye into and across the picture. As Carl said, it does kind of lead you out of the frame but it's still a nice line. Google it for the proper meaning and some pointers on how to include them in your shots.

Interesting that you don't find this line distracting.

As for the shadow marks, they appear around the 'ray' of shadow that leads to the rabbit shadow... just makes the image look a little mucky imo. A quick dab with an adjustment brush in Lightroom should be enough to sort it.

I agree. I'll try to modify it in Lightroom. I had assumed that that this would need to be done in PS?

Hey Andy, I run the Brighton Photographers Group, I see your shot in Worthing, if you are local come join us on a workshop, or day out ;)

The rabbits shot is the most interesting, keep at it ;)

Back