Frozen water, or milky......which do you prefer?

Name
Carole
Edit My Images
Yes
York in October 06

I tried to do a comparison between capturing water looking like water, and water looking like milk, however, it was handheld so not as good as if on a tripod.

frozen-water.jpg

milky-water.jpg

Everyone seems to be favoring "milky" effect in the photo mags, just lately, but what do you prefer? Post your favorites.

In these shots I prefer water, the DoF in both shots combined with the milky effect make the latter look out of focus, whereas in the first you have a point of the image that is sharp - on a wider view or a different location I think the milky effect would work better, also a tripod would probably improve things also.

Its just a coincidence in the last shot that everything within the depth of field is moving so the shot as a whole looks out of focus, if you understand what I mean :thinking:

(y)

Having had the opportunity to have a play with this effect recently, I have to admit to finding it a bit difficult. That is, its easy to set the camera up to get the long exposure and the milky effect on the water, but the balance required is more of a problem. I find that often the water effect leads to the overall picture looking OOF or not sitting comfortably in the eye.

The first shot is a clear winner for me too ... (y)

Don't really like the effect of your second I'm afraid ... :shrug:

:p

If the background was in sharp focus in #2 that would be a winner, but as it is #1 stands

i like number one. i see what you've tried to do with the gaussian blur but you've left bits sharp that are the same distance as blurred bits and that kinda gets me i'm afraid.

i like the idea tho :)

Back